Images of my Region in China - Part Seven

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Images of my Region in China - Part Seven

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Part Six here (added a number of photos at the end): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24509&p=413817&sid=dddf5bee6c7b6dcb278370c74b532709#p413817

This was quite an eventful year, despite the road trips not being as epic as last year. Had some good adventures and came away with a lot of good photos before leaving Guilin and moving to the frigid Northeast, right up against the border with Siberia. Used a Fujifilm compact camera for several months in the winter to see if I could downsize, but the Canon just takes great photos and is worth hauling around.

The highlight this year was definitely when my wife and I almost ran into a massive king cobra (the way it elegantly glided across the road is something I will never forget) on the way back from a long trip and almost got into a fight with a large group of farmers that wanted to kill it and sell it for meat. Some of them were carrying farming tools and at least one was piss drunk. I started photographing their license plates (to send to the forestry department) with my phone and they chased after my wife and I. We hopped on my bike and I nearly kicked one in the face as we blew past them and got the Hell out of there!

Anyways, here are the photos:
(With the Fujifilm X30)
(Back to the Canon)
(See, even frogs and toads can have an inter-racial relationship..)
(View from my apartment in Guilin)
【Last ride on my bike... ;( 】
(And now in Jiamusi, Heilongjiang Province, where it has been below zero since the end of September and snowing since mid-October...)

Well, no more for now. Every time I go out these days my fingers and toes are in agony within minutes. That being said, as I write this a heavy snow storm is coming and I may try to get some more shots before I pack up for the year. Training has been brutal at -20+ C at five o'clock in the morning, but I'm still slaving away at least until there is a danger of frostbite. Hope you enjoyed the show.. 8-)

Also, for anyone coming to China to train or to travel, I highly recommend staying in the South or the West. There is just a lot more to see. Generally avoid 95% of the country in winter. In the South it's overcast or rainy and there is not heating (or insulation), so just miserable. In the North there is heating and the food is better, but there is a lot less to see and do, plus the pollution can be worse. Not where I live, but in most other places. Nothing to do here, though for five months out of the year. I'll be gone within a year, though, as we are waiting for my wife's visa. Still studying a bit of Gongfu and fighting with a group of boxers in a park.. ;D
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: Images of my Region in China - Part Seven

Postby willie on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:32 pm

cool!
willie

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:35 pm

willie wrote:cool!

Look again, was still adding photos just now.. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42 pm

amazing, how are you supporting your trip for so long?
willie

Postby willie on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:05 pm

oh, did you find any good baji out there?
Last edited by willie on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Mr_Wood on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:51 pm

but I'm still slaving away

looks tough, try to take it easy :p
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:51 pm

willie wrote:amazing, how are you supporting your trip for so long?

I've been teaching English (privately for many years now) and sometimes martial arts. Since I've lived here nine and a half years does it still count as a trip? :P

I looked at the video (VPN is strangely working today). It looks very fluid and the Doujin isn't bad. Is that you? I might suggest training it on a heavy bag. :)

Yes, I knew some Baji people in Guilin. Good stuff, but, as I was learning Xinyiliuhequan it didn't really offer me anything that I don't already have.

I used to train hard for over five hours a day, six days a week, outside in the heat or cold. These days it's more like three and a half, five days a week. I stopped training stuff that doesn't get my heart pumping. I felt that it was negatively impacting my cardio and thus sparring.

But fuck Gongfu. My real passion is for adventuring.. I'm feeling serious withdrawals here...
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:03 pm

Mr_Wood wrote:
but I'm still slaving away

looks tough, try to take it easy :p

I really wish that I was out there doing photography most of the time, but training can really suck all the life out of me, especially here. I leave the house at about 4:30 in the morning and have to walk in deep snow and howling wind, pitch darkness, to get there at about five. Doesn't get light until after seven, but it gets dark at four. If I'm not constantly moving my toes and fingers begin to freeze and no amount of clothes that I wear helps with that (And I wear many layers that I can take off and put back on). After several hours it doesn't matter how much I'm sweating anymore, my toes are done, so I've got to go back home and take a hot shower to thaw them.. :P

In Guilin I'd train six days a week in the mornings and go out on my motorbike for three afternoons or take a day off sometimes and drive upwards of five hundred kilometres. But it nearly killed me. Thank God I did it, though, because I unexpectedly had to leave and come to the North, leaving my master and most of the adventuring behind. It was worth it. I got most of the photos I wanted and "graduated" from my master. Now I'm bored here, but have a lot of time to put together my system with everything that I learned.. ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:59 am

MaartenSFS wrote:

I've been teaching English (privately for many years now) and sometimes martial arts. Since I've lived here nine and a half years does it still count as a trip? :P

I looked at the video (VPN is strangely working today). It looks very fluid and the Doujin isn't bad. Is that you? I might suggest training it on a heavy bag. :)

Yes, I knew some Baji people in Guilin. Good stuff, but, as I was learning Xinyiliuhequan it didn't really offer me anything that I don't already have.

I used to train hard for over five hours a day, six days a week, outside in the heat or cold. These days it's more like three and a half, five days a week. I stopped training stuff that doesn't get my heart pumping. I felt that it was negatively impacting my cardio and thus sparring.

But fuck Gongfu. My real passion is for adventuring.. I'm feeling serious withdrawals here...

haha!
The standard interpretation of a guy who still does and believes in the value of forms. I have years and years of heavy bag work.
I'm not offended though, I don't care. Anyways, I really enjoyed your photo's. Amazing adventure. your lucky.
Yes you are right about the cardio, it must be maintained separately.
Thanks
willie

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:21 am

MaartenSFS wrote:In Guilin I'd train six days a week in the mornings and go out on my motorbike for three afternoons or take a day off sometimes and drive upwards of five hundred kilometres. But it nearly killed me. Thank God I did it, though, because I unexpectedly had to leave and come to the North, leaving my master and most of the adventuring behind. It was worth it. I got most of the photos I wanted and "graduated" from my master. Now I'm bored here, but have a lot of time to put together my system with everything that I learned.. ;D

Nice story. Thank you for sharing. 8-) You should put together photos and stories from your adventures and publish a nice looking coffee table type of book. You are a gifted photographer, that book would sell.

Have you thought about it?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:32 am

The photos are awesome, thanks for sharing them. I particulalrly liked the wildlife shots of the bugs and frogs, very cool.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:59 am

willie wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:

haha!
The standard interpretation of a guy who still does and believes in the value of forms. I have years and years of heavy bag work.
I'm not offended though, I don't care. Anyways, I really enjoyed your photo's. Amazing adventure. your lucky.
Yes you are right about the cardio, it must be maintained separately.
Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean, but I spend very little time on forms. I train Doujin as well and find it practical to test it by hitting things (including faces). Last week I was training in the park after everyone else had gone. I man walked by and saw me kicking a tree. He said he practises it by kicking the air (Fajin). It looked powerful enough. I said that I do that as well and told him to try kicking the tree. He kicked and pushed himself backwards and almost fell. I train both ways. They are equally important. Not saying that you don't, though.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:00 am

Bao wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:In Guilin I'd train six days a week in the mornings and go out on my motorbike for three afternoons or take a day off sometimes and drive upwards of five hundred kilometres. But it nearly killed me. Thank God I did it, though, because I unexpectedly had to leave and come to the North, leaving my master and most of the adventuring behind. It was worth it. I got most of the photos I wanted and "graduated" from my master. Now I'm bored here, but have a lot of time to put together my system with everything that I learned.. ;D

Nice story. Thank you for sharing. 8-) You should put together photos and stories from your adventures and publish a nice looking coffee table type of book. You are a gifted photographer, that book would sell.

Have you thought about it?

I am absolutely doing that. Already started writing it. Thank you for your kind words. ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:04 am

cloudz wrote:The photos are awesome, thanks for sharing them. I particulalrly liked the wildlife shots of the bugs and frogs, very cool.

I regret not spending more time in the jungle and getting more shots like that. Another thing I sacrificed for martial arts.. Most of the cool creatures come out at night, though. After I was hospitalised for a week by a viper I decided to finish studying first and take less risks.. :-\
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:16 am

MaartenSFS wrote:I am absolutely doing that. Already started writing it. Thank you for your kind words. ;D

Great! Pls keep me updated! 8-)

Kind rgds,
David
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic