3 vs. 5 meals a day

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

3 vs. 5 meals a day

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:21 am

I was talking with this guy at the Sport Club probably the toughest pound for pound guy- he has a mma and bjj background. Anyways the guy is ripped so i asked him what he does nutrition wise. I told him i just eat 3 meals a day and a protein shake after workout.

He said he doesnt take supplements or protein shakes but instead of eating three meals a day he break the 3 meals (same amount of calories) into 5 smaller meals and it helps your metabolism and absorption better. larger meals tends to store in your body. I am going to try this and see how it goes. he also takes the carbs before workout and more proteins after workout. the imporatant thing is working out to burn the calories of the food.
neijia_boxer

Re: 3 vs. 5 meals a day

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:31 am

I like eating more than three squares per day. I also exercise constantly so I'm always hungry.

Then again, maybe it's a tapeworm.

You might be interested in this: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... -exercise/
Ian

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:37 am

carbs = accessible energy and sugars to burn.
proteins = building block food

smaller meals more frequently keep the fire constantly burning. It is a better way and it has been shown that this is true for many years now.

Ian, it could be just your age. how old are you? If you are young it is understandable that it is easy to consume a lot without seeing many gains or changes in yoru body.

Once you hit your late 20's and early thirties you will see rapid change occurring. This is as good a time as any to find out what your body wants and how you should administer to it as the machine it is.

Take care of your machine and you can have it act high performance.

neglect it and you will see the effects of that.

It really is more simple than we make it out to be.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:45 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Ian, it could be just your age. how old are you? If you are young it is understandable that it is easy to consume a lot without seeing many gains or changes in yoru body.

23. a lot of it has to do with being self-employed as well. I have the opportunity to consecutively train and work throughout the day, which amounts to a lot more training than when I was working 9-5.

I'm definitely trying to learn from other people's mistakes and practice some good old-fashioned prevention in terms of health, though. thanks for the heads up.
Ian

Postby Bär on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:45 am

I have way more energy if I eat 5 smaller meals of about 400-500 calories each and cut down on carbs while replacing them with protein and a lot of greens.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:48 am

Bar, just so you know, those greens are primarily carbs.
Chris McKinley

Postby Bär on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:09 am

Yep. I suppose I should have said 'grains (even whole) and sugary foods including most fruit' instead of 'carbs.' And by a lot of greens I'm talking about 6-10 ounces a day...a bag of prewashed spinach, etc....

When I was very diligent about that I had too much energy.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Gary on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:34 am

Frequent small meals is the way to go.

I eat small amounts all day long. Every 2-3 hours usually. Try to stay away from highly processed foods(duh). Breakfast is usually 2 boiled eggs and a banana and apple. Sometimes a small yougurt. Then snack of apples, banana or oranges later. Small lunch. Good snack couple hours later, etc...

I'm 36 and knocked off 40 pounds this year using this method and have never felt better.
Gary
Santi

Postby Harvey on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:53 am

What you really need to think about is grazing. small and regular portions or carbs throughout the day reducing the amount of insulin your body pumps out in one go. This has two major effects on your metabolism, firstly it reduces the likelyhood of hypoglycemia the major factor in hunger and the craving for sugary foods (trust me i'm diabetic i should know). The knock on effect is that insulin is very important in the growth cycle of muscles as it helps pump the nutrients into them, a good thing.
My diet is split up into 6 meals a day with a percentage split of Breakfast 20%, Snack (elevens's) 10%, Lunch 20%, Snack 10%, Dinner 30% and a light supper of 10% and would take insulin shots with the main meals. Now i do eat junk food and drink beer but i'm 36 and my BMI has never gone over 24 so i think there maybe something in it somewhere.
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:51 am

Hobbits have second breakfasts. That's a prescident.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Harvey's a leprechaun not a hobbit. silly welshman.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Harvey on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:06 pm

Breakfast of champions
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:51 pm

It's disturbing Lucky now has webisodes. That guy is a creep.
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Yeah. He's like a paranoid meth addict.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:11 pm

8 ways to knock out fat- maria lopez of knockout fitness
Q: Should I eat a huge meal after working out to capitalize on my super-charged metabolism?

A: Don't consider your workout's calorie torching after-effects a license to splurge. Consume a protein-and-carb shake as soon as possible after training and a small, nutritious meal an hour after that. But the idea is to replenish your muscles, not gorge until you lose the metabolism-boosting benefits of your workout. Your metabolism can stay revved up for anywhere from one to eight hours, allowing you to burn an extra 50 to 200 calories.

Q: What's the simplest way to curb my appetite?

A: Chew sugarless gum. British researchers did an experiment in which some subjects chomped on sugarless gum for 15 minutes per hour, and some didn't. The gum smackers consumed 36 fewer calories, on average, when working their way through a snack table three hours later. Chew gum at the stove, too. You'll be less likely to taste-test along the way.

Q: I see "fat burners" in every convenience store. What are they, and can they help me lose weight?

A: Regardless of the marketing angle, most fat burners are slightly different variations on a formulation designed to rev your nervous system for short periods of time. That's not a particularly bad thing, per se, but it isn't for everyone, and the ingredients aren't always combined wisely or even safely. Most important, fat burning pills burn trivial amounts of fat compared with working out and eating right. Save your money.

Q: Besides water, are there other beverages I should drink every day?

A: That one's easy. The closest thing we have to a fountain of youth is a steaming-hot cup of green tea (but keep in mind, green tea does contain caffeine). In a recent study, University of Minnesota scientists found that drinking just one cup a day slices your colon cancer risk in half. Better yet, drink two, three, or even five cups a day. According to Journal of the American Medical Association, five cups are good for a 22-percent reduction in heart disease risk.

Q: I want lose 10 pounds for my high school reunion. How can I juggle my carb intake to maximize fat loss—stat?

A: Consume starchy carbs early in the day and water-rich carbs later. Your insulin sensitivity is greatest in the morning and falls off during the evening. So something like white rice will do more damage at dinner than it will at lunch. That's why you should eat those carbs that are absorbed more slowly by the body, like broccoli, later in the day.

Q: I know what carbs I should avoid now: white bread, soda, sugary cereals, white rice, and so on. Name some healthy carb foods.

A: Sweet potatoes are my personal favorite, but the list is actually quite long: brown rice, oatmeal, and whole grains such as millet, quinoa, and wild rice all earn my seal of approval. And as a general rule, fruit provides good morning carbs, and vegetables provide good afternoon and evening carbs.

Q: I enjoy drinking a glass of wine or two in the evening, especially after a hard day. Do I have to give up my vino?

A: As long as you don't abuse it, keep drinking wine, red especially. It contains few carbohydrates, so it's perfect for evening consumption. It's also loaded with plant chemicals that scientists claim are responsible for all sorts of health benefits, from reducing the risk of heart disease and obesity to lowering the chances you'll be diagnosed with cancer.

Q: I've heard for years that eggs are okay for me, but only if I remove the yolks, because they contain cholesterol. Is this true?

A: Eggs are a nearly perfect food, yolk included. In fact, a recent study from the University of Connecticut found that adding extra yolk to a diet didn’t raise bad cholesterol. In another study, subjects having eggs for breakfast ate less food throughout the day than those given a higher-carbohydrate breakfast.
neijia_boxer

Next

Return to Off the Topic