CNN News Alert!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

CNN News Alert!

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:00 pm

All white people must go to the cotton fields for orientation
neijia_boxer

Re: CNN News Alert!

Postby Bill on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:17 pm

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Huh?
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby C-Hopkins on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:22 pm

How bout we all put the cotton fields behind us, and lets everybody go out and get drunk.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby Methods on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:15 pm

Fucking stupid racist ass comment to say the least.........

You know, Im the exact opposite of black - white as paper, also, my Great Grandfather was a firm believer that the good guys lost the civil war and his father actually shared a southern field during the war, but non the less they picked cotton all the way from the south to California in order to survive.

Once again - STUPID ass fucking post.
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby C-Hopkins on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:06 pm

You know what Methods, and every other white person on the board who doesn't have a racist bone in their body-

I just really want to say thank you for having an open mind, and thank you for being accepting of people who are not like you.

For me, who's someone who has seen and been effected by alot of real racism in my life it's really special to me.

So Thank You.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby klonk on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:42 pm

One of these days, we are going to have to let go of the past. Why not today?

One might point out that in the worst carnage ever seen on these shores, white boys marched to their death singing,

As He died to make men holy
Let us die to make them free
His truth is marching on

Sure there have been some rough times, but big changes were happening even a generation ago. I recall an incident in which a fellow of a different shade was vehemently saying I was racist and bigoted and what-all.

I waved my finger in his face and rather raised my voice. "Man," I said "I don't have any problem with your race or your color or anything like that."

He looked like he was about to argue some more, so I raised my voice further and poked my finger in his chest. I said,

"I just don't like YOU!!"

Well, he looked at me a second, then burst out laughing, and we became good buddies after that, but I lost track of him, maybe he's dead.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:35 pm

If anyone STILL isn't sure what I am talking about on these political threads, maybe this will do for two bits a cow and hand lotion:

I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:06 am

I am christian and I like a good joke at Jesus expense, how is that different from appreciating a good joke that is based on race or culture? If everyone weren't so uptight and defensive things would be a lot funnier.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:20 am

I am white and my black friend sent me that joke- i laughed and passed it on- get over yourselves and your wanna-be political correctness.
neijia_boxer

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:42 am

I am christian and I like a good joke at Jesus expense

Well, tell Jesus jokes.

how is that different from appreciating a good joke that is based on race or culture?

It isn't about who appreciates it; it's about who doesn't. Some Christians don't appreciate jokes about Jesus.

If everyone weren't so uptight and defensive things would be a lot funnier.

I agree. People should be able to laugh about themselves. Actually, there are plenty of comedians who do exactly that. They make fun of themselves. What can be offensive is when people make fun of or at the expense of others.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:04 am

neijia_boxer wrote:I am white and my black friend sent me that joke- i laughed and passed it on- get over yourselves and your wanna-be political correctness.

Hey, that's the thing, er, things. 1) You're white and have a black friend who knows a joke (and that's a hard one to quantify) about whites. You laughed. 2) I'm "black", but I didn't laugh. Well, I knew it was a "joke", but I also knew that ... 3) Some white people would be offended.

The answer, imo, is not to condemn "political correctness." The answer is to understand why some people didn't laugh or were offended. There was actually an article by Les Payne the day before the election that gave suggestions on what supporters of each candidate should not do, if the other candidate should win. He said things, in a joking way, such as "don't buy more ammunition" and "don't expect crack to be legalized."

But, seriously, he also meant that the winner shouldn't throw it in the loser's face, especially when it came to issues like race, history, etc. People take those things very personally, especially in this country. The joke about "cotton picking" goes right back to Reconstruction and the fears generated by extremists of what would happen if blacks "took over." Yeah, the assumption that whites didn't pick cotton is a stereotype. But, the fears of domination are old and real. So, imo, jokes about that ... are I guess ways to express that fear, maybe even cathartic. Otoh, I think they're unnecessarily touchy.

Jmo. I wasn't offended. I just didn't think it ws funnny.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:08 am

The answer is to understand why some people didn't laugh or were offended.

I can agree with that and peoples sensitivity.
neijia_boxer

Postby C-Hopkins on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:10 am

Steve James wrote:
neijia_boxer wrote:I am white and my black friend sent me that joke- i laughed and passed it on- get over yourselves and your wanna-be political correctness.

The answer, imo, is not to condemn "political correctness." The answer is to understand why some people didn't laugh or were offended. .

Bang, spot on.

Most people won't try to understand other people because it will force them to confront their own shortcomings.

Few can handle confronting their own issues.

Easier to blame the victim.

Un PC/Racial jokes, while humorous, are based upon very real racial biggotry and hate. I do not agree that it's "All good" and everyone should just lighten up.

Those "jokes" are a way for racist people to say fucked up shit under the guise of "funny".

That said, it's best to find a way to not allow it to effect you.
Last edited by C-Hopkins on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby C-Hopkins on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:37 am

Actually though, I would say that your origional post didn't come across as "racist" I suppose(depending upon how you look at it) as much as it did self concious.

Without context, just viewing it as is it looks like fear of a Black man having power, and what that might mean for a race that has opressed African Americans.

I'd suggest putting something like that in context when posting it. :)
Last edited by C-Hopkins on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Next

Return to Off the Topic