Carolina

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Carolina

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:58 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Carolina

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:13 am

I have to disagree with Jon on one point. This kid isn't typical. He's sick. Now, he's not less sick than the jihadists who commit the same type of crimes. Stewart's right about that. They are exactly the same. The only question is how we define the sickness and how we address it. Stewart's right that we have done a piss poor job.

It's not just murder; it's terrorism, and he should be tried as a terrorist. Though, I'm waiting to see whether, like the guy Brevik in Norway, he'll be found sane. If so, then perhaps his claims will be addressed. If he's found insane, even temporarily, it will be an easy way to ignore that his type of terrorism is not new at all in this country or even against this church.

Now, whether the beliefs and ideology that lead people to commit these type of attacks is crazy, psychopathic or pathological, they are clearly dangerous. Logically, they should be treated the same way we think IS and radical Islamists should be. That won't happen, and might not even be imagined, except by satirists.

Ironically, he murdered Christians, middle-aged Reverends, at a prayer meeting in their church. The congregants at that church are probably praying for his soul. And, it's more than likely that this will bring people of faith together in the nearby communities. It'd be great if there were an IamCharleston movement, but I think that type of identification only happens when people believe that an attack was against something they identify with. So, we'll see.

But, this guy? He was just sick enough to act on ideas that lots of people have but consider un-pc.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:30 am

30,000 gun deaths per year in our country makes BILLIONS of $$$ for the companies that the NRA lobbies for.
Gun Nuts don't mind this bloodbath because it supports their cowardly hobby.
Meanwhile the ultra rich are laughing at these rubes all the way to the bank.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:14 am

Interesting can be to compare US and rest of the word, in this killing statistic,
or selectively -single-> contemporary >war zone<
but
problems is more rooted in the mind not in the tool!
even if you allow only hunting riffles - it is as deadly as .45, just more visible and not so easy to pulling out suddenly...
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:03 am

2013[5] 32,719 2,946 1.11 316,129,000 10.345 positive decrease-3.3%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... S._by_year

only 32,719 auto deaths, more then guns, we'er on the way to removing the main factor, people driving them.

Gun Nuts don't mind this bloodbath because it supports their cowardly hobby.

Dont like guns, never have. how is owning or using one "cowardly"
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:17 am

Ak-47s and bombs don't kill people, idiots and their ideologies do. Terrorists should all be judged for what they are. True. If he'd used a pipe bomb or molotov cocktail (as was done to churches like this before), the ideology and motivation would be the same. The gun issue is a diversion.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:44 am

Terrorists should all be judged for what they are.

Agree, if we had a free press this might be possible. As it is there is to much bias in the media.

a sad event, sorry for the families who lost people.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 am

Oh, media bias may be why he won't be called a terrorist. But, the media isn't responsible for creating him. Besides, he would agree that the media is biased too.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Glad to see that if nothing else at least the South is reconsidering flying the Confederate flag on state property.

Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby chud on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:48 pm

grzegorz wrote:Glad to see that if nothing else at least the South is reconsidering flying the Confederate flag on state property.

Yeah, because that'll solve the problem. ::)
chud
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:07 pm

I agree. The flag is not the problem, and changing what's outside won't change what's inside. However, that doesn't change the fact that flying that flag is the same as flying the banner of any enemy of the national flag. Sure, it's not the swastika --not that those who fly one don't often fly the other-- but it is the battle flag of an enemy state. Moreover, flying it is a tradition that began in the 1960s, not the 1860s. And, there's no doubt what the flag symbolizes to the SC shooter and those with his views. Outlawing the flag won't do anything. Though, to me, it's no different than flying the IS flag or the Japanese battle flag.
http://theweek.com/articles/562004/surp ... erate-flag
Last edited by Steve James on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:14 pm

chud wrote:
grzegorz wrote:Glad to see that if nothing else at least the South is reconsidering flying the Confederate flag on state property.

Yeah, because that'll solve the problem. ::)

LOL!

I completely agree with you. In fact I'll go as far as saying that the flag doesn't offend me.

But having something that divides people living in their State on state grounds in which they pay taxes for just doesn't make sense.

At the local trailer park, go right ahead.

Besides...

Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Ya know, fwiw, the flag doesn't offend me at all. What offends me is the reason some people fly it. Unfortunately, I'll bet that there'll be people who'll buy and fly the flag now just for spite, or should I say to show support. It's an "IamConfederateFlag" opportunity. It won't be an "IamCharleston" moment, you'll notice. People will show their support for the flag as an indication of their support of the Constitution. That offends me, too. Oh, not that they do it, but that they expect anyone to buy it when it's merely the last refuge for scoundrels. I understand why they can't see it, though.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby chud on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Dylan Roof's father, Bennett Roof, is not exactly father-of-the-year material.
History of domestic violence, and then a bitter divorce:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/06/22/dylann-roofs-teenage-years-marked-by-fathers-bitter-divorce/
chud
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Thanks for the article.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic