The Long Good Friday

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Long Good Friday

Postby Josealb on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:12 pm

I saw this movie a couple of days ago, and reckon this to be one of the very best i've seen. Anybody familiar with it?

Its the ultimate British gangster film. I had a little trouble with the cockney accents (there are no subs available for this...i spent a week looking for em), but me ear got tuned to it after a while. Word of advice to the interested in watching this...stay away from the trailer. 70's and early 80's movie trailers seem to always manage to spoil something.

Last edited by Josealb on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Re: The Long Good Friday

Postby Teazer on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:00 pm

That was a brilliant film.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:10 pm

Excellent film for sure. If you liked that, I'd suggest the original "Get Carter" (1971) with Michael Caine. Do NOT bother with the remake using Sly Stallone.

Michael

Postby Josealb on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:32 am

Will get it, Thanks michael.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby kenneth delves on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:41 am

Probably the best brit gangster film ever, Hoskins was brilliant. Also Check out 'Brighton Rock'
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Downloading Brighton Rock and Get Carter as i write this. Thanks a bunch for the recommends.

Watched Layer Cake recently also, pretty damn good as well....

"You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son."
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby kenneth delves on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:35 pm

Brighton Rock[based on a Graham Greene novel] was the beginning of more gritty realistic post war cinema[1947] after the [often well made] war films which in general lauded the officer class. The death sentence was still around[by hanging] and the razor was the villain's weapon of choice, the film caused quite a stir in its day.
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Given the recommendations, I wanna see that movie. Jose, get the USB disk ready.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Andy_S on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:34 am

"Long Good Friday" is a terrific film - Hoskins' best ever (one of Piers Brosnan's earliest roles, too). I prefer it to "Get Carter," but for two for the price of one - with some very nasty sleaze and violence - you might want to check out "Mona Lisa" with Hoskins AND Caine.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F8CAdm_1gZA

And of course, the ultimate British cops and gangstas film is "The Sweeney" (a spin-off from the TV series). Teh second one - about the gang of armed robbers living on Malta with their families who go back to London for "one last job"which, naturally goes horribly pear-shaped is the best. Classic scene when the top villain goes fishing with a sawn-off Purdey.
Sweeney 1
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rebjsci5VAY
(Cheesy trailor, but you get the drift)
Sweeney 2
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=09luU0hovfI
Worth tracking this film down.

Then there is Oliver Reed at his most brutal in "Sitting Target." Reed is a very, very violent con who busts out of pokey - but has to murder his chearing wife before fleeing the country. Great jailbreak at the beginning, and Reed causing all sorts of savage mayhem for rest of film. DO NOT WATCH PAST 3:37 ON THIS CLIP! MASSIVE SPOILERS!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jt6NDWtHz9Y

Oh, and as Delvesy says, check out "Brighton Rock." Dated but brilliant perf by Attenborough. One of Scorcese's fave films, apparently.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfRPeqBEQ8

Avoid, at all costs, "The Krays" - which is utter krap. (It stars the tossers from Spandau Ballet, so you can guess how shite it would be.)
Last edited by Andy_S on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:09 am

Thanks Jose and all -- just got it on my Netflix queue. 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby kenneth delves on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:09 pm

'Sexy Beast' is another interesting movie, although Ben Kingsley , a fine actor, comes off as totally unconvincing as a psycho, Ian McShane, previously known for his comedy series Lovejoy[recommended-particularly if you are into antiques], was on the other hand, chilling, this came out later in' Deadwood'
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:28 pm

Delvesy:

RE: "Sexy Beast"
Oh, never heard of it, will have to look it up. Odd that Kinglsey didn't pull the role off -he is a fine thesp.

McShane also played the con who breaks out with Reed in "Sitting Target." I was thinking about this film the other night. While it is by no means the classic that "Long Good Friday" is, Reed's performance as a savagely violent man is chillingly convincing.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Yeah ben kingsley was very disappointing in Sexy Beast

I'd second the Get Carter recommendation. Caine is(was) a true badass
Finny
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:38 am

long good friday is a great film and reflects a lot of what i vaguely remember as a kid in london

:)

I also thought Hoskins was really good in Mona Lisa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa_(film)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:01 pm

Lock Stock and 2 smoking barrels.
Snatch
Layer Cake
Brick
Get Carter
the Italian Job (the original not the remake)

these are al good gangland films.

anyone seen rock and rolla yet?
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic