Science Delusion

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Science Delusion

Postby Dmitri on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:40 pm

The AI is in fetal stage of development, so at this point it's just mild amusement at best. True AI will not have human programmers coding it's answers and behavior
.. now that will be interesting.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:14 pm

The real question is not artificial intelligence, but artificial consciousness and, or, self-awareness. Will a machine consider itself an individual or part of all things mechanical? At what point will a machine ask for assistance without human intervention. At what point will a machine "want" something, and what would that be?

I'm not sure how to measure a computer's intelligence, as opposed to a human being. Yeah, it requires a programmer --who's more knowledgeable than 99% of the people who'll use the computer.

Btw, this is the whole Blade Runner or, more precisely, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and Westworld, of course. That's where philosophy or religion would come in. I mean, if a machine/computer/robot becomes fully self aware to the point where it can request not to be shut down, will it have rights? If the humans say no, will it act like a human? Will it be right to?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:22 pm

I think that it is a mistake to regard the scientific discoveries in isolation as the work of a single genius. It makes easy reading and gives the top scientists a priest [or god] like stature. Relativity came about as a result of continuing explanations, from thousands of years ago up through Newton, Maxwell [IMHO was up there with the best],the Michelson -Morley experiment and Lorentz [who actually thought of the idea of matter expanding and contracting at light speeds]. Later, when relativity didn't explain the very small, Planck, Bohr and oihers constructed quantum theory. The multi dimensional universe seems valid mathematically but we humans are stuck in this 4 dimensional universe [like Flatland was 3], unless ghosts are in another dimension we are unlikely to be able to apprehend it.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:48 pm

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

It will be interesting to see if this ever gets hard coded into what ever develops into AI.
At this juncture DARPA "Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency" seems to be the main driver
in a lot of the developments. Autonomous sentinels are the fist stage currently being developed and tested.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Mr_Wood on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:57 pm

I think that it is a mistake to regard the scientific discoveries in isolation as the work of a single genius

True but then there are the likes of Tesla who obviously had quite an extraordinary mind and deserves recognition.

True AI will not have human programmers coding it's answers and behavior

Yeah that would be crazy and who knows what bizarre programmes a computer might start writing for itself. A.I and self awareness/consciousness are quite different though, I don't believe a computer is capable of having a true consciousness as we do. I cant see how that is possible. A high level of A.I yes but true consciousness no.

The Bloomberg A.I talk was ethically wrong in my book. Im not particularly religious or anything but I think trying to re create a dead dudes personality in a computer is a bit screwed up and the woman admits it was screwing with her head and giving her nightmares. What I cant understand is why she then went and put this 'personality' online so others could have their heads screwed with too ?? what sort of thinking is this ? and then one woman (i think she was talking about herself as she was obviously in love with him whilst he was alive ), fell in love with this online personality .. Really ? All starting to sound like a dodgy 1980's sci fi film :p
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:36 pm

It will be interesting to see if this ever gets hard coded into what ever develops into AI

"Serve the public trust"
"Protect the innocent"
"Uphold the law"

;D
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:03 pm

The multi dimensional universe seems valid mathematically but we humans are stuck in this 4 dimensional universe [like Flatland was 3], unless ghosts are in another dimension we are unlikely to be able to apprehend

I can't remember where but I heard someone talking of the possibility that things like psychic ability, premonitions etc. could be some sort of teaser experience of our minds evolving. Like the very first stages of these senses developing.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:17 am

Driverless truck from Uber's Otto makes Colorado beer delivery

https://www.yahoo.com/news/driverless-t ... 40756.html
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:40 am

^^ AFAIK that's pretty far from AI; much more simplistic
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:08 am

W--interesting you should quote Asimov whose Robot and Foundation series [plus later works by other authors based on them] was all about the impact of AI on humankind. Pity the only movie version was the truly dreadful hollywoodised version of T Robot. The Terminator series was interesting though
KEND
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:49 am

Doolittle: Hello, Bomb? Are you with me?
Bomb #20: Of course.
Doolittle: Are you willing to entertain a few concepts?
Bomb #20: I am always receptive to suggestions.
Doolittle: Fine. Think about this then. How do you know you exist?
Bomb #20: Well, of course I exist.
Doolittle: But how do you know you exist?
Bomb #20: It is intuitively obvious.
Doolittle: Intuition is no proof. What concrete evidence do you have that you exist?
Bomb #20: Hmmmm... well... I think, therefore I am.
Doolittle: That's good. That's very good. But how do you know that anything else exists?
Bomb #20: My sensory apparatus reveals it to me. This is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h73PsFKtIck
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Mr_Wood on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:47 pm

windwalker wrote:
Doolittle: Hello, Bomb? Are you with me?
Bomb #20: Of course.
Doolittle: Are you willing to entertain a few concepts?
Bomb #20: I am always receptive to suggestions.
Doolittle: Fine. Think about this then. How do you know you exist?
Bomb #20: Well, of course I exist.
Doolittle: But how do you know you exist?
Bomb #20: It is intuitively obvious.
Doolittle: Intuition is no proof. What concrete evidence do you have that you exist?
Bomb #20: Hmmmm... well... I think, therefore I am.
Doolittle: That's good. That's very good. But how do you know that anything else exists?
Bomb #20: My sensory apparatus reveals it to me. This is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h73PsFKtIck

Loved that clip, gotta watch the whole film now.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic