Runners high vs qigong or meditation

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Runners high vs qigong or meditation

Postby everything on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Care to compare or contrast?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Runners high vs qigong or meditation

Postby wiesiek on Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:30 am

quite different types of >highs<
you can not compare heroin and LSD, different beasts.
contrast:
heroin /running/- everything what you gets is cool and pretty
LSD - discover a new world.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:03 pm

some scientists just did an experiment in the UK taking MRI scans of subjects' brains after giving them LSD or placebo. The on-LSD brains were more "whole" and connected in processing and more visual-oriented (explaining hallucinations?).
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:05 pm

just wondering about the runners high. I've had it but it doesn't seem worth it, necessarily. I think IMA people should get much of the mental and Zen aspects more quickly
everything
Wuji

Postby Spncr on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:02 am

Last edited by Spncr on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby everything on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:44 am

Interesting. I guess there is a question of how one can have the endocannabinoid effect w/o the "extra" cardio and wear and tear.

As a middle-aged athlete, I already run too much and see friends basically doing deliberate damage from too mu. If "runners" want a workout, to feel their body in space, or some kind of "Zen", I'd like to invite them to come be thrown on the mat, or play some soccer or try zhan zhuang. Much more difficult. ;D
everything
Wuji

Postby chud on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:04 am

I've never been a runner, but I used to be on the swim team in high school and would get runner's high when we had to swim laps; the first 5 or so laps would be hell, but after that my body would just sort of take over like a robot and I would feel like I could swim for hours.
I used to look forward to it ("five laps of hell, and then paradise").

I don't think it's really the same as the feeling I get during chi kung, but my opinion may change (interesting things are starting to happen, but the jury is still out). ;D
chud
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:27 pm

There are unique and different levels of understanding about oneself is the better way I can describe it.
Runners high comes about after x miles (guessing 5-7 miles or so and depending on training) but after you go over that threshold of stiffness, tiredness, aerobic/anaerobic ranges, you coast into a 'comfortable" autopilot where there is the appearance you can run forever. MY best times for a mile was 5:30-5:45 until I was 40 then I began to go downhill ;D

I do not meditate, per se but it is good top relax and try to escape the rat race!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic