3rd degree burn

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

3rd degree burn

Postby meeks on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:08 am

So I was at a trade show in Toronto the last weekend of October. The booth across from us was a shiatsu clinic, and on the last day of the show I went their for a massage. they used hot stones that had been heated up in an electric wok full of hot water and then wrapped them in towels. Long story short, I received a 3rd degree burn just beneath my calf muscle, from a hot rock being placed there to elevate the legs and 'relax the muscles'.

I went to a plastic surgeon's today to determine whether or not I need a skin graft. He said he normally would but because of the location being to 'mobile' it wouldn't 'take' so I need to wait another couple of months for it to fully heal. They did a debrievement (cutting off the cooked tissue with a knife or cutter to allow the new skin to grow over the wound) and sent me home (this was at about 12:30pm). They used about 5 or 6 injections with a needle to numb the area - ever had a needle inserted into a 3rd degree burn? The patients in the waiting area could hear me swearing in pain.

So the freezing wore off around 10 after 4 in the afternoon. I know from having this burn the last 3.5 weeks that this kind of pain was going to keep me up at night so I called my family doctor to get a prescription for painkillers (something I never really use if at all possible) and they closed at 4, telling me to call in the morning. So I took some Ibuprofen instead. Seemed to work (too 2 pills at 200mg each) but it suddenly wore off about 930pm. I called the local pharmacy and explained my situation with the pain. They recommended Tylenol with codeine (over the counter, no prescription strength) instead of Ibuprofen. So I took 2 more Ibuprofens and went to the pharmacy to buy the tylenol with codeine. Didn't take the tylenol since the Ibuprofen had dulled the pain.

Well - woke up at 315 in excrutiating pain! took 1 tylenol. laid there in bed tossing and turning waiting for it to kick in. at 340 I took another. restless, agitated from the pain, feel like I'm sweating from the stress of it.at 4:10am I realized my hands were numb from the pills but made no effect whatsoever on the pain in my leg - I said 'screw these' and took an Ibuprofen. REALLY agitated from the pain for the last hour. 430am I took a 2nd Ibuprofen....now it's 5am, just took a 3rd Ibuprofen and am hoping this will start to ease the sharp, cutting pain I am experiencing. I can't go to emergency at the hospital to get some real pain medication because my wife and baby are sleeping in the next room - I can't abandon them to drive to the hospital in case my wife needs me to help with the baby and I'm not about to wake them up and pack them along - baby doesn't sleep well at night (waked hourly) and my wife is just exhausted.

the burn is 6cm by 3cm - that's about 2.5 inches by 1.2 inches. It's been 3.5 weeks now and I eat Ibuprofen like Pez candies because of this. I'm really f***ing pissed now, having to suffer this f***ing pain like this.

I left a link to the pics for those that want to see what a 3rd degree burn looks like...I am not posting it in this thread so you actually CHOOSE to view these - not for the squeamish!

this one is from 1 week after the trade show:
http://www.pricksofthetrade.com/images/features/DSC01183.jpg

this one is from yesterday:
http://www.pricksofthetrade.com/images/features/DSC01431.jpg

any advice for effective pain management?

PS - I nominate these pics for the EF 'most disgusting pic of 2008' awards that we usually do in December
Last edited by meeks on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Re: 3rd degree burn

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:31 am

Dave, sorry to hear about your bad luck there. Sounds like you're keeping your cool and I hope you get some pain relief. The pictures are gnarly, but actually not as bad as I expected. Never had any bad burns, but lots of road rash, so maybe I'm used to seeing stuff like that.
Michael

Postby FigureFour on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:32 am

if youre that serious about getting rid of the pain and cant get a serious prescription any time soon then there is another option that falls into a legal grey area. using cold water you can separate the tylenol part of the tylenol and codeine from your pills and then consume a larger dose of codeine without fearing the liver damage that overdosing on tylenol would do. i wont go into how to actually do it and dosing, but im sure 5 minutes of google would help you out.

in the future id say take a course in vipassna (obviously not gonna help you right now). very effective for pain management, itching (as in allergic reactions), and keeping your cool when youre really pissed.
FigureFour
Santi

Postby cdobe on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:40 am

I feel very sorry for you and hope you recover well.
I also hope you get a good financial compensation for all that you have to suffer from this.

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:46 am

That sucks.. I hate unregulated health care...lets go there and kick there door in.

pm Chris McKinney...he has got some wicked ass hypnosis techniques. Find an acupuncturist to do a nevre block...Not sure who in BC to refer you too??

The other trick is see an Osteopath and release the surronnding skin and fascia to take the slack off the scar..(decrease pressure through the scar)

Third your MD should give you some NuSkin to keep the area cool.

The plastic surgeon I use to work with just use to rub sterile Petroleum Jelly on gauze place it gently over the scar tape it exteriorly for about 3 weeks.

Please take care these infect very easy.
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:04 am

meeks:

The very best treatment for severe burns that I have ever used is a Homeopathic Medicine, KALI MURIATICUM 6X HPUS. I have used it successfully many times to treat 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my own body, on my kids, and on clinic patients. These are available without a prescription from several reputable manufacturers including Boiron, Boericke & Tafel, and Hyland's, among many brands, available either in soft tablet form or in pellet form. These are taken orally to dissolve under the tongue as directed on the label. Here's an example of each form:

Image Image Image

As a case in point, on a wilderness camping trip with the family, one of my young children tripped while running near the campfire and fell forward into a large bed of red hot coals, receiving multiple 3rd degree burns on the palm of one hand and the adjoining wrist and forearm. We were nearly 100 miles from the nearest small town hospital at the time, so I soaked the burned arm and hand in ice water and administered doses of KALI MURIATICUM 6X HPUS until we reached the hospital, where an anti-biotic burn cream (silver sulphadiazine) was applied with bandages. I continued to administer doses of Kali Muriaticum 6X regularly until we visited our Family Practice Physician back home three days later. He was very surprised to discover that most of the burns had healed by 75% or more during only three days time, and stated that this couldn't possibly be due to daily applications of the silver sulphadiazine cream and bandage changes alone. He and his staff were so impressed by this Homeopathic Kali Muriaticum medicine that he now recommends it for all of his burn patients as a normal course.

My kid's burns healed without any scars whatsoever, and I have repeatedly seen the same results with others. 8-)

Check it out! Good luck, and get well soon!

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 am

holy shit dude that's messed up. did you mention to them while you were getting your massage that perhaps the stones were a little warm?

hope you feel better soon! maybe you could try switching over to those organic painkillers BC is famous for....

sweet jesus i just saw the pics. that's fucking gross!

did you sue them yet?
Last edited by I-mon on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:26 am

shiatsu = sucks. Freakin hippies! At least with Reiki they don't actually touch you so their quack medicine can't do you any harm :)

I'm also quite interested to know if you left the stones on and didn't realise they were burning you - or if you swore and went 'what the fuck was that!' immediately.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:58 am

Doc's recommendation of Kali Muriaticum 6X sounds great and definitely worth checking out - I know I will. My own experience with silver sulphadiazine cream by itself on burns has been tremendous. Earlier this year I received a nasty 2nd degree burn on the top of my hand which I was treating by myself with aloe and triple antibiotic ointment. During a fight at the club the burn got all scraped up and the skin and blisters torn. Fortunately the next day a woman I know who is a doctor (an ob/gyn who I now call my gynecologist) saw my hand and recommended silver sulphadiazine. The improvement was fast and spectacular and consequently I have no scarring just a barely perceptible darkening of the area that was burned. This past Saturday night one of the bartenders at the club was burned by splattering hot oil in a kitchen accident from her shoulder to her forearm prior to my arrival. She didn't want to go to the ER and lose a night's income so she smeared butter all over her arm which one should never do. When I got to the club and saw her arm I had her wash off the butter and apply the silver sulphadiazine (left over from my experience) which I kept with bandages etc, in my car. Within 2 hours the appearance of her arm was markedly improved.
Last edited by dragontigerpalm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:19 am

wtf?

who's treating you man? that thing should be near healed after this amount of time.

why is there still so much pus?
why were you injected without drops of anesthetic on the surface first?

It doesn't look like it's being kept clean properly or disinfected regularly.

You need someone to help you with this and toe be aggressive with the treatment.
Gangrene can set into a wound like that with relative ease.

Also, sue the shit out of the hot stone massage place. Get these fuckin yahoos off the scene. I personally am disappointed in the weak political will of our government when it comes to these types of practices. They should be strictly regulated like any medicinal outlet and not be allowed to just spring up.

Holistic stuff for the most part is hippy dippy shit. Very, very, extremely few natural healers of any merit whatsoever. Seriously flawed system of education associated with much of it at the root. Most should stick to nutritional advice and regular massage.

This kind of stuff just pisses me off too.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:15 am

get better, meeks
fuga
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:25 am

I agree with Darth. You should be nearly healed. It doesnt look any smaller, and kinda looks worse.

Sue the shit outta those people. It takes an idiot to put a rock on someone that hot enough to give a third degree burn.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:13 am

Damn, sorry to hear about this man. I hope you get it taken care of soon. Be well bro...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:45 pm

ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory as well as an analgesic. i normally take 800 mg of ibuprofen when i have trouble with my back or whatever. if you are taking 200-400 mg, it's every 6 hrs. if taking 600-800, it's every 8 hours.
BE CAREFUL: ibuprofen can have some nasty gastric side effects with some people, so make sure to take it with food or milk. also, some say it can be damaging to the kidneys if you take too much. caveat emptor.
if you can get your hand on some silvadene cream, that's good for the burn.
as others have said, KEEP IT CLEAN. a good antibacterial liquid soap and water should be good. showers, not baths, as the running water will help debride the wound somewhat.
these can make pretty thick scars, which can inturn impede the normal mobility of the skin due to the hardness and thickness of the scar tissue, so after you're all healed up, you can try one of the various scar softening products that are available over he counter, or see a plastic surgeon who may be able to prescribe something.
also, ask your doc if a course of antibiotics might be good for it.
and one more thing about the silvadene cream--it can make the wound look like it's making a bunch of pus, so don't get freaked out about that.
hope you feel better soon...
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:06 pm

hey dude, are you gonna sue the hell out of that shiatsu clinic? I mean, 3rd degree burns smell like cooked meat right? they knew they burned you after they finished treating you, I'm guessing?

sorry about the wound man. try to see a good TCMD wherever you are, man... acupuncture works wonders. as does some good herbal treatments on the wound, and ingested.
Last edited by nianfong on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Next

Return to Off the Topic