Cry me a river RNC.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Cry me a river RNC.

Postby Steve James on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:39 am

Um, the article says "a number of people" and "allegedly.". It doesn't say "thousands" or that they were Muslims. It doesn't specify who reported them, and it doesn't state the result. It does say that some people were accused of celebrating.

Anyway, I was here where it happened. Nobody I know saw what Trump claims, interestingly, on 911, I went down to Bklyn to see about a friend. We went on the roof with several friends and watched while the.ashes were falling. It wasn't a tailgate party, but if we'd been Muslims.... And, my point was that the reason Trump made up his story was the worse thing about it.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:49 am

The statement is ridiculous on its face. Thousands? Cheering? Thousands? Does the FEC have any regulations against hate speech?
Michael

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 am

Michael wrote:The statement is ridiculous on its face. Thousands? Cheering? Thousands? Does the FEC have any regulations against hate speech?

just found it strange that both would make the same comment, one that could be checked
very easily.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:54 am

He's got millions of people, he says. I guess that means he thinks millions of people believe anything he says.
Michael

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:08 am

Michael wrote:He's got millions of people, he says. I guess that means he thinks millions of people believe anything he says.

whether one agrees with his views or not, I dont see how someone like him or Ben could say something that can be checked so easily.
More so for something that can be used against them by those running against them.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:44 am

It doesn't matter whether it's checked or not. The people who support them won't change because of any factual errors the candidates make, especially if the supporters want to believe those facts.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:07 pm

Steve James wrote:It doesn't matter whether it's checked or not. The people who support them won't change because of any factual errors the candidates make, especially if the supporters want to believe those facts.

That seems to be true for a certain base of voters, that's the group to whom Trump is pandering, Carson has his, probably not exactly the same group.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Windwalker asked how Trump and Carson could come up with the stories about thousands of "Arabs" were cheering in New Jersey. According to psychologists, the answer is "false memory." Unfortunately, these memories would affect his policies toward real people. Anyway, all he really has to do is admit that he was mistaken and that it didn't happen, and should not be used to implicate U.S. Muslims in terrorist plots.

There's a difference between a lie and an honest mistake. However slight, it's a crucial distinction in politics, and especially in the campaign of Donald Trump.
On Saturday, the real-estate magnate insisted that after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, he watched news footage of "thousands of thousands of people" celebrating in northern New Jersey -- "where you have large Arab populations," in his words.

Journalists and researchers haven't found such footage, and public officials and law enforcement in New Jersey say Trump's account is utterly false.

But Trump's assertion might not be a bald-faced lie. Psychologists suggest that people unconsciously fabricate memories all the time, and that Trump might have done the same.

"I can't say that he's not lying," said Deryn Strange, a psychologist at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York. "But my research, and the research of my colleagues, certainly supports a more charitable interpretation: that this is a false memory."

While no footage of what Trump described has turned up, there is a clip of Palestinians celebrating the attacks in the West Bank, as The Washington Post's Glenn Kessler has reported. Newspapers, including The Post, stated that police had detained some people in northern New Jersey who were allegedly partying on rooftops and watching the mayhem in New York. It is unclear if the allegations were substantiated or if any charges were filed.

Trump -- and others who remember seeing people in New Jersey cheering the attacks on television -- might have conflated the two in their minds. "I can easily conceive how he could have developed this memory," Strange said. "All you need is a suggestion."

In the laboratory, psychologists are able to induce far more fantastic falsehoods in people all the time. In one entertaining study, researchers doctored people's childhood photographs to place them in hot air balloons. Then they showed the manipulated images to the adults whose photographs they used, along with real photographs from birthday parties and family vacations. The researchers were able to persuade half the adults in the study that they really had taken a ride in a hot air balloon as children.

Such false memories have been shown to persist for as long as a year and a half. And they aren't always fuzzy, vague memories, either. The mind has a tendency to embellish them with lifelike details, as Elizabeth Loftus of the University of California, Irvine, has written. People will remember embarrassing themselves at a wedding or nearly drowning and being rescued by a lifeguard.

Loftus, a psychologist and an expert on the ways the mind concocts memories, said it was more likely that Trump was misremembering than deliberately lying.

"Just because someone tells you something with a lot of confidence, detail and emotion, it doesn't mean it really happened," she said.

When it comes to the news, she noted, people are more likely to invent memories that support their political beliefs. She and her colleague showed participants in an online survey a doctored photograph of a false event involving either President George W. Bush or President Obama. They found that liberals were more likely to say they remembered President Bush vacationing with baseball ace Roger Clemens at his ranch during Hurricane Katrina, while conservatives were more likely to say they remembered President Obama meeting with former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadenijad. Neither meeting took place.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:36 am

It's not false memory. It's simply making things up. It's the Big Lie when it comes to those who repeat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQc6n_YZ5g
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Steve James wrote:It's not false memory. It's simply making things up. It's the Big Lie when it comes to those who repeat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQc6n_YZ5g

yep

who would we be talking about repeating what?

Last edited by windwalker on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bill on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:58 pm

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby chud on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:30 pm

Looks like Trump was right (again).
chud
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:26 pm

chud wrote:Looks like Trump was right (again).

Bullshit. In the Guzman piece, he talks about 8 people, not thousands. Secondly, there was no further confirmation that the men had anything to do with the attack. Third, the governor of New Jersey and Rudy Giuliani both denied that "thousands of Muslims" were celebrating. They said, though, that "some" people were celebrating. That's very true.

And, unless you or someone were around to actually see thousands of Muslims doing it, you're just passing along a rumor. At best, Trump can say that he saw reports of some people celebrating. That's not even the same as claiming that he saw it. I've seen reports that there weren't even people on the planes.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:27 pm

In his lying fact check, Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler writes, “There is absolutely no evidence of the celebration cited by Trump.” Except, of course, for all the proof listed here and a contemporaneous report in his own left-wing newspaper. A report, I should add, that Kessler did not include his initial fact check. Either this Hillary Guardian tried to cover up the Washington Post report, or he just didn’t look hard enough for evidence backing Trump’s claim.

This appeared in the Washington Post on September 18, 2001:

In Jersey City, within hours of two jetliners’ plowing into the World Trade Center, law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river.

The report was never retracted by the Washington Post.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism ... ebrations/

yep
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:27 pm

In his lying fact check, Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler writes, “There is absolutely no evidence of the celebration cited by Trump.” Except, of course, for all the proof listed here and a contemporaneous report in his own left-wing newspaper. A report, I should add, that Kessler did not include his initial fact check. Either this Hillary Guardian tried to cover up the Washington Post report, or he just didn’t look hard enough for evidence backing Trump’s claim.

This appeared in the Washington Post on September 18, 2001:

In Jersey City, within hours of two jetliners’ plowing into the World Trade Center, law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river.

The report was never retracted by the Washington Post.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism ... ebrations/

yep
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic