Da fever just got more complicated...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Da fever just got more complicated...

Postby Peacedog on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:42 pm

Peacedog
Great Old One

Re: Da fever just got more complicated...

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:26 pm

OMG... :-X That's almost like reading theonion.com
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:45 pm

We might have to wait for the news to come from other news feeds. If true, though, it seems like the intent is to make sure that Chinese men have Chinese women to marry. Otoh, it immediately stigmatizes Chinese women married to non-Chinese men. Well, unfortunately, love and attraction don't work that way. What non-Chinese guys will have to worry about is trying to date Chinese women. Otooh, some non-Chinese women are probably cheering ;).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:30 pm

Steve James wrote: If true, though, it seems like the intent is to make sure that Chinese men have Chinese women to marry.

Yep. The Chinese government's one-child policy, and the preference of parents in China to have male (over female) children, has led to a situation where now many Chinese men have almost no chance of getting married (unless they marry a girl from elsewhere).

Now that the Chinese gov't realizes the situation the country is in, they are reacting the way they always have: by trying to control the actions of their (female) people.
But as Steve pointed out, attraction is not something that is controllable. ;)

The Chinese government has made their bed, now they'll have to lie in it.
chud
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Wow! This sounds almost unbelievable to be true...

Actually, one result of this kind of law is that couples will just pair up or have children without getting married instead... :-\
Last edited by edededed on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby onebir on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:13 pm

edededed wrote:Actually, one result of this kind of law is that couples will just pair up or have children without getting married instead... :-\

Quite hard to stay in the country long-term without a marriage visa. I guess biological fathers will still have some rights to 'visit' their children long-term... ???
Insanity is repeating a nonsensical definition of insanity, and expecting it to eventually make sense.
onebir
Anjing

Postby edededed on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:45 pm

From the point of view of expats in China... If it is even illegal to marry a local and start a family there, is it even worth going to live in? Great if one only wants to "play," but... I think that it will be hard to get any expats to live in China from here on.

Plus, men having trouble getting married in China is a multi-pronged issue with many reasons - for example, the whole "you have to have a house and car and alpha" thing to even be considered for marriage if you are a man is a bit damning.

Perhaps as revenge, Chinese men should not be allowed to marry foreign women via the opposite countries - but of course that would be quite mean on a personal level (don't want to fall to that level).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby onebir on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:42 pm

edededed wrote:Great if one only wants to "play," but... I think that it will be hard to get any expats to live in China from here on.

Actually life just got easier for those who just want to "play" - no possibility of marriage so no awkward conversations... If a Chinese woman shows sexual interest in a foreign man post-2018, that's exactly what she's interested in.

They've just unknowingly (?*) created a situation that could well encourage self-selection for "playboyism" among expats. Not to mention flight
Insanity is repeating a nonsensical definition of insanity, and expecting it to eventually make sense.
onebir
Anjing

Postby johnbecker on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:24 am

Since when did the courts pass legislation? The details I can't recall, but laws are passed by the various People's Congresses. The courts exist to punish those who don't do the Party's bidding.

Not that this place isn't crazy enough anyhow...

Plus, men having trouble getting married in China is a multi-pronged issue with many reasons - for example, the whole "you have to have a house and car and alpha" thing to even be considered for marriage if you are a man is a bit damning.

On completing the marriage ceremony, a registrar in one Chinese city told a former colleague of mine, 'I'll see you for the divorce'. Nice guy, Alaskan, and he wasn't joking when he said it. Also commented on how at times his widowed mother-in-law ****ed him off, including taking the grandchild to the hospital for IV antibiotics without his consent one time. Something I learned early on was you don't marry the girl, you marry the whole family. From what I've heard many expat marriages end in divorce...but then the local divorce rate isn't tiny either.

Too many boys and not enough girls? Time for them to start promoting some Rainbow parades instead of the usual ones then :)
johnbecker
Santi

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am

Is this for real?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:25 am

My wife searched around and says that it's a joke.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:07 am

Oh... Probably a misunderstanding. This law should be true, but concerns only police, diplomats and military. The law is for state security.

It's mostly in the villages where men heavily outwieghts women and not in the cities. So a law as proposed in the topic would have no real impact as stated in the artcle. ... You know... Not even Chinese woman from the big cities wants to marry poor peasants, so the problems goes deeper than this.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnbecker on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:10 am

Bao wrote:Oh... Probably a misunderstanding. This law should be true, but concerns only police, diplomats and military. The law is for state security.

It's mostly in the villages where men heavily outwieghts women and not in the cities. So a law as proposed in the topic would have no real impact as stated in the artcle. ... You know... Not even Chinese woman from the big cities wants to marry poor peasants, so the problems goes deeper than this.

Yes, they recently enacted travel bans on managers over a certain level. One of my colleagues recently got the ten year visitors visa for the USA. About a week later she found out her husband can't travel abroad now due to rules just enacted.
johnbecker
Santi

Postby johnbecker on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:17 am

Having seen some of the local girls lose their tempers with their boyfriends, I expect there's a few men around here eagerly scouring the Thai marriage websites. Mind you, an American ex-pat in Bangkok told me how his ex-wife attacked him with a straight razor, while the mother-in-law shot the dad in the head with his police service pistol (fortunately the bullet ricocheted off his skull).

Funny how many men come to Asia to find one of those nice subservient wives they dream about in their fantasies...
johnbecker
Santi

Postby willie on Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:20 am

my girls from Korea, there has been only 3 arguments in my house in 14 years.
honest, respectful, beautiful, hardworking, no drugs, no drinking, I'm a lucky guy.
willie

Next

Return to Off the Topic