Holm vs. Rousey

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Holm vs. Rousey

Postby Ah Louis on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:30 am

GrahamB wrote:That looks like zumba :(

How about Tae Bo gone Zumba?
Ah Louis

Postby Fubo on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:49 pm

cloudz wrote:
fubo wrote: I don't think she was out classed

For her sake, I'd hate to see the fight where you think she is outclassed.

:)

I didn't say she was a great boxer. Her main strength is her throwing and grappling experience with enough striking to make those things work. She just didn't set up the fight in the way the played to her opponents strengths. That doesn't mean she was out classed… It's means that she let her opponent implement her game through arrogance and lack of training. When I think of the "class" of an MMA fighter, I don't use any single attribute as the defining characteristic, but the whole.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:13 pm

In those last frames above, I just don't see her body behind her punches. Said punches don't appear as functional and focuesd when compared to Holm.
They do serve as an inefficient feint to go in and grapple, do ne-waza then pin/tap out the opponent. It looks like tai chi dance fever but as long as she appears to be the consumate entertainer, it is excellent for public consumption.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Ah Louis on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:33 am

Rumors are starting to circulate due to either injuries, or a broken fighting spirit Rousey isn't wanting to return to the ring. There is a high probability this isn't completely coming from her critics or haters. Or, it's promotional hype for her come back. There maybe a chunk of truth to Rousey not wanting to fight. She suffered a head injury and was clearly hurting before the K.O. She has been on top for so long with a good dose of celebrity and an impressive fight record. Fame was treating her good. Then comes the fall. A long hard fall. Such a hard loss could have really damaged her confidence and ego.

How she may walk away from fighting might be also a result of her injuries. If she doesn't clear the med exam, she isn't fighting. A kick to the head being more damaging then a punch could have really inflict serious long term injury. Combine that with the punishment she suffered from Holm's punching, Rousey could have long term injuries that may prevent her from fighting.

Like her or not, Rousey has done more for the promotion of women beating the crap out of each other than any fighter ever. Rousey has been a icon for many female fighters and fans. She has become a house-hold name unlike any female fighter in any fighting sport ever. If she doesn't return to the ring and win all that will evaporate placing female fighters back in the shadows.

Cyborg and all the other female fighters, including Holms should be thanking Rousey. Without Rousey these female fighters would still be fighting in obscurity for peanuts. They all should be concerned if Rousey doesn't come back and with a win.
Ah Louis

Postby Michael on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:27 am

That kick to the head looked like Holms pulled it almost as much as the blows she threw at the end when she jumped on Rousey and barely touched more than air.
Michael

Postby cloudz on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:50 am

Fubo wrote:
cloudz wrote:
fubo wrote: I don't think she was out classed

For her sake, I'd hate to see the fight where you think she is outclassed.

:)

I didn't say she was a great boxer. Her main strength is her throwing and grappling experience with enough striking to make those things work. She just didn't set up the fight in the way the played to her opponents strengths. That doesn't mean she was out classed… It's means that she let her opponent implement her game through arrogance and lack of training. When I think of the "class" of an MMA fighter, I don't use any single attribute as the defining characteristic, but the whole.

Stop waffling brother. She got her ass handed to her, with a cherry on top.

I said before that she was outclassed in striking. You say she was not outclassed in this fight, and proceed to define it in a way that no one else does. Yes she was outclassed in this fight, in every single department, she couldn't do a single fucking thing right. She even got taken down with a body lock..

The other girl looked a class apart in this fight, quite simply. Maybe she really isn't and next time will be different. We'll see. You know if you can do next to fuck all to someone else and they can pretty much pick you off with ease and dictate the whole engagement. hmm, let's see what the dictionary has to say about how outclassed is defined; "surpass decisively". Check, yes I think so. :)
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:16 am

Not sure if this was posted, but fight analysis here by Jack Slack
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/how-holl ... nda-rousey
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:38 pm

I liked how Holly Holm led a lot with the left cross, it was smart just because that way she got close, did damage with one shot, then got back away and circling again before the tie up/throw came. good strategy...
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Dan Djurdjevic on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:16 am

I discuss the above gif of Ronda Rousey's punching and the question of "what makes a beginner" in this post:

http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.com.au/20 ... inner.html
Last edited by Dan Djurdjevic on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Djurdjevic
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:01 am

Rematch agreed :)$$$
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:23 am

She got hit with a punch 30 seconds into the fight that left her totally woozy.
Wasn't thinking clearly.

She kept telling herself everything will be okay if she kept fighting.
Trip
Wuji

Postby chud on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:40 am

Dana White has decided that Holly Holm will have to wait and fight Ronda Rousey again before she can fight anyone else.
Last edited by chud on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:30 pm

Honest question.
Can anyone list champions who were dominated and knocked out who got an immediate rematch?
Trip
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:35 pm

thought some might find this interesting

Training by fighting men before the Marines helped me to be a better fighter against women of my own weight and rank. But women are at a disadvantage fighting men, especially those that actually want to capture or kill them.

RhondaRouseyEven the toughest female fighter in the world, UFC Bantamweight champion Rhonda Rousey said as much when the issue came up of fighting Fallon Fox,
formerly a man, citing “the bone structure, the muscular structure of a man [after puberty]. There’s no ‘undo’ button for that.”

Tamikka Brents, a female who actually did fight Fox, said, “I’ve never felt so overpowered ever in my life and I am an abnormally strong female in my own right.” To put females at the front where they are much more likely to have to engage in hand to hand combat with men is barbaric, not empowering to women.

When I joined, I wanted to go to the front. Being outside the wire the reality of having to fight in close contact looms large, and the enemy we were facing then seems somewhat docile compared to ISIS today. There was a chance I would face them.

In the combat roles, it’s not a chance, it’s probable, and today’s enemy uses meth. Fighting ISIS on meth hand-to-hand. It’s every girl’s dream, right?

"© Jude Eden 2008-2015 All Rights Reserved. Jude Eden is a Hillsdale College grad, a Jewish Marine Corps OIF Veteran, cancer survivor, musician, wife of a handsome Brazilian, gardener, chef, cat and dog lover. Follow on Twitter at @Jude_Eden"
http://politicalanimalblog.com/2015/08/ ... nd-combat/

“I don’t think that somebody who used to be a man and became a woman should be able to fight another woman.” Rousey has said of Fox,

“She can try hormones, chop her pecker off, but it’s still the same bone structure a man has. It’s an advantage. I don’t think it’s fair.” Despite this hostility, Fox has persisted in her efforts to fight in the UFC, citing Olympic committee rules and the compelling medical evidence that shows transgender athletes have no significant competitive advantage.

http://jezebel.com/fuck-moving-on-talki ... 1720469599

mmm dont know about that in most venues its not allowed because it does.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Oh look, a dog with a bone. Bet it ain't impressive. ;)
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic