Arabian Nights

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Arabian Nights

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:50 am

Miguel Gomes's new six hour three part film retells the Arabian Nights against the backdrop of economic austerity measures in Portugal from August 2103 to July 2014.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/02/03/thousand-movies-miguel-gomes-arabian-nights/

Viewed through the haze of Gomes’s film, the book emerges as a sumptuous, hyper version of the filmmaker’s previous works—above all, in the way that it offers lessons in stories that require the presence of another story: a work as an anthology. Gomes has always enjoyed combining two separate elements in a single film, and in Arabian Nights this technique is cosmically expanded. Each new story stylistically corrects or contradicts the story preceding it. (Other movies can seem so uniform, after a period of Gomes-viewing…) An index of the film’s second part, “The Desolate One,” is an exercise in genre revision: a slow western about an escaped convict on the run from police is followed by a theatrical and nocturnal court proceeding, in some kind of amphitheater, complete with genie and talking cow, which is then followed by a vérité story set in a rundown tower block.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Re: Arabian Nights

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Looks cool.

Thanks for posting.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Re: Arabian Nights

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:45 pm

But at 6 hours long where will it play besides NY and LA? SF, I hope. Start a campaign to have it play in Seattle.

I saw a 9 hour cut of Abel Gance's "Napoleon" a few years ago in Oakland and it was well worth giving up a rainy Saturday to see it.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic