Anyone watching Viceland?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Anyone watching Viceland?

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Just discovered this channel. Just this morning they've covered suicide in South Korea and now bare knuckle boxing in Britain, featuring James McKinney. I'm glad to see that Vice is still growing and going in-depth into subject matter and stories that the mass media rarely gets to.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Anyone watching Viceland?

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Then even have a Vice Essentials on Italian kung fu.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby BonesCom on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:55 am

Long time Vice viewer. I remember trying to hunt down copies of their magazine in the hipster fashions stores in NZ.
They've got some good doc's, I would especially recommend the three(?) part series where Shane Smith goes to North Korea, and the sex industry in Japan doc., and donkey sex in Columbia, carp in the Mississippi river, and many others.
Me and the wife are going to start watching Vice does America soon, looks like fun.
Last edited by BonesCom on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:17 am

I saw one on quick sand fetishes and I was confused.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby BonesCom on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:43 am

Yeah you're going to get that, the Japanese sex industry one left me feeling dirty and confused...

The David Cross in China episode is definitely worth viewing, especially if you dig Arrested Development.

I really enjoyed this one as well:

The thing to remember is that they release all sorts of stuff. They get criticized for being duplicitous but Vice is not one coherent unit. It's more like a group of people writing/filming stuff that might not get covered elsewhere.

Oh and definitely check out the North Korean labor camps in Russia episode, some crazy shit going on in the Russian wilderness.

I think one thing I like about there docs is that they tend to be relatively neutral/non-judgmental. Maybe that's just because I'm a underground hipster...
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby chud on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:26 pm

grzegorz wrote:Just discovered this channel.

I've been watching it the past couple months, it's pretty good.
I don't care for the King of the Road (skateboarding) show, but they do have some good documentaries and good food shows.
chud
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:12 pm

I agree, they are very good about not judging what they are showing.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby BonesCom on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:59 am

Being an alien I find their series on pizza in different parts of States really interesting.
And they did a good one on bbq, which I liked because since moving here I realized that I adore ribs and enjoy knowing what the different regional styles are like. My wife and I have a pact that we need to try every bbq place we find...
BonesCom
Huajing

Return to Off the Topic