Would you take the one way trip to Mars?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Would you take the one way trip to Mars?

Postby Dmitri on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:39 am

Giles wrote:Colonization of Mars, for instance, will probably be successful just as much by changing humans to fit Mars as by changing Mars to fit humans.

True! Haven't thought about it from that perspective... Will definitely be the case, IMO.

But unless we also get our act more together as social beings, by dealing with our hard-wired (self)destructive traits in parallel to other developments, then I fear it will bring plenty new opportunities for war and genocide, too.

My hope is that eventually (after some very long time) evolutionary need for violence will gradually decrease, i.e. the hard-wiring you mention isn't set in stone. Genetic modification will probably play a HUGE role. If the main evolutionary objective is indeed "replication of (one's) genes" and continues to be so, the need for killing people could be replaced by the need to create enough of one's own genes without fear of their destruction... Could go some other direction though, who knows; pure speculation at this point, of course.

For instance, do smartphones and social media seem likely to result in any less aggression and destruction and in more happiness? Not yet, anyway.

:D
Well that would take a bit longer than a decade for it so even think about beginning to have some hint of an effect...
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:54 am

Dmitri wrote:My hope is that eventually (after some very long time) evolutionary need for violence will gradually decrease, i.e. the hard-wiring you mention isn't set in stone. Genetic modification will probably play a HUGE role. If the main evolutionary objective is indeed "replication of (one's) genes" and continues to be so, the need for killing people could be replaced by the need to create enough of one's own genes... Could go some other direction though. Pure speculation at this point, of course.

But a ray of hope nonetheless :) . Good to set off against the pessimism I sometimes feel here.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:06 am

Can you only volunteer yourself? I can think of a few people I'd like to recommend for a one way trip to Mars...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Well, it's all based on the premise that we can survive long enough to figure out how to continue to survive.

It's interesting to think of humans (as we understand it) adapting to a Mars environment. To me, that sounds like an evolutionary adaptation. There are living things now that could survive there or even if deep space. But, it might take a million years for a new human biology --needing much less air and water, and with the ability to withstand solar and cosmic radiation. Imo, it would take more than human adaptation. It would take converting the Mars environment itself. Not impossible, but not foreseeable either.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:52 pm

2ℵ0=ℵ1 wrote:
Dmitri wrote:
Giles wrote:By then, we’ll either have a galactic diaspora or we’ll be long extinct
pets who... hav(e) philosophical discussions among themselves and project (-)evolutionary possibilities of their species millions of years from then... :)
jimmy
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:00 pm

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic