Article on sun and cancer

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Article on sun and cancer

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:17 am

Steve James wrote:People with lighter skin can obtain their vitamin d more easily from sunlight.

To get the daily amount of D-vitamin necessary, you only need to be outside in the sun 20 minutes a day with uncovered face and arms.
But when people go out to burn themselves, they are usually fully covered from the time they go out to the time they get in. You need to expose your skin to sunlight to get it.

The simple solution is simply not to use it and see what happens. People are encouraged to use it, but aren't forced to.

My wife is working in the university studying the effects of sunscreen. There is none of the teachers or professors there who use sunscreen. That should say a lot as, you know, they've spent studying these things for years and understand what happens when you wear it. After learning more about this, I won't let my kid wear sunscreen either. There are absolutely no benefits, but there are some risks.

Especially for kids there is a risk for developing contact allergy. Using non-perfumed protection doesn't help. The active substances can also cause allergy. Today, the exposure of allergens is vastly more than just 15-20 years ago. Allergens are to be found in clothes, toys and many things around us. So it's necessary to be extra careful nowadays.

Peacedog wrote: So, I think it is all a balancing act. Too much or too little yields problems.

The problem is that the better production, i.e. the higher amount of SPF and Stars, the longer time and the greater effect the damage is to the skin. In the beginning of use, the active protecting substances protect from the sun, but as the UV filter breaks down and the damaging effect from UV light affect substances directly inside of the skin which creates poison. If you use Sunscreen badly, you'll get less poison into your body from it, you might get burnt which is damaging to the DNA. If you use it properly, the sunscreen will act even more as DNA damaging and hormone disturbing poison.

Sunscreen definitely preserves skin quality from what I've seen.

What especially women need is moisture. Drying it up by lying in the sun doesn't help. Sunscreen prevents drying a little bit, but not much. Good quality day creams though will help preserving moist in the skin. Cheap creams won't help much either. But good creams and staying away from staying too long in the sun are the best ways for women to preserve the skin.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:43 am

Bao wrote:What especially women need is moisture. Drying it up by lying in the sun doesn't help. Sunscreen prevents drying a little bit, but not much. Good quality day creams though will help preserving moist in the skin. Cheap creams won't help much either. But good creams and staying away from staying too long in the sun are the best ways for women to preserve the skin.

There has been a study of day and night cremes, commissioned by a consumer magazine in Germany, that found most of the expensive products to be unsatisfactory or even harmful, whereas discounter creams from Aldi came out on top. The price is not an indicator for quality.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:06 am

cdobe wrote:There has been a study of day and night cremes, commissioned by a consumer magazine in Germany, that found most of the expensive products to be unsatisfactory or even harmful, whereas discounter creams from Aldi came out on top. The price is not an indicator for quality.

No, not the price itself, but the brand often is. The big producers spend a lot of money on research, especially on safety. They are more aware about potential risks than the small companies. For instance, for about five years ago different fragrances were forbidden to use in the EU. Long before this, a couple of the big manufacturers had already changed their recipes and none of these were in use. Other small companies faced trouble. Alos, small companies often buy their fragrances and other compounds from other companies, so they have less control. So for safety reasons, I trust the bigger companies more.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:03 pm

This is the study:

Myerson , A., and Neustadt, R., 'Influence of Ultraviolet Irradiation upon Excretion of Sex Hormones In The Male', Endocrinology: 25; 7, 1939
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:58 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:45 pm

I may just own a pair of these tan through shorts...

http://www.cooltan.com/mob-mens-boardshorts.htm
Peacedog
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic