All lives matter or black lives matter?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

All lives matter or black lives matter?

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:33 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: All lives matter or black lives matter?

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Thank you for the insightful link.

Truth matter! But some peoples lies matter more when they can exercise those lies into the marketplace and pretend otherwise.
If they were slapped in the face, those same people will deny that same truth in plain sight. It will continue to work ;D
Last edited by yeniseri on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Interesting how the police are blaming Black Lives Matter every time an officer gets shot.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:50 pm

grzegorz wrote:Interesting how the police are blaming Black Lives Matter every time an officer gets shot.

That's because it's a slogan. So, wearing a tee shirt, saying the words, or sniping at police officers are all the same. Of course, if I say "My Life Matters" and I'm Black, does that make me a terrorist? Or is there some kind of phobia at work?

And, if All Lives Matter, doesn't that mean that Muslim lives matter too? Iow, isn't all lives matter the same as all men are created equal?

Anyway, I don't think one can argue against the phrase unless one believes that "Some lives don't matter."

Also, once the phrase becomes a slogan, it can be co-opted by anyone. For ex., I wonder who produces all those tee shirts and where the profits go. The same applies to organizations. Otoh, however, it's too easy to use google image and find lots of non-Black people wearing those tee shirts.

Btw, fwiw, I would never wear a shirt saying Black Lives Matter any more than I'd carry a sign reading "I Am a Man." The first should be obvious to anyone, and if it's not, there's no point in wearing a shirt. Carrying the sign would be humiliating. It suggests that I'm giving the observer the option to deny my humanity. Jmho.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:11 pm

" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 pm

grzegorz wrote:Interesting how the police are blaming Black Lives Matter every time an officer gets shot.

thoughts ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6muGwZGN3JU
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:41 am

Steve James wrote:Btw, fwiw, I would never wear a shirt saying Black Lives Matter any more than I'd carry a sign reading "I Am a Man." The first should be obvious to anyone, and if it's not, there's no point in wearing a shirt. Carrying the sign would be humiliating. It suggests that I'm giving the observer the option to deny my humanity. Jmho.

I like that logic.
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:45 am

windwalker wrote:

That dude is all over the place.
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:40 am

windwalker wrote:

thoughts ?

At 7:40, for the second or third time, Sheriff from Wisconsin goes back to the "black on black" crime idea. The video I posted last week from Young Turks quoted the Washington Post and said black on black crime (don't recall which kind) was 90% and white on white was 82%. Obviously, people commit a lot of violent crimes close to where they live and if they live in neighborhoods with the same group, then you get this high frequency. However, the black on black crime statement is an attempt to prove falsely that blacks are inherently more violent, and therefore is a justification for using violence or aggression against them when policing. It doesn't stand up to the basic logic that Steve and others have explained.

Why is there any crime in places without blacks? is one question that reveals this fallacy. Another is that there is always crime in society, at both ends of the class spectrum, so-called white collar and violent crime, and it doesn't happen because of the race of the people who are in those places, it happens for other reasons that at the lower end of the class spectrum are because of poverty, lack of jobs, etc. It's not an excuse, but it's an explanation that has nothing to do with race.

The appeal for sympathy the Sheriff makes claiming that police officers are the only group of people in the ENTIRE USA who care about protecting black people is incorrect. The police do that, as well as other groups, but the point of the complaints that the Sheriff is counter-complaining is about police misconduct, which is documented. Is it exaggerated? Is it hyped by the Democrats to get votes? That's another topic.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:21 am

The appeal for sympathy the Sheriff makes claiming that police officers are the only group of people in the ENTIRE USA who care about protecting black people is incorrect.

Well, there are several ironies in his statements. But, first off is that he's Black. So, I doubt that he's saying Black lives don't matter when he criticizes "Black Lives Matter." That criticism is directed rightly at people who attack or kill police officers. If there is an organization with that name whose members target police officers, all that's really needed is infiltration --- by Black police officers!

It's part of the irony when he says "Blue Lives Matter" too. Obviously, if they're Black police officers, they believe their lives matter whether or not they have on their uniforms. Of course, the Blues Lives Matter quote got the whole audience standing. So, for the interested, and I'm sure that there'll be a youtube video with another pov, there's a reason why people find "Black Lives Matter" threatening, and needs to be countered with All Lives Matter; but, "Blue Lives Matter" receives a standing ovation.

Note how many people want to classify BLM as a hate and terrorist group; and then they compare it to the KKK, who've been selling White stuff for a century and a half. So, the actions or the avowed intent of the KKK and its members are equated to the acts and intents of whoever "belongs" to BLM --because people know what the KKK wants. However, the US is post-racial now, and one candidate was even asked to disavow support from the KKK. "Blue lives" is something everybody can go for without being racist, especially when spoken by a police officer. That Black lives would matter is terrifying to some.

Whoever argues that a police officer's life doesn't matter is a fool. That doesn't end with police officers, though. And, their lives don't matter because they're police officers. Nobody's life matters less, and there isn't anyone qualified to determine one way or the other, and no one is required to listen to that determination.

Anyway, again, black on black crime will be solved once white on white crime is solved, and then we can share the secret with the yellows, browns and others. It's also true that poor whites have a higher crime rate than rich ones. So, maybe economics might have something to do with it. Otoh, the crime rate among rich whites in America is astronomically higher than the rate of rich whites in Europe. (Hint, that last was just hyperbole). Then again, Italians and Irish areas used to be more crime ridden, just not street crime. I dunno. "White" seems such a limited concept. In the South, they used to argue that "mixed race" ("mongrel") people were the most crime prone. Watch "Birth of a Nation" (1915), not the one coming up about Nat Turner's Revolt.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:05 pm

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:04 pm

That was a pretty vicious looking toy truck, tho. It could probably transform into a fire engine or something even more dangerous, like a mango.

Did the cop say I dunno. Or did he say I. Don't. Know. ?
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:02 am

All I know is that all lives have always mattered, just some more than others.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:17 am

Steve, do you remember that youtube vid that showed a solo performance of a black stewardess making a long analogy between flying and the slave trade? I can't get the right search terms to find it.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:55 am

:) Sure, "Git on board."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kjzwukWUco

(Use "The Colored Museum" by George C. Wolfe. The other "exhibits" are also good.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic