The Ice Man

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Ice Man

Postby middleway on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:42 am

Just listened to the latest Tim Ferriss show on Wim Hoff also known as the iceman. Some super interesting stuff going on with this guys method I think.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/09/07/the-iceman-wim-hof/

Here is a Vice Documentary on him.

Hope you enjoy.

Thanks
Chris.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Re: The Ice Man

Postby GrahamB on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:03 am

What the hell!?!??! ???
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:47 am

that was my thought! ... running through the namibian desert with no water, consciously controlling his autonomic nervous system etc ... frikking nutty stuff! :O
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:53 am

...is it internal?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Not really internal.

If you read Wim's book, he is just using the stress adaptation cycle to a very refined degree.

Extreme cold adaptation, i.e. placing yourself in cold water for progressively longer periods of time, also aids extreme heat resistance apparently. I had seen something similar working with SEALs a few years back. They spend a lot of time in very cold water at BUDS, although not as cold as what Wim uses.

Several studies have also shown extreme cold exposure to reduce systemic inflammation and a variety of other conditions.
Last edited by Peacedog on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:54 am

i used to use a similar hyperventilation method before getting into cold showers in the winter, didnt really think about it just kind of did it til i got warm and then jumped in. -shrug-
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby gasmaster on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:10 pm

/Hippy rant begin/ I really liked that. The releases I've experienced (both giving and recieving) in massage and cranial work(and yoga) are the exact same as the ones these people are having, which leads me to believe that there are many ways to access your body and heal. All it takes is relaxation, and (most importantly) a willingness to let go. /Hippy rant end/
gasmaster
Great Old One

Postby chud on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Peacedog wrote:s.

Several studies have also shown extreme cold exposure to reduce systemic inflammation and a variety of other conditions.

Yes, hospitals will sometimes cool down a heart attack victim to minimize damage.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Dog:

SNIP
If you read Wim's book, he is just using the stress adaptation cycle to a very refined degree.
SNIP

"Just?"

Please do let us know if you ever see anything impressive...
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Sounds kind of like a reverse version of that Tibetan Tumo thing.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:08 am

Andy_S wrote:Dog:

SNIP
SNIP

"Just?"

Please do let us know if you ever see anything impressive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNfGyIW7aHM
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:04 am

Squatting 500 pounds is impressive as well. However, the training modality required to do this is well understood and not hard to execute.

Wim's whole point is that anyone can do this stuff with just a little training and a fair amount of effort.

If you read his book, you'll realize this.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:38 am

Wim's whole point is that anyone can do this stuff with just a little training and a fair amount of effort.

The problem for the majority of people is the bit i highlighted. This is why 'Just' comments mis the mark IMO. Understanding how something works, knowing how to achieve it and having the right instruction does nothing for someones willpower to actually do it in most cases. Fill a bath full of ice and tell someone how good it would be for them to sit in it ... I am guessing the takers will be minimal. That has nothing to do with understanding what he does, It has everything to do with the persons willpower or desire to do it.

Hard things are rarely hard because they are misunderstood, they are hard because of the mental demand.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:51 am

Took a trip to the local unheated swimming pool this morning, water temp was about 18C/65F, did a few laps. after swimming I had a conversation with one of the gents who swims there through the winter without a wetsuit, he said basically it's just a combination of getting accustomed to the temp and not slacking off the training. There were probably 15 people swimming while I was there...
Last edited by vadaga on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby TrainingDummy on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:48 pm

middleway wrote:The problem for the majority of people is the bit i highlighted. This is why 'Just' comments mis the mark IMO. Understanding how something works, knowing how to achieve it and having the right instruction does nothing for someones willpower to actually do it in most cases. Fill a bath full of ice and tell someone how good it would be for them to sit in it ... I am guessing the takers will be minimal. That has nothing to do with understanding what he does, It has everything to do with the persons willpower or desire to do it.

Hard things are rarely hard because they are misunderstood, they are hard because of the mental demand.

Full doco of someone going through the Wim Hof Method with the Iceman and running up the side of a snowy mountain in shorts after a week. I thought it was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMjhwFE1Zw
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic