Why don't we have cartoons like THIS anymore?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Why don't we have cartoons like THIS anymore?

Postby Royal Dragon on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:06 pm

Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Re: Why don't we have cartoons like THIS anymore?

Postby Dmitri on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:43 am

Excellent.

*edit*
P.S. Emailed to a friend of mine, and he replied with this:

Sad :(
And the sad part is that to the revolutionaries of the late 18th century this cartoon would sound totally like anti-freedom propaganda. But, of course, what would you expect after at least three contra-revolutions.

Most quoted and most misunderstood words:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

So if any of you think that I am some sort of a radical libertarian -- think again... I'm almost a communist, compared to this guy. :P ;D
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:39 am

why did that start with god save the queen?

The Americas... well, to be really fair, The USA and Canada in the Americas have been tremendous innovators in the development of the industrialized world.
But to be absolutely fair, in fact, the industrialization of the world as we know it, was dependent on the British model for it.
The bare bones of it all started in Britain other nations followed, including our own.

So what's my point with that statement?

If you take what that little piece of feel good propaganda is about, and look at it macroscopically, you see that you can apply those principles to the entirety of all industrialized nations, globalize, and the whole world and the whole of humanity can rise up together.

I think that's where we are ultimately headed either by further innovation or by some other wholly organic process that seems to be mapped into our DNA.
:)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Ok, well, as someone who grew up on these cartoons, I think it's interesting that no one has pointed out that although it's supposed to be about a huckster selling "ism", but it unabashedly tries to convince us of the benefits of capital"ism". It manages never to say that, or manages to mention "communism."

It claims to be pro-labor, and the worker's ability to strike, but is anti-union. Labor history in this country is not so happy. It claims to be pro-farmer, but its supporters would be against farm subsidies. Simply put, it's just Cold War propaganda from 1948 at the very beginning of the Communist witch hunts and blacklists. Yes, there actually were communists in the US at the time, for sure.

But, the question was, "Why don't we have cartoons like this any more?" Just look at the other cartoons from the period and you might see why. It's not 1948.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic