Some basic info on nutrition, metabolism, etc.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Some basic info on nutrition, metabolism, etc.

Postby Dmitri on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:46 am

A friend sent me some links to a very nice CliffsNotes-style reference to the essentials of metabolism and related topics.

Reading it all in detail now -- this has got to be, by far, THE most clear, concise and yet comprehensive description of almost everything related to the topic. (And that's not an easy thing to do, given the extreme complexity of it.) Very impressed!

Highly recommended to the mere mortals like myself, who only have tangential knowledge of the subject; hope you enjoy!

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/protein/
http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/fats/
http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/carbohydrates/
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: Some basic info on nutrition, metabolism, etc.

Postby Michael on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks, will check it out.
Michael

Postby everything on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:19 pm

Immediately took krill oil.

Good posts, thanks.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:17 am

Yeah I've been looking at my diet more and more from a "building-blocks" perspective over the past few years. I've been intuitively diversifying it as much as I could, e.g. in a lunch salad bar I take a tiny bit of almost everything, instead of loading up on 3 or 4 "favorite" foods, generally avoiding carb-heavy stuff. But it's really nice to begin to understand some of these things in a bit more detail (and to feel good about my intuitive dietary choices, having found a scientifically-supported basis for them :)).

Had no idea what could be made from what, how some "food elements" are essential and must be eaten, and that we don't actually have to eat any carbohydrates at all! 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:12 am

yeah I read before that "essential" means your body cannot make it so must consume it.

however it's slowly sinking in...

around this time of year it's hard to avoid chocolates and cookies, though!!! ugh!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:19 am

I think it's OK -- as long as you offset that with enough protein, fiber and exercise... :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic