Scooter license Thailand

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Scooter license Thailand

Postby Peacedog on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:12 pm

For anyone planning on visiting Thailand...

As part of their, very popular, continuing crackdown on law and order issues the Thai police are now enforcing the need for a Thai, or international, drivers license for operating a scooter. Fines are currently 400 baht per incident. So, if you have a license at home make sure to get the international one before coming to Thailand.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Re: Scooter license Thailand

Postby Michael on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:18 am

Good to know.

They been cracking down on motorbikes on the outskirts of Guangzhou lately and mine almost got confiscated, but the copper let me slide since I was on the way to move the bike out of town anyway.
Michael

Postby Peacedog on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:53 am

Good to know on your end as well.

Frankly, while annoying personally, it is just a part of Thailand's continuing movement from third world to second world status. Which is positive progress for them.

For those on the board who haven't witnessed it first hand, the development in the country over the last 15 years, or so, has been truly remarkable. It has gone from a place where child prostitution was openly accepted to having some of the higher enforcement rates for visas and being known for its protection of animal well being in the region.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:56 am

The military are getting very aggressive on drunk drivers, earlier this year we were stopped by police [fully armed]on the way back from the airport , apparently this is not unusual. Didn't see much police presence in town [Phuket] and locals still ride three on a scooter .
KEND
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:58 am

@peacedog,

wondering if they upped the public schooling from 9th grade to 12th grade.

had a 400cc yamaha cafe style bike when I live there.....got rid of it after
almost meeting my end on a twisty back road ;)

My co workers "locals" advised me to make a copy of my lic so that if they asked for this one could give this to them
instead of the real one....If one did get a ticket a few bhat under the lic as it was given to the officer would
help it to go away....

Very much enjoyed Thailand, lots of temples,,,spirit houses even in the high teach companies
they had one out front.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:13 am

Windwalker,

I'll need to ask about the upgraded school requirements. But it seems likely.

Kudos on surviving your motorcycle riding days. As much as I like the country, my happiest moment is when I turn the scooter in at the end of each trip.

Right now a 150/PCX is about as small as you want to go these days even in northern Thailand. And in another 10 years it will only safe to drive a car outside rural areas. Big change from the early 2000s when all you saw were 100cc bikes on the highway with the odd military truck.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:24 am

Peacedog wrote:Windwalker,

I'll need to ask about the upgraded school requirements. But it seems likely.

Kudos on surviving your motorcycle riding days. As much as I like the country, my happiest moment is when I turn the scooter in at the end of each trip.

Right now a 150/PCX is about as small as you want to go these days even in northern Thailand. And in another 10 years it will only safe to drive a car outside rural areas. Big change from the early 2000s when all you saw were 100cc bikes on the highway with the odd military truck.

wow it does seem different used to live there in early 2000s.

In Bangkok they had motorcycle taxis,,could be very exciting at times :o
I want to say they where 175cc but not sure, it was a while back.

When they where building the sky train. A hug slab of concert fell crushing a taxi killing the driver.
His family only got around 10k US, from the company building it.

My company had to apply for work permit for me to work there ...very interesting process at the time.
Each month I had to go back and get it updated until it was approved paying money each time.
At the end of 6 months it was approved starting from the fist month of the application processes
which effectively meant it was only good for 6 months ;)

We used to have lunches on a restaurant on the chao phraya river, very cool, good food,
like something out of the movies.

Land of smiles.... :)

speaking of scooters

I always considered Taiwan to be scooter heaven,,,,
They have every kind of scooter one could think about,,,kinda cool ;)
https://nomad-notions.com/2013/12/20/10 ... in-taiwan/

Some one mentioned that in Thailand they had a rule about wheel size, this resulted in the small motor cycles being used there as opposed to scooters.
They did have have some big bikes owned by some of the more affluent Thais.

Last edited by windwalker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:42 am

Dominic Le Croissette has spent many weeks touring the north-west of Thailand by motorcycle, on bikes ranging from a 100cc Honda Dream to a 650cc Kawasaki Ninja and almost everything in between. He currently lives in Taiwan, where he spends his free time exploring the island on his Kawasaki Ninja. You can check out more of his adventures on his blog BirdingAroundTaiwan.com

https://nomad-notions.com/2013/12/20/10 ... in-taiwan/

nice site
windwalker
Wuji

Postby chud on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:21 am

Man, that was hilarious (and informative) reading!
chud
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:21 am

Can't wait to check out Thailand and Chiang Mai for the first time. I prefer scooters in these small engine sizes.
Last edited by Michael on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby yeniseri on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Thailand has come a long way!
I remember parts of it looking like villages in the Phillipines around 25 years ago. Now it is a big metropolis just like the New Malaysia
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic