shoulder stability

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

shoulder stability

Postby everything on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:15 am

I was reading today that the shoulder is very flexible mainly because the joint is proportionately more soft tissue and less bone but that means stability is also reliant on soft tissue doing its thing.

anyway, my left shoulder isn't so stable. for example, holding just a 10-15 lb weight above my head and moving my torso around (or, say, doing a turkish getup), I can feel it "wobble" and seek stability whereas on the right, stabilizing is automatic and not really felt. there are too many reasons for this issue due to injuries that i can't really understand all the problems, but other than subjective feeling of more stability, what should I be looking for as far as signs of improvement? I don't need to do a handstand or anything. I would like to do the TGUs but I don't really want to use a much heavier weight on the right side and throw everything else out of balance so I'm stuck using whatever my left agrees with for now...
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: shoulder stability

Postby David Boxen on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:56 am

Don't know what your limitations are since you say you've had injuries, but barring any medically diagnosed reason not to, I'd say use a barbell and press overhead. Sign of improvement - being able to lift more weight.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby Peacedog on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:22 am

+1 on the overhead press with a barbell. If you can press overhead without pain, it sounds like you just need to get stronger. You can start with an empty 20kg/45lb barbell. Add 2kgs/5lbs a session. When that gets too heavy add 1kg/2.5lbs per session. Micro-load after that.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:13 am

Finny
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:35 am

I am using fitness bands to perform 'shoulder dislocates' at the moment. Very controlled and very slow. I do them led face first on the ground. Also simple hanging from a pull up bar is something i have trained and am playing with. Changing position using scapular related muscles and also externally and internally rotating the shoulder while hanging. Lastly i perform Dragon Serves Teacups from Ba gua.

Shoulder Dislocates.

Here is a couple of great videos for shoulder work.

Here is some Active Hanging stuff.

cheers
Last edited by middleway on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby meeks on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:48 am

"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby everything on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm doing something like that first Bagua exercise - rotating a KB using two hands around my head.

A barbell would be too heavy, sadly.

I know I should see a trainer or my PT but for now I'll try adding a small amount of weight to my exercise.

Just holding a 10 lb weight overhead and shifting my torso out of the vertical plane isn't working so well.

Hanging from a bar is fine and feels great.

I think it's just a certain angle that is messed up.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Simon on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Actice and passive hangs is a good place to start for a month, if you can do it everyday starting with 10 secs each for multiple sets. Ido did a challenge not long ago on this http://www.idoportal.com/blog/hanging
Simon
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Active hangs and arch hands especially are most important (as in the above videos) - passive hang can be damaging in the beginning if the shoulder is very loose.

Also essential for scapula control:

Then integrate the scapula control back into standard movements: pushups/bench press, overhead press, pullups, bent over rows or incline pullups, dips, windmills-bent press, TGU, etc
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:37 pm

She's doing them badly (weight needs to be held straight up) but these are good too, spiral fully into internal rotation on the way down, external rotation on the way up:

and also some variation of cuban rotations - chances are your external rotators aren't doing so good, so you need to switch em on:

I-mon
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Coming back to this thread after too long. I finally tried the "shoulder dislocates" with a stick. Feels really good. My bad shoulder seems to really like this exercise.

So I'm wondering about very tiny progressions from here. Perhaps do:
- shoulder dislocates with somewhat heavier bar (like 1-2 lbs)?
- kettlebell halo exercise?

I can't do the press overhead yet because it causes more (bad) pain. I can't even do TGUs with a 15 lb KB w/o having issues. I want to get to the right amount of strength/mobility so that I CAN DO the TGUs as part of that Pavel minimum KB routine (TGUs and swings). I don't intend to do military press. That would be an astounding amount of icing on the cake.

Thanks for any more advice or for elaborating on your earlier points.
everything
Wuji

Postby qiphlow on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:15 pm

it may be worthwhile to find an orthopedic surgeon who does sports medicine and have him/her take a look at your shoulder.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Yeah have done but they offered to rebreak. Going more conservative on the soft tissue healing

Also applied heat which was amazing
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic