Sleep

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Sleep

Postby aiasthewall on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks Willie.

But if Ambien and Lunesta don't work, Melatonin sure as hell won't.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby Strange on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:13 pm

aiasthewall wrote: I do think that the worst the insomnia began when I started grappling regularly.

cut down the man massaging, mess up the breathing rhythm, not good.
that coffee too. drink chrysanthemum and chinese cooling herbal tea,
slow and calm that thinking speed down.

like down to 1 km/h.
good sleep soon.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:23 pm

aiasthewall wrote:Thanks Willie.

the regular sleeping pills don't work on me well and then when they do, I have a very hard time getting up in the morning.
My doctor just recommended Melatonin to me a few months ago, it helps out some and it's safe to use long term.

The other thing that really works for me is turkey.
Last edited by willie on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Michael on Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Strange wrote:
Michael wrote:....but the only cure was love, to be quite honest.

As I see things, stress/tension/constriction has the opposite effect as love/joy/relaxation/opening and an underlying stress problem probably means that there is an antidote in the form of love/joy/relaxation/opening that may not be an obvious polar opposite to the apparent causes of symptoms, such as sleep deprivation and quality issues, but the love connection is there, waiting to be accessed.
Michael

Postby wiesiek on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:58 am

-joint-
when I was smokin`- always had good sleepin` time and wake up /early/in good shape,
now, in no smokin` mode have too much dreams thru the night, and wakin` up little tried ???
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:22 am

but,
if you don`t smoke ,
you may try >blocking negative energy< when in the bed:
- chant basic mantra seven times /om pade hum, or - om barerum dei / not necessary loud, sound can be in the mind only,
- imagine red energy stream- emitting from throat chakra in to the space
- then, reflection of it is returning to you and forms cocoon /net/ surrounding your body
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:13 am

I get about 6 hours every night, and that works for me -- no matter what happens beforehand, almost. I think your body knows how much it needs. If your schedule permits, try napping whenever you feel like it. Everybody's different.

Have you tried self-suggestion? Tell yourself exactly what you would like to happen. Then set and forget. Or, tell yourself a bedtime story (in your head). It's just a distraction, no different than counting backwards or counting sheep.

And you might also start recording your daily/nightly experience on paper. Try something different each night for a week, then check to see which worked best. Do that.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:52 am

How do you feel with the sleep you're getting?

Are you getting manic, depressed, how much energy do you have?

How much sleep are you getting before you wake up ? For quite a large time of our social development we'd sleep for four hours, get up for a few hours, then go back to sleep for four hours.

Is it the same time every night? What are you like at the corresponding time during the day? Do you wake up at 3AM and have an energy lull at 3PM? Addressing the mid-day slump can help with the mid-night wake-up.

Are you having GI trouble ? Heartburn or need a trip to the potty?

I like a nice slow meditative long form before bed and first thing in the morning. If I wake up in the night and can't get right back to sleep I make use of the time. Some nights I still just can't go down for one reason or another.

Cannabis is a double-edged sword. It helps with sleep, but then also makes you dependant on it for sleep. At least for me it does. It also, like alcohol, tends to make the sleep less restful. However I cannot say enough for smoking a big bowl of some kush and then spending a half-hour or so standing.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby BonesCom on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:34 pm

aiasthewall wrote:Thanks Willie.

He's not far off the mark, however you do have to careful with dosing.

I've always had problems sleeping, the only regime that helped me was a combination of valerian root, phytomelatonin and fresh hops.
Valerian root an hour before bed, phytomelatonin (sour cherry juice) 20 min before then stick some hops in a sock and have it close to your nose as you try to drift off.

Melatonin supplementation (for me at least) took about a month to have an appreciable effect, and you have to take it everyday at about the same time. Be careful about dose, too high and you'll have vivid dreams.

It's the hops that set it off for me, but I always had more of an issue getting off than staying asleep.
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby aiasthewall on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks Bones. I have tried Melatonin in the past; it didn't really work and just made me groggy in the morning. But perhaps as you say, I did not do it for long enough.

I really think the answer is getting serious again about my meditation practice. It has gone on the backburner (hard to get motivation when exhausted all the time), but it is really the only thing that has helped.

But I am gonna give the different sleep cycle trick a try as well!

Thanks again!
aiasthewall
Anjing

Previous

Return to Off the Topic