Shooting of the Week

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Shooting of the Week

Postby Steve James on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:26 pm

-bow- -bow- -bow- -bow- Not a shooting; just an inspiration.
Baton Rouge police are thanking a woman for having an officer’s back — literally — when a traffic stop suddenly became dangerous Sunday morning.

Vickie Williams-Tillman was on her way to run some errands when she noticed a police officer on the side of a road engaged in a heated conversation with a man outside of his car.

Police said that as Officer Billy Amie tried to secure the man in handcuffs, the driver became aggressive.

Williams-Tillman, 56, began to brake and rolled down her car window to ask the officer if he needed help. Before he could answer, she saw the suspect leap toward the officer.

Without hesitating, the woman dialed 911. But when police say the suspect took the officer’s baton and began to repeatedly hit the officer in the head with it, Williams-Tillman couldn’t just sit back and wait.

Instead, she jumped out of her vehicle and onto the suspect’s back.

“Risking her own safety she jumped out of her vehicle and onto the back of the 28-year old assailant,” the Baton Rouge Police Department said in a statement. “Ms. Williams-Tillman was able to help hold off the assailant until other officers arrived.”

A #GoodSamaritan is credited with stepping in and rescuing a Baton Rouge Police Department officer who was being attacked by a suspect during a traffic stop. #BatonRouge FULL STORY>>> http://bit.ly/2lA1q6Z

Posted by WAFB Channel 9 on Monday, February 20, 2017
Baton Rouge Police Chief Carl Dabadie said he was relieved when he heard both the officer and Williams-Tillman were safe.

“I can’t think of probably very many people on one hand that would not have just rode by, or maybe made a phone call to 911,” Dabadie said during a news conference Monday, CBS affiliate WAFB reported. “But Ms. Tillman went above and beyond.”

Williams-Tillman said she wasn’t concerned about her safety at the time, she was solely focused on helping the officer.

“I’m just glad that he’s here,” an emotional Williams-Tillman said during the news conference. “I’m just so happy, lost of words. I’m just so glad of the turnout. I know God led me in that direction when I left my home.”

“This is a true hero,” Amie said, pointing at Williams-Tillman as he wrapped his arms around her.

Amie was treated at a local hospital and released Sunday.

The suspect has been identified as 28-year-old Thomas Bennett, of Albany, Louisiana. According to The Advocate, Bennett was detained after the second officer to arrive at the scene hit him with a stun gun, and was booked into Parish Prison on counts of aggravated battery, disarming a police officer, battery on a police officer, resisting an officer with violence, possession of cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The Baton Rouge Police Department also thanked Williams-Tillman for her heroic act in a Facebook post Sunday. The post was shared by more than 1,100 people and received hundreds of comments, commending the woman for her bravery.

“Thank you Vickie for looking out for the officer,” one Facebook user wrote. “You are a true hero!”

“This is what courage looks like--stepping outside of minding your own business and stepping in,” another added. “Ms. Williams-Tillman could have just rolled on by, but she stepped up and stepped out of her comfort zone. Thank you for your selflessness!”

The department couldn’t agree more.

“I can’t tell you...how much courage and how much bravery that took for you to get out of your car,” Dabadie told Williams-Tillman. “We are indebted to you...And we’re going to see if we can recruit her.”

A UPS driver steps off his truck to deliver packages in Evanston, Illinois, March 5, 2014.UPS tests drone deliveries, eyes future price hikes

-bow- -bow- -bow-
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:13 pm

When Is saw this thread had a new entry, I was like not again. Relieve to see this.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:18 pm

I started a thread titled Inspirations, but couldn't find it. So, I put it here. Glad to disappoint.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:28 am

Kansas Man Charged in Shooting of Two Indians in Possible Hate Crime | Top News | US News

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/ar ... hate-crime
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby JoeWood on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:59 am

grzegorz wrote:
Kansas Man Charged in Shooting of Two Indians in Possible Hate Crime | Top News | US News

This one is in my neck of the woods. Got a text from my best friend on the night it happened saying that police knocked on his door & were searching his neighborhood for the perp.
JoeWood
Anjing

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 pm

JoeWood wrote:
grzegorz wrote:

This one is in my neck of the woods. Got a text from my best friend on the night it happened saying that police knocked on his door & were searching his neighborhood for the perp.

Good to hear the police were on top of it.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby warriorprincess on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:18 pm

warriorprincess
Anjing

Postby KEND on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Did you miss the shooting in New York where a doctor fired from a hospital went back, killed a doctor and critically wounded several staff. Violence comes in all shapes and sizes
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:26 pm

KEND wrote:Did you miss the shooting in New York where a doctor fired from a hospital went back, killed a doctor and critically wounded several staff. Violence comes in all shapes and sizes

Happened 10 blocks way from me. But, he was just a disgruntled worker. Been happening at post offices for ages, and can happen anywhere, anytime.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Steve James wrote:I started a thread titled Inspirations, but couldn't find it. So, I put it here. Glad to disappoint.

You should have just started a new one anyway. It would be shorter than this one probably, but totally worth it.

@Michael, -- I hear ya man.
Hate the very idea of this thread, personally. Like there isn't enough of this sort of thing in the news as it it's. Oh well... Life. "Tastes differ", etc.
Last edited by Dmitri on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Dmitri wrote:
Steve James wrote:I started a thread titled Inspirations, but couldn't find it. So, I put it here. Glad to disappoint.

You should have just started a new one anyway. It would be shorter than this one probably, but totally worth it.

@Michael, -- I hear ya man.
Hate the very idea of this thread, personally. Like there isn't enough of this sort of thing in the news as it it's. Oh well... Life. "Tastes differ", etc.

The thread illustrates a very American problem.

At the UPS facility in SF we just had a shooting and 4 are dead. Although I did not know these people some of my co-workers did and for all the grieving life goes on and repeats.

Yes it is on the news and it will be on the news again and again and again.

No it isn't for everybody and I am not so sure it is all about politics either. It seems the first in modern history was in Austin, Texas then decades went by and nothing but now they are literally every single day.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am

Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:38 am

Paddock used to be a mailman. I wonder if he just went postal after all these years, i.e., delayed postal syndrome.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic