Questions about the spine.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Questions about the spine.

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:35 am

I figured I'd put this off topic.

So, i've been moving stuff around really deep for awhile now, but my spine has been relaxing and opening up slowy. I keep having things move around and relax on one end of the spine and keep having the answer for it to relax on the other end...like I have this thing in my shoulder (where there was a severe injury) and it let go a little finally after I had a big opening around my cocyx the other day.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a good reference for anatomy pictures and if any of the medical guys or yoga guys could tell me why things open that way.

I'm trying to be less gung ho and more balanced in my practice now that my body is open enough to move around all the stuff inside. Seems kind of dangerous sometimes.

Anyhoo...if the answer is "google is your friend" I'll take it. But I was hoping I could get some easy answers out of ya'll.

Best as always,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Re: Questions about the spine.

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:43 am

Hey Sean-

There's a couple of avenues you can take to acquire lots of information.
First thing is to grab yourself a textbook on topical anatomy and physiology.
You can get the anatomy stuff from art supply stores and you will find understandable, medical quality drawings
of bone structure, musculature etc etc and you won't be inundated with latin terms and confusing writing that you will
find at the other end of the spectrum, same subject, but medical texts.

Also, as far as the Yoga goes, you can collect many a text on that and get instruction just about anywhere these days.
I would suggest maybe to try it out and query the teacher about the minutia in your concerns.
In a very broad sense, Yoga returns a spine to health with continued practice and because of the health of the spine the rest of the body will often follow suit.

Ultimately, the course of events is different for everyone, but the structure of the human form is in essence the same.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:05 am

if i had to answer i would say because everything is connected...
sometimes when people have things like back pain it might be related to a slightly misaligned knee, hip, or ankle...

one of the best anatomy references that i have in my library is
atlas of human anatomy by frank netter m.d.
http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Human-Anato ... 763&sr=1-1
i think i have the 2and edition- maybe you can find a used copy of an older ed. on the web somewhere

in the past i have also used- books like
the anatomy coloring book
http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Coloring- ... 143&sr=8-2
and the coloring review guide to human anatomy
http://www.amazon.com/Coloring-Review-G ... 179&sr=8-1

these all are just anatomy-
not really any medical theory..

another thing you might want to look into is applied kinesiology
it deals with working with the body's muscles agonist-antagonist
a good basic guide would be something like- touch for health
http://www.touch4health.com/index.html
or
http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Health-Comp ... 280&sr=1-1

and this books looks interesting- i think i will have to get a copy for myself
http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Kinesiolo ... bb_product
and it is here on google books
http://books.google.co.vi/books?id=gdMt ... #PPA156,M1

franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:12 am

Thanks guys, lots of interesting info. Much appreciated.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:12 am

Shawn:

Perhaps the following reference materials will be of some value to you:

Vertebral Subluxation is a term for misalignment of bones of the spine, which puts pressure on nerves that exit these bones. Subluxations upset the ability of the brain to control and coordinate the function of the body. Subluxations can be painless and often remain dormant for years before exhibiting any type of symptom. Subluxations are caused by stresses to which the body cannot adapt. Things such as the birth process, bad posture, auto accidents, emotional stress, chemical stress and falls are some examples of the types of stress that can cause interference in the flow of nerve information going to and from the brain.

Stages of Spinal Subluxation

Image Image Image

http://www.drkowalik.com/docs/chart.pdf

Image Image

Any time an energy meridian has been determined to be dysfunctional or out of balance, the energy meridian will always have a direct effect on its corresponding spinal Shu or Associated Points, located two fingers breadth bilateral to the midline spinous process or Governing Vessel (GV). Any imbalance of an energy meridian will in fact alter the dynamics of the Yin/Yang organ function, and will likewise affect the musculoskeletal system, resulting in an aberration of motion and function affecting the specific vertebral level. Vertebral subluxations of this type are referred to as energetic subluxations of the vertebrae, whereby spinal fixation is created due to the hypertonic paraspinal musculature on one side of the vertebrae and the hypotonic musculature on the opposite side. Proper stimulation of the correct energy points, whether by acupuncture treatments or other energy point therapy, will most often relieve associated symptoms and will insure a more lasting effect from any chiropratic or osteopathic adjustments to the spine which are done in conjunction with the energy point treatments.

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:18 am

I can always rely on you for the pictures, Doc. Thanks.

S

edit: And the info too. Really appreciate it.
Last edited by shawnsegler on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:29 am

shawnsegler wrote:I can always rely on you for the pictures, Doc. Thanks.

edit: And the info, too. Really appreciate it.

Not a problem, man. My pleasure as always.

Doc :)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:38 am

Holy Crap Doc, way to take the time! :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:33 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Holy Crap Doc, way to take the time! :)

Thanks, man. It didn't take very long, since this topic is one I am already very familiar with, and I have accumulated a huge file of images and graphics for clinic and class use through the years. It's fun to do now and then.

Doc :)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:36 pm

I don't have pictures or anything, but alot of what you are saying is the basis for craniosacral manipulation. You should maybe look at the theory behind that for some insights.

And thanks Doc, that was a cool little write up.
Last edited by Brady on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brady
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:22 pm

I echo Darth's "Holy crap, Doc." That's quite an extensive series of diagrams and info. Good stuff.

Shawn,
Additionally, Mantak Chia's book on Iron Shirt Chi Kung has some basic, descriptive diagrams (they're simple line drawings and nothing as detailed as the pictures Doc provided) that show what is happening to the vertabrae, discs, and the structure/shape of the spine as a whole when you are "opening" it to create proper alignment and remove slack.
Last edited by Interloper on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Brady wrote:I don't have pictures or anything, but alot of what you are saying is the basis for craniosacral manipulation.

Craniosacral Therapy

CranioSacral Therapy is an osteopathic system of manipulation which originated in the early 1900’s. At that time it was noticed that the skull was not one solid mass, but actually made up of separate bones, separated by sutures, allowing for a very subtle, yet definite movement. After years of exploring this phenomenon, it became clear that limitation of very specific cranial motions were either indicative of restrictions involving the rest of the body, or were causing problems within the head itself.

A skilled practitioner is able to detect the motion of the cranium by gently placing her hands at various positions on the head, and is also capable of determining exactly how the motion is restricted, and the possible implications. In actuality, the practitioner is feeling the movement of cerebrospinal fluids that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord. The cerebrospinal fluids are pumped in rhythmical cycles, much like the heartbeat, but significantly slower.

Restrictions in motion could potentially be related to sensory, motor, or neurological disabilities. These problems may manifest as chronic pain anywhere in the body, or eye difficulties, scoliosis, motor-coordination impairments, learning disabilities, and other health challenges.

CranioSacral Therapy is an extremely gentle and relaxing method, encouraging the body’s natural healing mechanisms to release the negative effects of stress on your central nervous system, as well as correct restrictions in the body brought on by physical injuries, whether small or significant.

http://www.face-and-emotion.com/datafac ... ranium.jsp

Doc
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:52 pm

My mom does craniosacral therapy really well, but alas, she lives in Florida ... a long distance from where I live.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:04 pm

The following chart describes an excellent yoga routine known as the Sun Salutation or Surya Namaskar, which will naturally and gently realign the spinal vertebrae while also stretching the spine. I have practiced this exercise with great benefits for more than 40 years. Check it out.

http://store.hssus.org/images/SNYposter.jpg

Doc
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:06 pm

i would also say that cranial sacral therapy would be some good information to explore

i learned applied kinesiology and some basic cranial sacral work from one of my teachers...

i have the book- craniosacral therapy by upledger-
http://www.amazon.com/Craniosacral-Ther ... 201&sr=8-1

its pretty dense though
when i have time i plan to work through it

franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic