The China Thread

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The China Thread

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:56 am

Baby stroller. Escalator. China. No fatalities, no visible blood, unlike last summer when people were getting etten by escalators daily.

http://www.miaopai.com/show/coc-r9RH5bQzacAdUpvRyg__.htm
Michael

Re: The China Thread

Postby Trick on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:50 am

Now it's the tigers
Trick

Postby gzregorz on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:29 am

Michael wrote:Baby stroller. Escalator. China. No fatalities, no visible blood, unlike last summer when people were getting etten by escalators daily.

F*** escalators and elevators!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLKCQlik05U
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby onebir on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:27 am

I caught a heel in a London Underground escalator years back. Popped a panel out of the step, leaving a hole big enough to take a leg. It was rush hour & an attendant - probably stationed there because they knew that one wasn't quite right - hit the emergency stop in about a second.

However someone was killed (crushed in the doors) in a lift in a high-end gym in London not so long ago, so it's not a purely Chinese problem.
Last edited by onebir on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insanity is repeating a nonsensical definition of insanity, and expecting it to eventually make sense.
onebir
Anjing

Postby Michael on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:01 am

onebir wrote:However someone was killed (crushed in the doors) in a lift in a high-end gym in London not so long ago, so it's not a purely Chinese problem.

Yeah, it happens all over, but last summer seemed like there was an escalator incident every few days over here.
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Two young local women cut in line and a foreigner asks them politely to wait in line, first in Mandarin, so the local gal replies in the local dialect, unexpectedly the foreigner responds in the same local dialect, so the woman then speaks in some Northeast dialect, to which the foreigner has no problem replying in as well, so she finally pulls her friend away with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xncKdUr-o

An article about it.
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:49 pm

This advertisement might provide context to additional loss of face for the culprits in the previous line cutting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UykyiKczbw
Michael

Postby Steve James on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Michael wrote:Two young local women cut in line and a foreigner asks them politely to wait in line, first in Mandarin, so the local gal replies in the local dialect, unexpectedly the foreigner responds in the same local dialect, so the woman then speaks in some Northeast dialect, to which the foreigner has no problem replying in as well, so she finally pulls her friend away with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xncKdUr-o

An article about it.

Ah f..k, who is the guy? There must be a great back story.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:40 pm

As far as I know, he is just a random dude and was never identified online. A Chinese media outlet of course identified him as a black foreigner (黑人老外), and people tend to self-identify a lot in China as "American Joe in China" or "Irish Collin in China", so being a black foreigner in China is a thing for some people. This multi-lingual man probably has better things to do than maintain an online presence in the sea of foreigners telling their same-samey China story, so I don't expect to ever find out what he was doing in Wuhan or where he's from. If I had to guess, he's not American.

One of the better known of those is Randy Flagg of China Ratchet, out of Chicago. He's got one of those rambling youtube channels called Loser Laowai* in China, but if you can parse it you find his typical back story, he's recently married a local and had a child, etc. He's just published an ebook called the American Nightmare and also has a video about the 10 reasons he prefers China to the USA, which is a long list of inaccuracies of his perspective ("There's no drugs in China" lol), but whatever, he tells it as he sees it.

*Laowai 老外 is a colloquial Chinese term for foreigner that's quite common. It sits in the middle ground of Chinese epithets for non-Chinese, a bit nicer than white/black devil 白/黑 鬼 bai gui or hei gui , not as polite as foreign person 外国人 wai guo ren, and less friendly than foreign friend 外国朋友 waiguo pengyou, which is what I say to kids when I hear them call me laowai or gweilo, the Cantonese version of foreign devil.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:47 pm

It's probably Vadaga.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:50 pm

In the past few days a video was published in Miaopai and The Daily Mail, which showed a black man on the subway slapping a Chinese and the audio had him scolding the young man for something he said, then threatening to take him to the police, which made no sense. The article with the vid was full of incorrect speculation about the reason for the slap. It said the Chinese had called the foreigner a black devil. At a time of heightened nationalist tensions, it seemed really odd that a foreigner would do something like that and not get grabbed by locals and held for the police, which would be likely to have also been captured on video, along with tons of vids over the years of foreigners blowing their cool on public transport.

A day or two later, the less edited version of showed up where you can see the foreigner recover his phone and it turned out he slapped the guy because he tried to steal his phone and had nothing to do with racial slurs. It's likely the reason for the local guy to show so much pain at being slapped is in order to appear pitiful so he wouldn't get jumped by a mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyYKsa90HP0
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:51 pm

grzegorz wrote:It's probably Vadaga.

;)
Michael

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:19 am

In a country that is mentioned here, there's a very special combination of using cheap materials together with workers who don't think and take no responsibility because there's always someone higher up who should think and take responsibility but doesn't because there's someone even higher up that should but don't. ::)

Experts have come to the conclusion that all new buildings as apartments built now and for the last ten, fifteen years will in general last for about 30 years. Then they will be unhabitable, unusable, useless. The incredible bad quality is one main reason why many people have stopped buying apartments.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Michael wrote:
*Laowai 老外 is a colloquial Chinese term for foreigner that's quite common. It sits in the middle ground of Chinese epithets for non-Chinese, a bit nicer than white/black devil 白/黑 鬼 bai gui or hei gui , not as polite as foreign person 外国人 wai guo ren, and less friendly than foreign friend 外国朋友 waiguo pengyou, which is what I say to kids when I hear them call me laowai or gweilo, the Cantonese version of foreign devil.

I actually prefer gwailo to laowai... hate the latter as 1) it pays lip service to politeness but the way people say it... doesn't seem polite to me... there's always a submerged adjective hovering just out of reach whether it's 死 or 笨 or 蠢 or what have you... but call people out on it its like nonono the 'lao' is for respect, um thanks but no thanks I didnt fall off the tomato truck yesterday 2)moreover the phenomenon of hearing it in places other than China...it's like nonono we're in [country other than China] now. It's like if I went to France and called all the French people foreigners... where is the sense...

here by request of gzregorz
Last edited by vadaga on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Michael wrote:This advertisement might provide context to additional loss of face for the culprits in the previous line cutting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UykyiKczbw

Holy Cannoli!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic