SPECTRE

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: SPECTRE

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:50 pm

But, you said it, Jason Bourne, even Ethan Hunt, are both great characters who are worth watching. I think it's hard to develop a storyline that surpasses the early Bond films, partly because of their quality, but also because of their novelty --at the time. The Bond formula was even being spoofed well in the 60s, until Moore's Bond spoofed Bond. That wasn't such a bad thing, btw. I do think that the writers understand what's good, but I don't think that Bond can do anything differently, no matter who the actor is. The only way to change the story is to change the character. That was tried in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," which was a good film that people didn't like so much as a Bond film.

Hey, give me a good theme song, good stunts and beautiful women, and I'll watch. Then again, I really liked "Kingsmen" :).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: SPECTRE

Postby Bao on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:13 am

Steve James wrote:But, you said it, Jason Bourne, even Ethan Hunt, are both great characters who are worth watching.

No. I never said that. And I don't think so. I said that the stories in good movies are character and relation based, not driven by action events.

I think it's hard to develop a storyline that surpasses the early Bond films, partly because of their quality, but also because of their novelty --at the time. ... The only way to change the story is to change the character.

No, I don't agree. The only way is to write a good script. Good in the sense that the story changes and develop according to character development and by interraction and relationships. The newest JB movies have a plot set up based on, or initiated by, personal events. But the progression of the story is just about adding effects and action. If you look at the classical movies, the story changes as the relationship changes. Someone might discover something about a character, or a Bond is led to believe something that later shows is not true. Every changes and progress in the story lines, and even the action is driven by personal interraction. This is how you build an interesting script that the audience will like to follow and take part of. The movies today starts with a story, you add a lot of scenes that have nothing to do with progress of anything and add nothing to the development of the story. And then it ends with some kind of climax that is no climax because there has been no set up.

Was this more clear?
Last edited by Bao on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic