everyone should live in china at least once

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

everyone should live in china at least once

Postby grzegorz on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:42 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: everyone should live in china at least once

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:05 am

Modern orientalism... Another article looking at everything strange, wierd and irritating. I wonder if she made any friends or even made the effort to get to know people there. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:36 am

..." Living in the pollution will make you have a greater appreciation for the environment, ..."
hehe
not only in China, when you try Kraków in winter, suddenly, u may became Beijing lover .
Have the impression, that lot of things in this article may fits in the many of the our planet places nicely , sadly - not included girls fan club... :'(
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:44 am

Really can not recommend living in mainland China, would mostly warn against it for health reasons. Try Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, just about anywhere else.
Michael

Postby KEND on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:05 am

Would recommend living in another country for at least a year, it gives a different perspective when you adjust to a different culture
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:06 pm

KEND wrote:Would recommend living in another country for at least a year, it gives a different perspective when you adjust to a different culture

+! definitely.
Michael

Postby origami_itto on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:18 am

Everyone should smoke crack for at least one weekend in Vegas.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:16 am

Do it right and make it China already!

China will be the world's number economy before we know it.

Been to Taiwan, Europe, Russia, Mexico, the Caribbean, Philipines and there is no comparison to mainland China although India is probably even more intense, witnessing China is witnessing history.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:02 am

grzegorz wrote:China will be the world's number economy before we know it.
... there is no comparison to mainland China although India is probably even more intense, witnessing China is witnessing history.

Actually the process is more a kind of normalizing- China through the history has always had 17-20% of the world's resources. It has been low throughout the 20th century and it's still below those figures, so China is just regaining it's former strength. Maybe China's economy will continue to grow beyond that or maybe it will just collapse very soon. Who knows? :-\
Bao
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Witnessing the collapae of China would be witnessing history too.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:57 am

Well, if China can keep its people fed and housed, it won't fall. That is, and will be it's biggest problem. It doesn't have to dominate the global economy.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:04 am

I think the CCP is basically propped up by the financial interests that like to use its sweat-shop and slave labor population. If those interests were attacked successfully on the political, tax or legal fronts in their "home" countries back in the West, the CCP would be extremely vulnerable, but that is just one pick-up stick in the whole house of jenga, so who knows.
Michael

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:16 am

Steve James wrote:Well, if China can keep its people fed and housed, it won't fall.

There are black holes right here on earth. At least Chinese economy has one of them. :P
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:08 am

Due to my work I’ve lived in a number of places in Asia for yrs at a time as an expat.
Worked in Southern China, Guangzhou, lived in Beijing where my focus was only to practice and train with my teacher and his group there.

I remember my first trip into china for work. Taking the bus from HK to Guangzhou. After the passport check going into china. It seemed like leaving a picture where everything was in color going to one where everything was in black and white. The skies always seemed to be overcast with a yellow tint, In talking with the locals many from different places most didn’t seem to care for the area.

In high tech, often the work is long, and kind of stressful but also can be interesting and fun overcoming language barriers trying to figure out what happened with some production tool. In Chinese the words “ I don’t know” were pretty much the standard answer when asked what happened.

China, is China. Depending on one's own outlook it can be very fun and interesting or very frustrating and depressing. I don’t think I could really work there long term in my field, but just training with my teacher and his group was very rewarding, interesting and informative.
I call them my taiji family, indeed that was how I felt and still feel.

Having said this, I am sure that others would echo my thoughts, there seems to be a level of understanding
that unless one was brought up there it will never really make sense. For me I just noted it.

I would highly recommend anyone studying Chinese MA to go there. The locals seemed to be
very happy and proud of being able to share some of their culture and help with what they know is a very daunting path to follow.

I remember while in Tianjin, watching a chen stylist practice he noted my interest and asked if I did ph and would like to try. I said ok, to his surprise threw him out. An older woman watching said something to him and came over to play. This time I was the one thrown out. I had asked my friend who was that, and what did she say. My friend said “ that was his mom, she told him what he did was not correct, and showed him the correct way”

Had to laugh way to go “mom”
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:12 am

windwalker wrote:China, is China. Depending on one's own outlook it can be very fun and interesting or very frustrating and depressing. I don’t think I could really work there long term in my field, but just training with my teacher and his group was very rewarding, interesting and informative.

The problem, as I see it, is not personal reference, but the fact that as a foreigner, you'll probably never experience China as a Chinese does. So people are mostly fooling themselves if they believe they have a knowledge about China. You can study or work in China for several years without really experience China behind the curtains. As a foreigner, you will always have the best healthcare, the best work conditions, as well as different treatment. You will never experience the complicated relationships with parents and siblings. You'll never encounter the everyday corruption, have to deal with Chinese authorities etc, etc, etc...

Most people who go to China just want to live in China as a foreigner or as a tourist and have all the benefits as a foreigner. Then it's fun of course. Being a Chinese in China is truly like living in another world.
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic