Paralympics: 4 1500m runners finish faster than Rio

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Paralympics: 4 1500m runners finish faster than Rio

Postby Steve James on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:47 am

Gold medallist Abdellatif Baka finished 1.7 seconds faster than Olympic champion Matthew Centrowitz along with three other Paralympic athletes

A disabled middle-distance runner shattered the 1500m Paralympic world record after winning gold at the Rio Paralympic Games, beating Olympic champion Matthew Centrowitz by more than 1.7 seconds.

Abdellatif Baka of Algeria won the T13 1500m final on Monday night in a stunning performance that not only set a new Paralympic world record, but stands as the fastest 1500m time recorded by an able-bodied or disabled athlete in Rio over both the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Baka clinched gold in the T13 class where athletes suffer from visual impairment. There are two other classes for visually impaired athletes in the form of T11 and T12, with the lower numbers indicating a more severe impairment.

Baka crossed the line in a time of three minutes and 48.29 seconds to win gold, with American Olympic champion Centrowicz only managing three minutes and 50.00 seconds at the Olympic Games last month.

The feat was made all the more stunning given the fact that the second, third and fourth-placed finishers all recorded times faster than Centrowicz, meaning that four Paralympic athletes had run times fast enough to win gold had they competed in the Olympic Games.

The obvious question is what does disabled really mean ;)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Paralympics: 4 1500m runners finish faster than Rio

Postby David Boxen on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:43 am

A bit more analysis to show why the times for the two races can't be so easily superimposed:

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/paralympian-beats-1500m-olympic-timings-but-there-a-catch-3029976/
Last edited by David Boxen on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:10 pm

For me, the absolute timing is less significant than the fact that there is a comparison to be made. I agree with the point that the 1500m and longer distances are tactical, so absolute time is not the deciding factor. But, it's tactical for paralympians as well. The question of whether one of these four (or Baka) would win a race against Centrowitz is undetermined because of the nature of the race. That would be a great idea. Or, have them run the 1500 individually as a time trial.

Even so, when writers call them disabled, I wonder how "able" I really am.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:58 pm

Nope, not faster than Bolt, but how many can run 100m in under 11 seconds. Ok, he's only blind, but it's still impressive to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhrOrn_Fo-s
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic