A day of disaster

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

A day of disaster

Postby KEND on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:53 pm

In the UK after some promising weeks post brexit a day of disaster
1. May caved in to the Chinese and gave a go ahead for the first atomic power station in20 yrs, ensuring that at some stage the good folk of the SW will be irradiated
2 Bayer put in another bid for Monsanto, thus ensuring the demise of bees in Europe
We live in an age where the stupidity of politicians and the greed of businessmen has set the planet on a path way beyond the tipping point, even the smartest guy in the world has come to that conclusion.
KEND
Great Old One

Re: A day of disaster

Postby Michael on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:32 am

I can only guess that letting the Chinese build the HInckley plant is part of some larger deal made last October. They're building I think three plants in this part of China, so I guess I should hope for the best on all of them, but I fully expect to be irradiated sooner than later.
Michael

Postby GrahamB on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:47 am

There's no point arguing with people about it, because in a year or two it won't matter. Brexit is impossible to implement without crashing the economy.

So, either it won't get implemented, or we'll ruin the country. Tune back in a year's time to find out!

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:19 am

BREXIT is alive and kicking. I think that only time will tell if it was a right choice. Most of the disaster scenarios by 'experts' have been discounted. Each group with an agenda will present 'facts' or statistics to support their cause. Here is a sample from the other side, indicating that leaving a sinking [ship] Europe might be a good thing

IMF says EU on brink of collapse and 'untenable' Euro may have to be scrapped
The future of euro currency and the entire EU project looks unsustainable without major change, according to a damning review by the International Monetary Fund and renowned economists.
Brexit aftershocks: Who's next to leave the EU?
Wed, September 14, 2016
Britain has voted to leave the EU. So who's next? We look at which European countries want to hold their own EU referendum.
A top economist has said that Europe may have to abandon the euro
The IMF warned of economic chaos in the event of a Leave victory and has urged a “smooth transition” for post-EU Britain.
The international organisation said: “The euro area is at a critical juncture. Muddling through is increasingly untenable.
“Unless collective problems are solved, the euro area is likely to suffer repeated bouts of economic and political instability leading to crises of confidence and economic setbacks.”
The IMF has urged for a smooth transition post-Brexit
In the damning statement, it said the migrant crisis could even spell the end of free movement and warned that other countries in the bloc could want their own referendums following the Brexit vote.
A Nobel Prize winning economist even said that Europe may have to “abandon the euro”.
The economist, Professor Christopher Pissarides, has said that the uncertainty would reduce investment and hit job creation.
Without major change, the report states that the EU is unsustainable
His warnings came as:
* French bank Societe Generale analyst warned Italy and France could quit the single currency EU
* Rating agency Moody’s said the future of the entire EU was at risk
* Banks across Europe came under increasing stress
* The world’s biggest hotel group predicted that the fall in the pound would lead to a tourist boom for the UK.
But the IMF has also said that the outlook would be even worse if there are long, drawn-out negotiations between the UK and the EU.
Mahmood Pradhan, deputy director of the IMF's European Department, said: "If that risk aversion is prolonged, we think the growth impact could be larger and at this point, it is very difficult to tell how long that period lasts.”
The Washington-based fund highlighted the UK's importance as a trading partner for the EU as the destination for 13 per cent of EU exports.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:36 am

I don't buy the low pound-> tourism boom argument. Hotel and food prices in London are too high for that sort of thing and the rest of the country lacks big- name draws. I love the miniature railways, standing stones, and country pubs more than the next guy but somehow I don't see a wave of continentals wanting to head over for these things because while the pound might drop a bit the weather isn't gonna change...
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:52 pm

vadaga wrote:... I don't see a wave of continentals wanting to head over for these things because while the pound might drop a bit the weather isn't gonna change...

Are you denying the tourism benefits of climate change? ;D
Michael

Return to Off the Topic