Gymnastic Bodies - anyone at it?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Gymnastic Bodies - anyone at it?

Postby Rabbit on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:16 am

Partly motivated by my injury ridden body I have signed up for Foundation 1 & Hand Stand 1 with the intention of building myself up from scratch, joints, tendons, muscle.

Did my first session today and was trembling afterwards at even very basic intensity

Is anyone else doing the program?

I would love to discuss you progress and experiences
Rabbit
Wuji

Re: Gymnastic Bodies - anyone at it?

Postby I-mon on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:34 pm

I worked on it for a few months and then got sidetracked. It's a good program, I will get back into it at some point when I'm a bit more settled and have a convenient place to hang my rings.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Simon on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Yes been using it for about 1 year now.Very good progressions.

Foundation series is where its at.
Simon
Wuji

Postby middleway on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:01 am

I am signing up in the new year. :) been playing with this stuff for about a year but decided to do it properly. let me know how you get on rabbit :)
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Rabbit on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:42 am

I will do Chris

I have a knee injury at the moment which is really irritating so I am concentrating on drinking beer and eating junk until next week

The programming seems very confusing at first although im sure its solid. Maybe others can help?

Would love to have an on going thread on this program if people are interested
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:38 pm

I was interested in this as I'd love to have some bodyweight exercises to work on while I'm travelling (I'm really missing my pole and my weapons and I'm beginning to get a bit thin) but looking at the Foundation series you really need a gym to do most of the material (bars, ropes etc)

Can anyone recommend similar material that can be done anywhere without equipment?

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 am

I have Foundation 1 and have started it a couple of times but never finished the entire thing as I found it a time suck to do all 6 of the progressions.

It's very good and comprehensive stuff and I found it both systematic and logical.

Eventually I took the things that I found useful (for me it was the one leg squat, planche, and manna progressions) and incorporated them into normal training and put the rest of them on the back burner.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Rabbit on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:34 am

OK

I have reached week three maximum load - de load week next week - three days F1 - 2 days HS1

Most elements I have started at week 9 and am only going to moving to the next progression on two elements

The program is quite humbling and a bit dull if you follow it with accuracy and it does take time but not that much - you just need to get on with it and get it done

This said the programming seems really good and surprisingly precise for an on line course and I can really see why people sing its praises for rehabilitation, ironing out weak spots, deficiencies, and imbalances in the body.

The temptation to skip ahead or cherry pick is huge but IMO completely defeats the point of the program as i'm sure you could find the progressions elsewhere

If you try it I recommend checking checking the form checks in the private forum as they are brutally precise and you can easily think your kicking it when in fact your far from the standard

In terms of equipment at this stage ..... rings in the garden, a couple of barbells , broom stick, floor / yoga mat

After one more month and I reckon I will move on quite a bit

Anyone else?
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:10 pm

How goes it? I need the super easy level
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:38 am

planning to go through it this winter when the weather's cruddy.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Tried the Jefferson Curl after listening to the Tim Ferriss podcast with Coach Sommer.

Ugh. Humbling. My calves are such a limiting factor right now. I think I will do these often from now on.

Q: what should I do to balance this the other direction?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:47 am

back at it again since last Fall as rebuilding after a medium sized sports injury: I do think some of the progressions are a bit more worthwhile than others. Straddle planche, for example, just skip to the arch ups, the supermans are good but the body rock is not...otoh some of the supplemental stretch exercises are quite worthwhile in their own right... I cannot do a twisting squat to save me life for example... overall still enjoying it
Last edited by vadaga on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Tue May 08, 2018 1:23 pm

packing it in for the summer... there is biking and swimming to be done... will pick it up again in Autumn when the weather turns cold again...
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic