3rd degree burn

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: 3rd degree burn

Postby meeks on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:06 pm

I've been using Flamazine (Silver Sulfadiazine Cream) by prescription for the last 3 weeks. I also did a run of some kind of antibiotic. The 'green' is actually the cooked flesh come to the surface - they cut all that off yesterday since the new skin can't grow over that. I might need to do that a couple of times during the next 3 months. it actually had a texture of melted plastic that has cooled and hardened.

I got a prescription from my doctor for Tylenol 3s but that really barely masks the pain - I can still feel 'needles biting into the perimeter' kind of pain through the body-buzz of the codeine and it's seriously uncomfortable. I might go back and request something stronger because I can tell tonight's going to be another long night when that stuff wears off in my sleep (it only holds for about 3 -4 hours). I was advised by the Doctor to do (2) tylenols every 6 hours and 2 ibuprofen/advils every 6 hours 'on the 3 hour mark' (in the middle) of the codeine.

I've had pain in my days - I think a toothache can be the most debilitating, but this has gone from:
week 1 - feels like someone hit me with a sledgehammer in the back of the calve
week 2 - feels like a ball peen hammer hit me, combined with knife cuts rubbed with salt
week 3 - feels like I'm being eaten alive by some creature with needles for teeth, continuously chewing on my leg

this is keeping me up at night, I usually wake 2x a night for the last 3 weeks from the pain. on some nights it's so bad it keeps me awake until morning. I'm very interested in KALI MURIATICUM and will see if it can be purchased locally.
Right now I'm wearing a mesh wound cover that's impregnated with antibiotics (put it on after the debrievement) and need to keep it on until Friday. I don't even want to know what the crater's going to look like at that time (they cut out the cooked flesh) but I'll be sure to photograph it for documentation. I might have found a lawyer in Toronto (I live in Vancouver) to handle this for me.
Last edited by meeks on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby qiphlow on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:15 pm

ya know what would feel really good? to dump a shitload of red-hot stones on the shiatsu "practitioner" that cooked your leg for you.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:21 pm

I know you gotta control the pain, but considering what qiphlow said, that ibuprofen might be bad for the kidneys, this could be why the skin isn't healing quickly. My experience has been that weakening the liver via alcohol consumption puts a burden on the kidneys via the Chinese Five Elemental Processes (wu xing sheng ke qi), which prevents or greatly slows the process of healing wounds to the skin.
Michael

Postby edededed on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Damn, that really sucks - what kind of crappy shiatsu clinic was that?!?!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby jasonf on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:32 pm

I'm still a little confused about how it was able to burn you so badly before you said, "hey my leg is burning"? Was it steam coming up from the rock and just happed in a few seconds or did you do the whole massage and at the end realize?
jasonf
Huajing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:00 pm

well, i fell asleep in the sun once and sustained 3rd degree burns to 40% of my body. Blisters and wounds that looked like someone attacked me with a burning poker.
It was terrible. I can sympathize with you meeks. Very uncomfortable.

Dump the t3's though, they aren't strong enough it sound like.

ask for t4's or percodan. that kind of opiate power will put you under and you won't feel a damn thing.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Jake on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Man, I drink like a fish and take Advil and other things... like candy... Everyday...

Then again, I went to, and graduated, the Keith Richards school of rock.

Guess Jack Black never really taught you guys The Shit!!! ;D ;D ;D

LOL!
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

Postby zenman on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:36 pm

GrahamB wrote:shiatsu = sucks. Freakin hippies! At least with Reiki they don't actually touch you so their quack medicine can't do you any harm :)

I'm also quite interested to know if you left the stones on and didn't realise they were burning you - or if you swore and went 'what the fuck was that!' immediately.

I'm a Zen Shiatsu therapist (among other things) and hot stones are not a part of what we do. That's a more modern addition.
zenman
Anjing

Postby edededed on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:58 pm

I don't know much about shiatsu, but I don't think it is that old, is it?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:37 pm

Thanks Doc, for the info, I've taken arnica for bruising, works wonders, especially to get rid of black eyes, good to know about the kali. Homeopathics great when you know what does what, and if you remember to use it.

And somebody already mentioned the 'nerve block', would that help something like this?

Meeks, why aren't they giving you vicodin or maybe even oxys?

"Man, I drink like a fish and take Advil and other things... like candy... Everyday..."

Alcohol and acetaminophen/paracetemol(tylenol) is the real problem, besides feeling like you're living out a nightmare and walking blackouts, it causes severe liver damage and possible liver failure. I know a 26 year old guy who's a friend of our family, he's on the liver transplant list thanks to tylenol, he probably won't get one in time though.

You should think about getting some 'milk thistle', NAC, alpha lipoic acid, and some l-glutamine powder.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Methods on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:15 pm

This is horrible Meeks, man, I feel for ya buddy....that wound is one messed up m'fr to say the least.
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:49 pm

zenman wrote:
GrahamB wrote:shiatsu = sucks. Freakin hippies! At least with Reiki they don't actually touch you so their quack medicine can't do you any harm :)

I'm also quite interested to know if you left the stones on and didn't realise they were burning you - or if you swore and went 'what the fuck was that!' immediately.

I'm a Zen Shiatsu therapist (among other things) and hot stones are not a part of what we do. That's a more modern addition.

Ya freakin' hippy! ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:55 am

so I rushed back to the clinic before they closed today - got a prescription for percocet. Everyone I spoke to made jokes about how 'wrecked' I was going to be because it's a narcotic. But I have to admit - this is the first time since the burn that I feel absolutely no pain (although I get phantom waves of pain now and then in the leg) and yet I feel quite clear in the head (not drugged out). MY problem is that my body has a high metabolism for painkillers and breaks it down really fast. Like if I go to the dentist they usually have to give me another needle every 15-20 minutes.

Hopefully I don't get another 3am Iron Maiden torture coffin experience like last night. Wife knows what I went through last night though, so if it gets real bad it's okay for me to buzz up to the hospital emergency.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:49 am

those percs will hold you :) . Be careful not to inadvertently irritate the wound because it won't bother you as much and you can easily exacerbate the damage.

get well!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:44 am

meeks wrote:so I rushed back to the clinic before they closed today - got a prescription for percocet. Everyone I spoke to made jokes about how 'wrecked' I was going to be because it's a narcotic. But I have to admit - this is the first time since the burn that I feel absolutely no pain (although I get phantom waves of pain now and then in the leg) and yet I feel quite clear in the head (not drugged out). MY problem is that my body has a high metabolism for painkillers and breaks it down really fast. Like if I go to the dentist they usually have to give me another needle every 15-20 minutes.

Hopefully I don't get another 3am Iron Maiden torture coffin experience like last night. Wife knows what I went through last night though, so if it gets real bad it's okay for me to buzz up to the hospital emergency.

Opiates are only addicting if you take more than you need to get rid of the pain.

I have a high tolerance for most things, not sure if its due to my size or what but if I get a headache it takes 800mg of advil to even affect me. But I will only take a painkiller if its really bad and interfering with work.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic