The Parallels between Rome and the United States

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Parallels between Rome and the United States

Postby windwalker on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:55 pm

windwalker
Wuji

Re: The Parallels between Rome and the United States

Postby jimmy on Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:21 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:32 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:12 pm

“The fact that people can just gloss that over, start talking about the transition team, and we’re all going to be kumbaya now and try to make the country good without talking about any of those things. And now we see that he’s already backing off of immigration and Obamacare and other things, so was it a big fake, which makes you feel it’s even more disgusting and cynical that somebody would use that to get the base that fired up. To get elected. And what gets lost in the process are African Americans, and Hispanics, and women, and the gay population, not to mention the eighth grade developmental stage exhibited by him when he made fun of the handicapped person. I mean, come on. That’s what a seventh grade, eighth grade bully does. And he was elected president of the United States. We would have scolded our kids. We would have had discussions until we were blue in the face trying to get them to understand these things. He is in charge of our country. That’s disgusting.”
A reporter then interrupted him.
“I’m not done,” Popovich said. “One could go on and on, we didn’t make this stuff up. He’s angry at the media because they reported what he said and how he acted. That’s ironic to me. It makes no sense. So that’s my real fear, and that’s what gives me so much pause and makes me feel so badly that the country is willing to be that intolerant and not understand the empathy that’s necessary to understand other group’s situations. I’m a rich white guy, and I’m sick to my stomach thinking about it. I can’t imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person. How disenfranchised they might feel. And for anyone in those groups that voted for him, it’s just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all of that. My final conclusion is, my big fear is — we are Rome.”
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:38 am

i'm sorta ok with this...
after all, it's true...
i'm just a big fake, too...

maybe he has the good sense
that b-g gave him...
and we'll all live painlessly
as part of his mercantile agency...

or he might be assassinated
his desecrated office truncated...

either way, my loved ones will die
and so will i

Last edited by jimmy on Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:01 am

Rome?
sorry guys, -nope
you still have old imperial thinkin`:)
new numbers are as follow:
1 Hungary
2 Poland
3 US
rest of politicians around the world seems to go follow this populistic shitheads
and dark middle ages will cover whole planet :(
or Donald just play/ed/ dumb for winning the election ?
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:45 pm

I would say more like the last days of the Weimar Republic. After the swearing in, the shit is going to get real.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:00 pm

i'm sorta ok with this...
after all, it's true...
i'm just a big fake, too...

maybe he has the good sense
that b-g gave him...
and we'll all live painlessly
as part of his mercantile agency...

or he might be assassinated
his desecrated office truncated...

either way, my loved ones will die
and so will i

To be clear are calling for him to be assassinated or wishing it to be so?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:03 pm

It makes no sense. So that’s my real fear, and that’s what gives me so much pause and makes me feel so badly that the country is willing to be that intolerant and not understand the empathy that’s necessary to understand other group’s situations. I’m a rich white guy, and I’m sick to my stomach thinking about it. I can’t imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person. How disenfranchised they might feel. And for anyone in those groups that voted for him, it’s just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all of that. My final conclusion is, my big fear is — we are Rome.”

And for anyone in those groups that voted for him,

You mean like a little less then half the US... ::)

maybe ;)
CNN is now projecting that when all ballots are counted, Donald Trump will win the popular vote. Currently, Clinton is ahead by about 300,000 votes.

I wonder what excuse some will use then, after all the votes are counted. ::)

It makes no sense because you make no sense.
Your big "fear" is self generated, looks like it doesn't take much...

It's ok, you can come out of your safe space,
everything will be alright..
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:32 pm

When you have the mindset of empire building with thievery of, and from foreign nations and calling it your own, that parallel will always be present.
The chickens WILL come home to roost. The Bible says it ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:59 pm

So, I watched the video. It gets lots of things so wrong that it's funny. For example, that the Roman empire was started by people fleeing some sort of oppression and getting together to form a state. First off, it was called the "Roman" empire only because the founders (of myth) were those who founded the city of Rome (i.e., Romulus and Remus). The Romans conquered the rest of the other city-states in the region and beyond. Now, there's another myth about Rome being founded by people who fled from the sack of Troy.

Second, the Pilgrims who came to the English colonies in the US were not the first English colonists; nor were they seeking religious freedom. They were fleeing religious freedom, and the decadence they saw in Europe.

But, forget about the origins of the empire, it seems that the speaker wants to compare the creation of jobs to ... something in Rome. He brings up slavery and compares it to the jobs that foreign workers do in the US. Hold it there for a minute, though. Rome was a society built upon slavery until its fall. In fact, the Fall of the Roman Empire is often attributed to the fact that the Roman lifestyle was unsustainable. There are several theories that are probably all true. See http://www.history.com/news/history-lis ... -rome-fell

However, that's what made me watch the video in the first place. Rome fell. Why was Trump's face next to the dictator Caesar? The Romans were where Mussolini got the name "fascist." The connection is probably accidental, except to those who'll read it into their mythology.

Anyway, afa jobs, there are a bunch of Asian physicists, engineers and mathematicians. Let's see. And, unemployment is at 5%. If it goes down, everybody will be happy. Except, it also will depend on how much they're being paid and how much things cost. Hey, there was 100% employment for slaves. I'm waiting for the argument that it's ok for someone to choose to work for nothing.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:13 am

windwalker wrote:To be clear are (you) calling for him to be assassinated or wishing it to be so?

Absolutely not! Resident Rump has been so vehemently and irrationally reviled by his opposing camp that it seems like a fair bet some wingnut(s) might actually have designs on his life. Had the election swung the other way, I'm sure the same murderous vitriol would have been directed at Killary Klinton as well.
jimmy
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:51 am

Another good thing about Trump being in office is that he will NEVER carry out the platforms that got him there in the first place! HE will do his usual posturing but he will piss off enought of his his own that they might even call for his UnTrumpish resignation. And we know how people with guns react when you correct them with evidence. They shoot up the place then think afterwards. jus' saying
George Bush's 'No new taxes" is an oxymoron anyway so in this regard ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic