more programming: any javascript experts here?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

more programming: any javascript experts here?

Postby everything on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:04 pm

trying my programming Qs on RSF again since you came through with answers for me on Python. ;D

I'm trying to build an app with python on the backend (don't want node.js etc.) so that I can do "data science" with pandas and maybe scikit-learn ("machine learning").

Ideally I want to make a nice front-end like Evernote or other similar apps use. However it's been like 15 years since I knew any front-end JS. I'm basically re-learning html, css, js, which is fine, but what should I learn after that? angular? JQuery? This is perhaps overly ambitious but then again why not? It seems like fun.

Thanks for any advice from you knowledgeable web devs out there in RSF land!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: more programming: any javascript experts here?

Postby Dmitri on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:22 pm

I think JQuery is a must since several other libraries are built on top of it. (Aside from it being a really good/useful tool in its own right.)

The rest really depends... I was able to do pretty much anything I needed (so far) with JQuery; others swear by Bootstrap, etc.

Angular/Bootstrap probably a better idea for mobile-friendly design.

Best of luck!
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:25 pm

ok thanks for the tips! I went back through the html and css plus bootstrap tutorials on w3schools and going through the javascript now. next is jquery, then angular. kinda at the beginning so not sure when I can actually get some of the actual code I want to do done. exciting and frustrating to be at square one and asking a Q on RSF is probably partly procrastination. :P
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby meeks on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:31 pm

We've been working with AngularJS for the last few years, versions 1.0 and now 2.0. I strongly urge against Jquery - once you start using something like AngularJS you'll have absolutely ZERO need for JQuery and will realize taking the time to learn it before something like AngularJS is futile since there is no crossover on how it's done. I used Jquery for years before switching to AngularJS.

ps - AngularJS rocks!
Last edited by meeks on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby everything on Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks! Took a few days off so will skip JQuery!
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:24 pm

finally getting back around to this activity.

studying angularJS from various sources. I intend to use this front end with a python backend (data science), not node.js and assume that will be fine.

So far so good. Looks like great tech (until the next big thing happens w/o me knowing for a few years)
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Ok realizing rsf isn't stackoverflow ... although OTT is kinda like our personal reddit...

what I ended up doing was studying a little Angular, got derailed and studied a little React, came back to Angular. Roughly what I am messing around with now:

- mix of Angular/Python Flask
- both of these have url routers so it's easy to get confused but I think it'll work.
- Flask will be used for certain pages where I need some Python, but mostly backend (obviously).
- Flask also used for REST API to send data to Angular
- Angular used for other routing, mainly (obviously) for UI.

I am thinking (after some experimentation) I can mix these. What I'm not sure of is I'm going to put a template inside my partials area for an Angular page, and that template is going to allow upload of a file to process with Python. Not 100% sure that will work out.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic