Shooting of the Week

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Shooting of the Week

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Hmm, how many is that this year? 30, 40?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:04 am

The shooter was targeting Christians.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Finny on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Steve James wrote:Hmm, how many is that this year? 30, 40?

296th mass shooting in the states this year.

seriously.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:36 pm

The irony is that the Sheriff leading the investigation is a "Sandy Hook truther."

Politics aside it would be interesting to figure out why this happening so often. I can understand anger and two parties having a dispute but shooting up total strangers I just can't wrap my head around.

Then there's the whole internet threat on top of that.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby warriorprincess on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:55 am

994 mass shootings in 1004 days!

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-i ... n-violence

Is it not time to at least pause the sale of guns/ammo and have a space where a conversation can happen?
warriorprincess
Anjing

Postby grzegorz on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:06 am

Basically one side says the solution is less guns and the other says that the solution is more guns.

After Sandy Hook the conservatives used to say we need a to have a mental health discussion and now it seems more and more they're just saying, "Stuff happens."

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-says-americ ... 33067.html
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:26 pm

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:00 pm

I wonder if its historically been this way or is it something that gets reported more.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... -full-data

seems its always been around.

The Study uses 4 as a starting point.
there is a mass shooting – defined as four or more people shot in one incident – nearly every day

should be no shock to anyone living in areas of cities noted for gang activities.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:52 pm

windwalker wrote:I wonder if its historically been this way or is it something that gets reported more.

there is a mass shooting – defined as four or more people shot in one incident – nearly every day

should be no shock to anyone living in areas of cities noted for gang activities.

It isn't this way in any other developed nations. But, I am sure it will always be around if we keep doing....nothing.

AU had a mass shooting and then changed the laws. Guess how many they have had since?

Of course, from someone who thinks there is no such thing as police brutality, I guess I shouldn't expect any sort of brilliant observational powers. Sigh, so many who are happy to just let things keep going on as they are. The very definition of conservative, and, certainly part of the problem.

BTW, your response is exactly the same as Jebs: "Stuff happens..." ::)
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Of course, from someone who thinks there is no such thing as police brutality

try sticking with things you think, and talking for your self it might work out better.
shit does happen, it happens every day of the week guess you missed the point.

Tracking homicides in Chicago
216 killed in first half of 2015

http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:46 pm

the doctor is in

he talks about AU, might want to listen...
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Hey, there is no problem. This guy and guys like him have views straight out of FOX news. Post his opinions if you disagree. Good thing most of them kill people in their own schools. Oh, picking a city with gang wars to compare is useless. I mean street thugs killing each other isn't the same as suburban, middle class kids killing his school mates. Oh well, I suppose it is normal ... and not a product of mental illness. These kids are, in fact, normal. They hold opinions heard on FOX news regularly .
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:41 pm

What a clown - all I heard were the same old arguments, interspersed with abuse and vitriol "you freakin idiots, you"

I don't know where he's getting his statistics, but Australia has not suffered significant mass shootings since the gun laws were introduced in 1996 following the Port Arthur massacre.. and guns are NOT common in suburban Aus

As someone who's lived in Aus for a fair while before the gun laws were introduced - my grandfather fought in WWII and was later a long range rifle champion, my uncle owns a farm and several firearms - I can tell you that folks living in suburban Aus DON'T have guns, and DON'T worry about gun crime. Criminals are not at all hesitant for fear that 'rat-atat-tat' someone will shoot them (other than cops)

The two-pronged argument:

If they take your guns the criminals will have a free-for-all, and

They just want to take your guns to make you vulnerable to the whims of the government, you freakin idiot you!

FALLS APART when you examine the reality - EVERY other developed country that has strict gun laws does NOT suffer as many mass shootings or firearm deaths as the US - it's not even close to comparable, it is so clear it would take a 'freakin idiot' to ignore it

And the constitution that he places such stock in - PROHIBITS the deployment of US military force on US soil.. The government CAN'T 'come for you' once you're disarmed.. and further - WHY would they want to? What creates this festering paranoia that without guns, you'll be promptly thrown in cattle cars and have horrible, unimaginable things done to you.. that you somehow could've prevented with your trusty 1911 .45?? After decades and decades of historical precedent demonstrating that other liberal democracies have NOT suffered that fate, following the introduction of firearm restrictions, it is blatantly obvious that these two arguments are simply camouflage for the truth - 'We likes our guns, we don't wants you to take 'em'

The rest of the world is unfortunately rapidly losing sympathy for the loss of innocent american lives at the hands of mentally unhinged civilians with easy access to firearms - the lesson should have been learned in 1966 and following every mass shooting since, but the american infatuation with firearms has resulted in thousands upon thousands of innocent people killed.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:51 pm

windwalker wrote:I wonder if its historically been this way or is it something that gets reported more.

there is a mass shooting is defined as four or more people shot in one incident – nearly every day

Thanks for the list. I'm a news and information junkee so I pretty much recognize and remember all those shootings. I can remember as far back as the Stockton schoolyard shootings and my opinions still haven't changed, I even remember multiple victims being shot up at a local McDonald's which also included children back in the early eighties. I am not sure if it's increased or not in comparison to then but I don't think it matters or makes this weeks tragedy any less significant.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks "G"

I really dont understand what one would do for the mass shootings, if not guns they would probably use something else.
I do find it odd talking about this since I dont like guns, never have, but know how to use and respect them.

The ones arguing about no mass shootings for places that control guns is expected "hard to have shootings with out guns a given", other forms of violence take the place. If not a gun then a knife or something else.

I should also make clear that violent crime rates are dependent on victims willingness to report crime, and to the authorities willingness to admit crimes. Obviously, England’s heavily edited crime stats compare favorably with Oz’ – but when you dig a while the truth becomes obvious.

With that said, the official standings stack up like this; with all numbers being per 100,000 population so they can be directly compared:

1.) Australia, 30,100

2.) New Zealand, 29,400

3.) United Kingdom, 26,400

4.) Netherlands, 25,200

5.) Sweden, 24,700

6.) Italy, 24,600

7.) Canada, 23,800

8.) St. Kitts and Nevis, 23,200

9.) Malta, 23,100

10.) Denmark, 23,000

United States? The FBI reports 1,246,248 violent crimes reported to the police, while the National Crime Survey pegs that number at 3,525 per 100,000 for almost 11,000,000 “violent crimes.” Which, given American prosecutors tendency to throw every charge in the book from Aardvark to Zyzygy at a perp seems reasonable.

http://extranosalley.com/?p=31490

Israel and Switzerland, where most adult males keep military-type guns at home, have low homicide rates, so easy access to guns cannot be the key factor in homicide. Some nations with strict anti-gun laws also have low homicide rates, but is this cause and effect? The low homicide rate in the United Kingdom holds for both gun and non-gun homicides; strict gun laws cannot account for a low rate of fatal beatings. Japan has harsh anti-gun and anti-crime laws and a low homicide rate, but Japanese-Americans, who live under our laws and have access to guns, also have a low homicide rate.

http://www.jpands.org/hacienda/stolinsky.html

With gun restrictions making it harder to obtain private weapons in the UK, violent crimes involving guns have greatly decreased. The number of total violent crimes, however, is almost double that of the US. Of those crimes, only 19% even involve a weapon, and only 5% of those involve a firearm. That means that of you’re roughly 1/100 chance of being involved in a violent crime in Britain and Wales in any given year, you have roughly a 1/10,000 chance of being in a violent crime involving a gun.

In the US your chances of being involved in a violent crime are less than 1/250.
Alternately, in the US your chances of being involved in a violent crime are less than 1/250. Of those involved with violent crimes, however, you have greater than a 1/10,000 chance of being involved in a violent crime involving a gun. In a country with less than half the violent crime, you have a greater chance of being the victim of a violent crime involving a gun.

Here’s where gun control advocates would say that the proliferation of easily available and private firearms enable gun crimes. This is also where gun rights advocates would point to the much lower violent crime rate in a similarly governed and wealthy nation. In a way, they’re both right. Much as the US is both in line with other developed nations on violent crime, and an outlier–with several cities more dangerous than anywhere in Europe or Asia–violent crime in America is as sprawling as the opportunities to commit crime.

http://www.criminaljusticedegreehub.com ... us-abroad/

just some sites showing a different narrative
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic