TED Anti-Aging

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

TED Anti-Aging

Postby Strange on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:29 am

天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: TED Anti-Aging

Postby Dmitri on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:44 pm

The most spectacular facial hair + a subtle, but nonetheless terribly annoying, speech impediment + not-so-subtle, very much in-yo-face, self-promotion...

And in the end... he's gonna get old, possibly sick, and definitely die, I'm sorry to break it to him. :P :)

All that talk and no mention of the really important little things like exercise and proper nutrition and rest?! ::)
Whatever, hairy dude. Good luck changing the world.
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:27 pm

Strange premis for the talk. Aging is damage? Aging is something programmed in our DNA, that we slow down rejuvination. Researchers believe that we might soon be able to use nano technique to destroy or re-program the code in our DNA that tells the cells to stop rejuvinate. A professor I met was very seriously about this and told me that we might belong to one of the few last generations that need to die out of old age.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:50 am

Bao wrote:A professor I met was very seriously about this and told me that we might belong to one of the few last generations that need to die out of old age.

Hope springs eternal... ideas similar to "fountain of youth" have been around forever.
Did he mention at what age we would all be "fixed"? 20? 30? 40? What's the Goldilocks Age? :)

The real problem is entropy, and I just can't see any way around it. Everything changes.

I can see a (very remote) possibility of developing technology to sustain a reasonably functioning brain "indefinitely" while it's hooked up to some machine that continuously feeds nutrients and medications into it keeping cells from falling apart, but even that's a big stretch. But let's say it were possible -- I'm not so sure anyone would want that kind of "life" anyway.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:16 am

Dmitri wrote:
Bao wrote:A professor I met was very seriously about this and told me that we might belong to one of the few last generations that need to die out of old age.

Hope springs eternal... ideas similar to "fountain of youth" have been around forever.
Did he mention at what age we would all be "fixed"? 20? 30? 40? What's the Goldilocks Age? :)

The real problem is entropy, and I just can't see any way around it. Everything changes.

I can see a (very remote) possibility of developing technology to sustain a reasonably functioning brain "indefinitely" while it's hooked up to some machine that continuously feeds nutrients and medications into it keeping cells from falling apart, but even that's a big stretch. But let's say it were possible -- I'm not so sure anyone would want that kind of "life" anyway.

I might ask him... 8-) A life span of a few thousand years might be experted. But then you have accidents and things you can't avoid.
Anyway, there's a lot of interesting science just about being realized. With Nano technique, you could go right into cancer cells and destroy them from inside. We are soon there.

Have you seen Galaxy express 999? That's how I Imagine life on Earth will become... Not a very positive view on the future.. ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:18 am

Fwiw, if lifespan increased to 500 years, there'd still be youth and old age.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:29 am

dun know about you
but i'm thinking about ALL the things i could understand!
it would be grand :D
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:44 am

Every living thing has a programmed "death gene," and its purpose is to ensure the continuation of Life, not that particular individual. Life only continues because things die. Quality of individual life, regardless of length, is much more important. That said, living longer is always a goal.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:48 am

Steve James wrote:Every living thing has a programmed "death gene," and its purpose is to ensure the continuation of Life, not that particular individual. Life only continues because things die. Quality of individual life, regardless of length, is much more important. That said, living longer is always a goal.

Great. I think this concept goes over peoples' head and they are incapable of understanding the concept but the central theme has always been so. Apoptosis or 'programmed cell death' may be assisted or follow it natural path through dietary and environmental "manipulation". All of this affects mitochondrial regulation but the job is done, regardless. No doubt that hereditary is central to longevity.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Steve James wrote:Life only continues because things die.

Not sure I follow...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:15 pm

The only proven therapy is long term caloric deprivation, but that obviously comes with some serious issues.

I know a new study is out on using metformin and some of the science looks good.

Outside of regular exercise and healthy living most of these people are pushing a load of crap.

It's probably good for book sales...
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:39 pm

Dmitri wrote:
Steve James wrote:Life only continues because things die.

Not sure I follow...

You have to eat life.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Ah, I see; thanks.

(Actually I'm not sure it is technically 100% true anymore, i.e. fully-artificial food technologies might be at the point where it is sort of enough for basic sustenance, but I don't know nearly enough on this subject...)

Bao wrote:Have you seen Galaxy express 999?

No, but thanks for the reference -- will likely rent. 7.6 on IMDb ain't bad...
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:54 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:43 pm

Why be afraid of dying?
Was it so bad before you were born?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill