got in a fight

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

got in a fight

Postby Craig on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:03 pm

I got into my first "real" fight on monday night. I was out at a club dancing and he barged into our group drunk as hell trying to be intimidating so a girl i was with sorta hip nudged him out of the circle in a very comedic fashion. He must have thought it was me cos he came back in and tried to flying knee me (i thought it was some crazy dance move haha). I managed to move out of the way then grab his leg, put my head close to his chest and took a couple steps foward pushing him off balance then we got pulled apart and he got bounced. He must have thrown maybe 5 or 6 punches at me while I had his leg, but either im mostly invincible or none of them hit (dont really remember it all happened very fast, over in about 3 seconds). Only injury i ended with is a scratch on my ear lobe, I gather from a ring or something, although i didnt even feel it, i only noticed when someone said about 10 mins later that i had some blood on my ear.

It was a bit odd for me because I didnt adrenaline dump or anything, wasnt the least bit mad about it and i never really entered my "fight" mode, as in a didnt have any intention to try and strike him at any point. I dont know if this is a good thing (that i remained so calm and collected) or a bad thing (that i didnt react properly/skillfully).

What do you guys think?

My mates were keen to hunt him down and lay into him but i told them not to worry about it and we went back to dancing and doing our thing and ended up having a really good night.
Craig
Great Old One

Re: got in a fight

Postby qiphlow on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:06 pm

was will ferrel on the sidelines saying "look, they're breakdance fighting!" ?

esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Craig wrote:he came back in and tried to flying knee me (i thought it was some crazy dance move haha).

;D ;D

It was a bit odd for me because I didnt adrenaline dump or anything, wasnt the least bit mad about it and i never really entered my "fight" mode, as in a didnt have any intention to try and strike him at any point. I dont know if this is a good thing (that i remained so calm and collected) or a bad thing (that i didnt react properly/skillfully).

What do you guys think?

I think you should've made The Decision.
Ian

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:40 pm

Call it good...you got home safe.
Chris McKinley

Postby Ben on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:57 pm

Sounds like you did just fine. Don't over think it.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:18 am

No injuries. No escalation. No ejection. Didn't spill your drink. No revenge scenarios. A+

Possible swell head from talking about it later bumps you down to a C.
Michael

Postby nianfong on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:28 am

is this the party you wanted to cry at craig? :D
nianfong
Administrator

Postby yusuf on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:52 am

Taiji Craig didn't tell us that it was his date that attacked him...

:)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:15 am

yusuf wrote:Taiji Craig didn't tell us that it was his date that attacked him...

:)

Craig about to deliver the people's elbow on his date...

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:13 am

good response to the situation Craig. Obviously there was no need to move further into the conflict. The lack of an adrenal dump at the time is not that suprising seeing as it does not seem you felt particularly threatened. I wonder though whether you got the old shaky legs a little later? Personally I find when a situation escalates quicker than I can mentally keep up with I get through the situation before i notice the dump and the dump comes across largely through the shakes and a general loss of fine motor skill.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:24 am

Guy,

didnt get the shakey legs later or at all. it didnt bother me in the least, the only thing that really is bothering me is would my reaction (i.e. not much) been the same had the guy actually had some sort of skill about him or it didnt get broken up, or would I have just frozen? i know plenty of things to do once you have someones leg that can put the on the ground quickly and painfully if needed, but i didnt use any of those things and I think this is mainly because i didnt have any intent to do anything; i didnt enter my "fight mode". And if that is the case, whats a good thing to do to train yourself to enter your "fight mode" quickly as a response to an out of the blue action like some random dude trying to flying knee you? He did throw a whole heap of punches my way, although i cant remember if i was ducking them properly or if he was just too shit to hit me (cant really remember what was going through my head, mostly a whole heap of nothing i assume - no different from normal ;D). Anyways just sort of thinking out loud. Keep the opinions coming :)
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:37 am

Craig wrote:i didnt enter my "fight mode". And if that is the case, whats a good thing to do to train yourself to enter your "fight mode" quickly as a response to an out of the blue action like some random dude trying to flying knee you?

doesn't sound like you needed to do much more, though.

if you want to train to enter your fight mode, there's an excellent drill:

3 or more people stand around you. you turn your back while they agree amongst themselves who's going to attack. you turn to face them, one guy attacks, you do the work.

make sure you finish the complete sequence. it might be strike, takedown, finishing move. whatever.

the attack should be committed. the attacker can help you by thinking aggressively.

oh yeah, just focus on reacting to his intention, not his actions. that way your moves will appear automatically.

this drill is heaps of fun, IMO.
Last edited by Ian on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Return to Off the Topic