Shooting of the Week

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Shooting of the Week

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:12 am

Ron Panunto wrote:Paddock used to be a mailman. I wonder if he just went postal after all these years, i.e., delayed postal syndrome.

Didn't realize, I thought he was an accountant/gambler.

I am convinced he wanted fame but perhaps we will never know.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:11 pm

That didn't take long.

Serious question, why does the news always search for the motive as if by finding a motive e everything will suddenly make sense?
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 am

There have recently been a couple of mass church shootings in Tennessee as well.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:59 am

Just another shooting in America. And though there'll be arguments about motives or mental health, the fact is that shootings like this only happen in war zones and the U.S.. The prez says it's a mental health, not a guns issue. Well, what exactly are our health priorities? We seem to have a lot of people who need help. But, it seems that this Texas shooter was 100% sane, and was angry and took it out on the church. He had been discharged from the air force for assault and accused of domestic violence against his wife.

The violent mentally ill people I've recalled making news were shot by police. Some were running toward the police, some were running away, some were just ignoring the police. None were wearing tactical gear. Some were wielding knives or hatchets. None of which happens as often in other countries.

So, I really doubt anything can be done about these mass random shootings. We can just wait for the next.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:19 am

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prev ... 163660/amp

When satire makes more sense than reality.. -argh-
“Make everything in you an ear, each atom of your being, and you will hear at every moment what the Source is whispering to you, just to you and for you, without any need for my words or anyone else’s.”— Rumi
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:03 am

grzegorz wrote:That didn't take long.

Serious question, why does the news always search for the motive as if by finding a motive e everything will suddenly make sense?

Psychological need for an explanation, particularly when the perpetrator is familiar. When the location is ordinary and typically safe, there's an even stronger need for explanation. "How could someone do something like that here, or to them"?Explanations make people feel safer because they make life understandable. It doesn't matter whether the explanation is true.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 am

No, not about the last mass shooting. Rather, a more serious problem and reason for gun "control."

A man accidentally shot himself and his wife at an East Tennessee church on Thursday while he was showing off his gun during a discussion on recent church shootings, police said.

Elder members of First United Methodist Church in Tellico Plains were cleaning up about 1 p.m. after enjoying a luncheon held to celebrate Thanksgiving. They began talking about guns in churches, according to Tellico Plains Police Chief Russ Parks.

A man in his 80s pulled out a .380 caliber Ruger handgun and said, "I carry my handgun everywhere," according to Parks.

He removed the magazine, cleared the chamber, and showed the gun to some of the men in the church. He put the magazine back in, apparently loaded a round in the chamber, and returned the gun to its holster, Parks said.

"Somebody else walked up and said, 'Can I see it?' " Parks said. "He pulled it back out and said, 'With this loaded indicator, I can tell that it’s not loaded.' "

He pulled the trigger.

"Evidently he just forgot that he re-chambered the weapon," Parks said.

The gun was lying on its side on a table. The bullet sliced the palm of the man's upward-facing hand, then entered the left side of his wife's abdomen and exited the right side, Parks said.

Both the husband and wife, who is also in her 80s, were flown to the University of Tennessee Medical Center with injuries that police said didn't appear to be life-threatening. Their names had not been released as of Thursday evening.

Charges will not be filed, Parks said.

Reporter Travis Dorman can be reached at 865-342-6315 or at [email protected]. F

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crim ... 872374001/
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:07 pm

17 kids shot and killed in Florida today.

http://abc13.com/what-we-know-about-flo ... t/3084859/
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby KEND on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Deja Vu all over again. The following is predictable: He was on medication/he had easy access to guns/ the people he knew were very aware of his activities and a look at his facebook page would have alerted the authorities. The only difference here is that he intended to escape rather than shooting himself or going down in a shootout
As I have said previously there will be an outcry for gun control etc for a couple of weeks, it will die down until the next shooting in a month or two . NOTHING WILL CHANGE
18 shootings already this year 45 days into the year
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 pm

18 school shootings already this year
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:03 am

Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:49 am

This doesn't happen as regularly in shit hole countries. It seems that mental illness is widespread in the US. Getting rid of guns just isn't practical anymore. It's more likely that gun restrictions will loosen because guns are the American solution. That's the sickness.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 am

KEND wrote:Deja Vu all over again. The following is predictable: He was on medication/he had easy access to guns/ the people he knew were very aware of his activities and a look at his facebook page would have alerted the authorities. The only difference here is that he intended to escape rather than shooting himself or going down in a shootout
As I have said previously there will be an outcry for gun control etc for a couple of weeks, it will die down until the next shooting in a month or two . NOTHING WILL CHANGE
18 shootings already this year 45 days into the year

Agreed. We are a mediocre country only capable of mediocrity.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 am

The NRA owns Congress. Congress should be held accountable for its inaction. Put the Congressman in jail for the slaughter of our children and then see if it doesn't change things.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:29 pm

If true, was this a terrorist attack? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-sc ... f-florida/
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic