Lion

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Lion

Postby wiesiek on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:02 am

kill the fuckin` bastard!
American Dentist, shit!
let obstruction be his ,for rest of his miserable life!
:-[
His head should be mounted on the main gate of the Park. -sumo-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Re: Lion

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:23 am

I hate dentists. They are evil basterds and this proves me right. -rock-

Just kill all of 'em. Before it's too late. -joint-

Otoh...
Perspective... We are speaking about one single lion....

If the low estimate of the number of species out there is true - i.e. that there are around 2 million different species on our planet** - then that means between 200 and 2,000 extinctions occur every year.
But if the upper estimate of species numbers is true - that there are 100 million different species co-existing with us on our planet - then between 10,000 and 100,000 species are becoming extinct each year.

Unlike the mass extinction events of geological history, the current extinction challenge is one for which a single species - ours - appears to be almost wholly responsible. This is often referred to as the 6th extinction crisis, after the 5 known extinction waves in geological history. So without arguing about who’s right or wrong. Or what the exact numbers are. There can be little debate that there is, in fact, a very serious biodiversity crisis. - See more at: http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/bi ... ZT4jO.dpuf
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:05 am

i am beginning to seriously think that we, the most intelligent being on earth, have not a single idea what we are doing.
none, nil, zero.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:29 am

It's not really a species wide problem. It's an attitude taken by a few selfish-people. This whole thing is wrong on many levels. Imo, the most galling is that it was done so that a guy could take a smiling selfie and carry a trophy back home. The poachers who lured the lion for the money, I can understand. But, if there were a lot of them, there wouldn't be any lions at all. It's just "big-game" "hunters" who spend their vacations killing the most beautiful examples of a species they can find. This does nothing for the gene pool, but nature can straighten that out. Unfortunately, it's true that there are far more humans than lions, and all it takes is a relatively few humans to decimate an animal species. Fortunately, most humans only kill because of a perceived need. They need to find a way to deal with the knuckle-headed few. That's their key to survival.

Oh, and this was an example of a botched hunt anyway. He shot the lion with a crossbow, but it took 40 hours for the animal to be found and dispatched with a shot. Iow, it wasn't even a humane kill.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:31 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:52 am

The lion's proclivity for man-eating has been systematically examined. American and Tanzanian scientists report that man-eating behavior in rural areas of Tanzania increased greatly from 1990 to 2005. At least 563 villagers were attacked and many eaten over this period—a number far exceeding the more famed "Tsavo" incidents of a century earlier. The incidents occurred near Selous National Park in Rufiji District and in Lindi Province near the Mozambican border. While the expansion of villagers into bush country is one concern, the authors argue that conservation policy must mitigate the danger because, in this case, conservation contributes directly to human deaths. Cases in Lindi have been documented where lions seize humans from the centre of substantial villages. It is estimated that 550–700 people are attacked by lions every year.[6]

550–700 people are attacked by lions every year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-eater

14. African Lions - The latest numbers indicate around 70 people per year are killed by lions. It's not so much that they want to us but, hey.. king of the jungle. They'll do whatever they want.

http://www.viralnova.com/animals-that-kill-humans/

I wonder how many loins are killed by those that have to live in the areas they happen to hunt in.

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/ ... VB20150730

"Loins are killed all the time in this Country"

Kinda answers the question about those who live it the same areas as the loins.

not a fan of game hunters, or hunting.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:16 am

Um, like I said, most humans kill because they need to, whether for food or protection. This particular lion was part of a research project and was on a protected reservation. It was killed so that a US dentist could take a selfie. How many US dentists did lions kill? I.e., comparing what he did to what any African who lives near lions has to do is just silliness. The issue wasn't about "lions" being killed. That's what makes it special.

Get it?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:25 am

Leave us not forget ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKfpAhaVRTs

Yep, lions see people as food. It's in their dna. But, this is what is in our dna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rTYCc2ZF2o
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:34 am

"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:07 pm

Do a google image search for "hunted lion."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:33 pm

Steve James wrote:Um, like I said, most humans kill because they need to, whether for food or protection. This particular lion was part of a research project and was on a protected reservation. It was killed so that a US dentist could take a selfie. How many US dentists did lions kill? I.e., comparing what he did to what any African who lives near lions has to do is just silliness. The issue wasn't about "lions" being killed. That's what makes it special.

Get it?

na you dont get it.

It was killed because thats the businesses that curtain countries practice, big game hunting. Some people enjoy it, I dont care for the idea of it,
but others do and make a case for why it helps to preserve the animals they hunt.

I have been lucky to have had the opportunity to go on numerous African Hunting Safaris and to hunt turkey, white tails, brown bear, elephants, lions, tahr and everything in between in my 43 years of hunting . My goal is to enable you to enjoy a unique Africa hunting experience for big game and receive the same satisfaction that hundreds of our clients have received from their trips around the world. Explore our web site and discover the high quality Africa big game hunting packages we offer. We also do customized Africa hunts if you prefer. Our pricing is competitive with other booking agents including large firms seen in magazines or on TV.

Zimbabwe Hunting Safaris

10-Day Trophy Lion Safari
All inclusive of
Trophy fee, Baits included
1x1 $49,000.00
Included in safari package:
10 full days of hunting
Airport pick-up
Licenses
Trophy fee on lion
Taxes
Food, lodging and all beverages, wine and beer for duration of stay
Services of a Professional Hunter
Also vehicle, trackers, skinners, cook, daily laundry, field preparation of trophies.

Not Included in safari:
Dip and pack
Bait animals extra
4% government fee

Prices subject to change without notice and quoted in U.S. dollars!
If you have any questions, please email or call.
Jeff Martinell

http://www.luxuryhunts.com/

the dentist was on one of these packagers,,, what was his crime, other then being unlucky in choosing the people who set up the hunt.

The professional hunter Palmer hired and the man who owns the land where the animal was shot have been charged with poaching. A conservation group in Zimbabwe said the hunters illegally lured Cecil out of a park sanctuary.
http://wtvr.com/2015/07/29/did-american-dentist-who-killed-cecil-the-lion-do-anything-illegal/

The hunters lured him out of the sanctuary of the park with a dead animal on top of a vehicle, the conservation group said.

Palmer, officials said, then shot the lion with a crossbow, a method for which he is known. But Cecil survived another 40 hours until the hunters tracked him down and shot him with a gun.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/29/africa/zi ... on-killed/

Lion Aid explains that it is legal to bait lions in Zimbabwe, to shoot them with a bow and arrow from a blind, to kill them outside a national park in a private hunting area and to kill collared lions.

“But Cecil was shot in an area not assigned a lion quota. Supposedly the bait was set for a leopard and then Cecil came along. The professional hunter, Theo Bronkhorst told his client to shoot the lion, and then the hunt became illegal,” Lion Aid says. “The professional hunter then allegedly attempted to destroy the radiocollar to hide the evidence. Allegedly the client was “furious” when he found that the lion was radiocollared. Allegedly, when a professional hunter engages a client in an area without lion quota, the lion will be listed as hunted in an area that does have quota. This could have been standard practice, but unfortunately Cecil was a well-known lion.”

Bronkhorst and Ndlovu appeared in court on Wednesday, and authorities are trying to find another professional hunter, Zane Bronkhorst, who is also believed to have been involved in the hunt.
http://heavy.com/news/2015/07/walter-palmer-minnesota-dentist-hunter-killed-cecil-the-lion-dead-shot-zimbabwe-illegal-arrested-photos-video-cubs-theo-bronchorst-trymore-ndlovu/

seems there is more to this story

The professional hunter, Theo Bronkhorst told his client to shoot the lion, and then the hunt became illegal,” Lion Aid says. “The professional hunter then allegedly attempted to destroy the radiocollar to hide the evidence. Allegedly the client was “furious” when he found that the lion was radiocollared.

the client would be the dentist

apparently this has happened before

Allegedly, when a professional hunter engages a client in an area without lion quota, the lion will be listed as hunted in an area that does have quota.
This could have been standard practice, but unfortunately Cecil was a well-known lion.”

It says could have been, if the lion was not famous it probably would have been.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Lion attack: American tourist mauled to death at South African safari park - TomoNews

seems like the loins dont follow rules to well either.

lets see who wants to be the one to go find his bother Jericho,
and let him know the bad news about his brother cecil.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:17 pm

wiesiek wrote:kill the fuckin` bastard!
American Dentist, shit!
let obstruction be his ,for rest of his miserable life!
:-[
His head should be mounted on the main gate of the Park. -sumo-

and the others who hunt,
would you want to kill them too?

Limited Time
Zimbabwe Hunts

http://www.luxuryhunts.com/

how about those who fish

15 Great Sailfish Spots
Whether you want triple-digit trophies, double-digit-release days or both, here are 15 great sailfish spots in three oceans where you can make it happen

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/travel/i ... fish-spots

feel like killing them too?
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:35 pm

“From 2007 to 2012 Spain was the country that imported the most lion trophies from South Africa. During this period it imported 450 heads, compared to 100 in Germany. Europe needs to ban these lion hunting trophies altogether,” said Luis Muñoz, a Chelui4lions spokesman.

“What hunter, what sort of demented person, would want to kill a magnificent adult lion, known to and photographed by all the park’s visitors?” Muñoz said. “We’re ashamed of the fact that in Spain there are rich madmen who pay for the pleasure of killing wild animals such as lions.”

Bryan Orford, a professional wildlife guide who has worked in Hwange and filmed Cecil many times, told National Geographic that the lion was the park’s “biggest tourist attraction”. Orford calculates that with tourists from just one nearby lodge collectively paying €8,000 per day, Zimbabwe would have brought in more in just five days by having Cecil’s photograph taken rather than being shot by someone paying a one-off fee of €50,000.

The incident, which occurred earlier this month and has only just come to light, has caused outrage in Zimbabwe, coming only days after the ZCTF revealed that 23 elephant calves had been separated from their herds in Hwange and exported to zoos in China and the United Arab Emirates. The Zimbabwean government insists the trade is legal and measures are in place to guarantee the animals’ wellbeing.

“From 2007 to 2012 Spain was the country that imported the most lion trophies from South Africa. During this period it imported 450 heads, compared to 100 in Germany. Europe needs to ban these lion hunting trophies altogether,” said Luis Muñoz, a Chelui4lions spokesman.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... l-the-lion

this was before it was found to be the american hunter.

wow 450 spain, 100 for germany.
seems like business was good for awhile.

IMO the real reason this is an issue:

the lion was the park’s “biggest tourist attraction”. Orford calculates that with tourists from just one nearby lodge collectively paying €8,000 per day, Zimbabwe would have brought in more in just five days by having Cecil’s photograph taken rather than being shot by someone paying a one-off fee of €50,000.

If he wasnt famous none of this would be news, no lost revenue for the park...

Hunters are divided. Some have distanced themselves from Palmer, saying he broke the rules and ought to be punished. They fear guilt by association.

Advertisement

But Tichenor, a board member of California Houndsmen for Conservation, which represents thousands of hound hunters, defended the pariah in an interview with the Guardian on Wednesday, saying Palmer had a legitimate hunting permit but appeared to have been led astray by the guides.

“He looks more a victim than a conspirator. I can see how it would be possible to think you’re on a legitimate hunt and then get into this mess.” The likelihood of being caught for killing Cecil, who wore a GPS collar, suggested blunder, not intent, he said.

Tichenor, 67, a retired nuclear-weapons scientist with a PhD in electrical engineering, said Palmer had a long history of lawful hunting and it would have been out of character to knowingly, illegally shoot a lion.

Zimbabwean authorities said Cecil’s killers removed the radio collar. Some reports said they tried to disable it. Palmer has apologised and said he did not knowingly do anything wrong.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ry-hunters
windwalker
Wuji

Postby KEND on Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:29 pm

The whole macho 'hunting' phenomena has been around since the dawn of time. Its present form, perpetuated by Teddie Roosevelt[also a great conservationist], Hemingway etc came into its present form which consists of shooting a wild animal from a safe distance with a high powered rifle I frankly find disgusting, as I do the fox hunt and other pursuits. I am not a fan of PETA, , I eat meat occasionally, but I find the big game hunters to be a metaphor for mindless slaughter, by people who are well heeled and basically cowards.
I once had a student who was ex special forces and mercenary. His wife's partner, ironically a dentist was a 'big game hunter' forever boasting of his prowess. My friend got tired of his bs and suggested they parachuted into an African jungle and hunted each other [he was serious] the 'hunter turned white and never mentioned it again
KEND
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic