Favorite shoulder rehab

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Favorite shoulder rehab

Postby aiasthewall on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Anyone have favorite shoulder rehab beyond the usual therband external/internal rotation stuff? I had a shoulder separation recently (at least assuming that's what it was...my AC joint on my right shoulder was protruding a lot, with pain all around that area), and am looking for some exercises to set the shoulder. There is too much stuff of youtube, difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks again!
aiasthewall
Anjing

Re: Favorite shoulder rehab

Postby everything on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:19 pm

hmm wow, there are PTs on the board who may be able to respond. I was thinking lately if you can do two exercises: 1. shoulder "dislocates" and 2. "halos" with a KB, those are pretty good for shoulder mobility and stability, assuming your shoulder is in good enough shape to do them. Not sure what happens when you should be doing rehab.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby fuga on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:39 pm

I'd be interested in what folks recommend as well.

I have the same issue in the left shoulder, but the doctor after an Xray and physical exam suggested that it was osteoarthritis.

I'd love to get some exercises to correct this if possible.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Hey guys. I'd recommend starting with these ones to improve the movement and stability of the scapula, which will take a lot of the stress out of the rotator cuff muscles.

Wall extensions (great for activating all of the posterior shoulder muscles, external rotators and releasing tension or impingements from the thoracic outlet):

Scapula pushups:

"Active hangs":

For the first one you need to keep the whole forearm and wrist pinned to the wall the entire time, the up-down movement is only within the range that you are able to keep the whole forearm pinned to the wall. Try it, it looks easy but for the first few months it's a killer exercise for many small muscles of the shoulder.

Scale the other two exercises back according to which stage of rehab you're at. Do the pushups on your knees, with legs wide, then legs together. Do the hangs with the feet touching the ground in the beginning.

The movement Akuzawa does at about 1:30 in this video is great as well for waking up and releasing tension from the rotator cuff muscles:

And then chuck in some cuban rotations, without weight at first but then gradually building it up:

I-mon
Great Old One

Postby aiasthewall on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Amazing, thank you I-mon. I will work on those and see what happens. First time I have really injured myself so it was a bit unnerving. Fuga sorry to hear about your shoulder. It's no fun.

Thanks again!!
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby wiesiek on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:46 am

adding some herbs treatment may help too /herbs for removin` stasis, invigorating blood and veins extension/
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby fuga on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:32 pm

aiasthewall wrote:Amazing, thank you I-mon. I will work on those and see what happens. First time I have really injured myself so it was a bit unnerving. Fuga sorry to hear about your shoulder. It's no fun.

Thanks again!!

Thanks, I-mon.

And aiasthewall, I'm always injured. I just rotate through body parts. ;D
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:35 am

Thanks a lot, Simon! I'm definitely adding these to my morning "routine" (was doing some of them sporadically before, but I think I need to focus on my shoulder girdle specifically/with more intent.)
That wall one feels like it's gonna move some things around a bit in there... 8-)

Wishes of quick recovery to all injured.

And Pete, stop rolling with them crazy youngsters! :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:45 am

Dmitri wrote:And Pete, stop rolling with them crazy youngsters! :)

Unfortunately, at this point, nearly everyone qualifies as a crazy youngster. The only guys older than me in the gym rarely roll anymore. :P
fuga
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Favorite shoulder rehab: ba shi.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic