Breakfast

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Breakfast

Postby Bill on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:19 am

I start work at 6:30 and it has been very easy to just stop off at a fast food joint on the way in and pick up something wonderfully fatty and salty to eat for breakfast. So, for some time now, 4 times a week I have been eating a sausage breakfast burritos or egg and cheese biscuits to start off the day. along with a large coffee, of course.

My waist has expanded accordingly. :-\

I woke up 15 minutes earlier and started with this morning with some Cheerios and 1% milk. This will now be my daily breakfast during the week.

Fortunately I quite enjoy cheerios and I do not mind the taste of the 1%. One and a half bowls filled me up and I am ready to face the day.

1 cup of cheerios has...
104 calories
1.9g total fat
161g sodium
0 cholesterol

I'm looking forward to some bit of weight loss over the next month.

What do you guys/gals do for breakfast? Any suggestions for me?

Please don't say oatmeal, I cannot eat that stuff. :-X
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Breakfast

Postby Finny on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:37 am

I have the same breakfast every day - I call it cement shake..

1 or 2 bananas
1, 1.5 cups of oats
topped up in a blender with milk
40~50g whey protein

I don't like oatmeal either, but in a banana shake it's not bad, gives me plenty of complex carbs, heaps if fibre and a bunch of protein.. good start to the day
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 am

Buckwheat pancakes (an egg and a cup of milk in it), nutella, black coffee, fruit.

Practicing a sport daily seems to help. It's rare to see a fat rock climber, swimmer, boxer. If you have energy, choose the sport over the workout nine times out of ten.

Don't spend time sitting all day. Get enough sleep. Etc.

Caveat, I've never been overweight, sorry!
Last edited by Ian on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby middleway on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:18 am

30Gs of protien within 30 minutes of waking up changed my life.

i go for an Omelette. 2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites cooked in a pan with some garlic olive oil and butter with some sliced up spinach in there, Washed down with a decent sized coffee and some juiced veggies that we make en mass to last 3 days.

Takes around 5 minutes to make and about 5 to consume. Literally don't want to eat till about 2pm after all that protein (even though I still do at the moment). The thing with Cheerios or 'grainy' breakfasts for me is that they are hugely satisfying at the time, but I am starving by the time i get to 11. If i am in a mega rush i will have something similar to Finny, minus the Oats and Plus some fresh berries.

Seriously though ... get some protein in that breakfast .. makes all the difference! :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:14 am

+1 for the first meal to include protein.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:12 pm

I don't eat breakfast and never have. I'm 71 now and in perfect health. I was killing some time at an airport last week and read a health magazine on how to cut back on weight and keep it off. They recommended skipping breakfast altogether saying that early in the morning your metabolism is working too slowly to burn the calories so it stores them as fat. They said that making lunch your first meal is better since your metabolism should be roaring and will burn all calories eaten. Personally, if I try eating something for breakfast (because sometimes I do wake up hungry) then I will have an upset stomach all day.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:36 pm

Used to have no breakfast, but when I started running (over a year ago, now it's 5.3 miles every morning), the body was asking for more energy earlier...
When I do have it, it's usually a carrot and possibly some other veggie/fruit, whatever we have in the fridge at any given day (sweet peppers, cukes, bananas, etc.)
1-2 hours later it's oats (sorry Bill), plain in hot water, and raw mixed nuts (Target has this awesome jar -- highly recommended!)

One thing for sure though, IME -- definitely the very first thing (at least 10-15 minutes before you consume anything else) in the morning should be a glass or two of water.

FWIW

P.S. Move! Even the bestest diet in the world alone just ain't enough. Go run or walk fast or some-such for at least 30 minutes, if you're not otherwise exercising.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:39 pm

I make steamed eggs with either scallions and hot peppers or sliced banana (sometimes all three). 3 egg whites and one whole egg. It adds up to less than 150 calories, very little sodium, about 24 grams of protein. I drink tea (green, wulong, or pu-erh ) throughout the day. Salad for lunch (mesclun w/ tomatoes, sliced sweet peppers, some steamed chicken or fish). Dinner is steamed or stir fried veggies with some form of meat.

Followed by a half a gallon of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. (just kidding).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Just curious for those of you whose consumption of egg whites exceeds your whole egg consumption (Dr. Fish, middleway, etc.).

What do you do with the leftover egg yolks?

Also, for you tea drinkers - do you drink it hot, tepid, or cold?

And yes, I am getting fat, too, now...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:17 pm

It depends - if I know I will be making a dish that calls for egg yolk, I will reserve it and refrigerate it for a day or two. Otherwise, I discard it. As for tea, generally hot - but it should not make a difference as far as weight loss or other effects. I also drink cold English black tea with milk and tapioca bubbles during the hot weather (but no sugar).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:28 pm

2 questions

How do you steam an egg?

Do you mix the banana into cooking egg or is it off to the side?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:55 am

It depends - if I know I will be making a dish that calls for egg yolk, I will reserve it and refrigerate it for a day or two. Otherwise, I discard it.

+1

I have no problem discarding Egg yolks, the eggs I get are from a friend, who's chickens roam around his back yard eating a natural healthy diet, completely free range. They often have so many eggs that they have to throw some away, so the odd wasted yolk is no biggy.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:44 am

- training /everyday/
- teaspoon of bentonite in 1/2 glass of water / not everyday/
- 1 litre of apple/bet juice /everyday /
- 5 eggs yolks /not everyday/
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby KEND on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:23 am

Breakfast: 1/2 cup organic oats[keep down cholesterol], 1 banana sliced. 1/2 cup blueberries[good for eyes], 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk, 1/4 cup pom juice, sometimes strawberries [all organic], mug of coffee or tea with stevia and almond milk
Believe in a good breakfast
Another meal between 2 and 4, varies, sometimes eggs, boiled veggies, occasionally chicken or fish[once a week], curry[keeps away alzheimers], organic wheat bread sandwich with avocado, ginger, garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes
Evening: fruit; apple, pear, nectarine, orange, grapefruit
KEND
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:07 am

middleway wrote:
It depends - if I know I will be making a dish that calls for egg yolk, I will reserve it and refrigerate it for a day or two. Otherwise, I discard it.

+1

I have no problem discarding Egg yolks, the eggs I get are from a friend, who's chickens roam around his back yard eating a natural healthy diet, completely free range. They often have so many eggs that they have to throw some away, so the odd wasted yolk is no biggy.

Grass/ greens are converted by the chicken into vitamin k2 which gives the yolk a bright yellow orange color. Vitamin K2/ Activator-X is great for arterial lining and other vital soft tissues in our body. Without Vitamin K2 in our body then plaque is used instead.

Also note that you may be getting a disproportionate amount of Methionine when only eating egg whites. Methionine is an essential amino acid, meaning it has to come from our diet, but methionine without other vitamins can create an excess of sulphur.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic