Ketosis

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Ketosis

Postby middleway on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:24 am

Anyone been there? How'd you find it? What were the positives and negative?

thanks all
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Re: Ketosis

Postby Bao on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:16 am

Anyone been there? I remember it as a beautiful Island, but too much tourist like everywhere else in Greece.
;D ..... -lol-
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Fa Xing on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:37 pm

You mean been in ketosis? One big positive is that you lose weight like a freakin mad man, but the negative is that you can't stay in it for long. It's also difficult to do high intensity exercise while in ketosis. A definite huge positive that needs more research is it's benefits in treating TBI and other CNS related neurological diseases.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby yeniseri on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Ketosis isn't necessarily a negative but a prolonged state can be dangerous. It has been seen that in some disease states, ketosis can reverse some neurologic conditions as part of a 'fat burning" process
See info about ketogenic diet! All of such must be under the maintenance of a qualified health practitioner.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:27 pm

I liked their first two albums but not a fan of the new stuff.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:48 pm

As has been mentioned it is great for losing excess bodyfat, but high intensity exercise is largely limited for the first 6-8 weeks until your body adapts to a fat based diet.

Tim Ferris did a podcast awhile back that featured a doctor who was into endurance events who ate this way long term.

Two things should be kept in mind. First, you need to limit your protein intake and make sure that fats make up about 2/3 of your caloric intake or the extra protein pushes you out of ketosis. This is the primary mistake most people make.

Two, due to the limits on protein intake building muscle while on this diet is rather difficult. It seems to work okay for endurance athletes, but iron sports don't take to it well other than as a a way to cut body fat.

Also, you need to keep very rigid control of carbohydrate consumption. On a practical basis, the ingestion of virtually ANY simple carbs will throw you out of this.

As an example, after the first two days of losing water weight, I can sustain a weight loss of about .6 pounds per day for the first six weeks by going on a diet like this. During this time, my strength in the primary lifts (squat, deadlift and overhead press) will decrease between 15-25%. The overhead press seems to suffer the most.

That said, I can go from 215 lbs to about 186 lbs in six weeks time and sport a six pack. I never seem to add much muscle during this time period though and until I have done it for about 4 weeks I am pretty tired. After that energy levels pick up across the board, except for explosive exercises. For reference, I am in my mid-fourties. A younger man will probably respond better. I am a lifelong non-steroid user as well. Taking anabolics will most definitely help with this as well.
Last edited by Peacedog on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry my post was a bit vague. Haha yeh I meant who has been in ketosis via a kerogenic diet and how did they find it?

Although I am not doing it, I don't really have a need right now. My other half is trying it.

Have heard a few different podcasts on the subject but wondering if any of you chaps had tried it. Seems you have and have had the desired results she is looking for (fat loss).

Cheers all :)
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:28 pm

The Atkin's diet (and several other similar diets) aim for a state of ketosis. There are certainly drawbacks, although the brain seems to prefer ketone bodies as fuel.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic