Rousey KOed again

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Rousey KOed again

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Sure, but I was responding to Quinton Jackson in Pride being a seminal moment/game changer. That was a long time ago and triangles were and are still being used well after that. Of course, people train more bjj these days, and so it's a lower percentage move than it used to be as people know how to avoid it and work through it. I am not convinced that it was because of slamming.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Yeah, I see where you are coming from. I was not really talking about the slam anymore. But yes Fedor's first major loss that ended his career started with a triangle which was long after the Arona slam.

On the thread they also made good points about the guard not being effective for winning points in MMA as well.

I don't know if it is related but to be honest I think old school bjj was much more effective for MMA. Obviously you can't stop progress but I think the old school guys tried to stick with moves that were more MMA applicable whereas the newer techniques seem to be specific to winning grappling competitions.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:05 pm

I think it cuts both ways -

Currently Demien Maia has modified and perfected the old school approach for modern mma.

Ryan Hall has modified and perfected the new school Bjj for mma.

Take your pick!
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Agreed it does just take one person to change everything. Interesting that Hall doesn't use the triangle anymore though. I also find it interesting that Ryan's go to move, the heel hook, is illegal in most situations.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:17 pm

grzegorz wrote:Agreed it does just take one person to change everything. Interesting that Hall doesn't use the triangle anymore though.

I think he would if anybody was brave/foolish enough to engage him in his guard but they run away. He's left trying for footlocks from kicking range :)
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:30 pm

I hope to see him go up against other leglockers to get some more perspective.

Ryan is the man and has the best instructuonals out there!

Thanks for letting me what he is up to, I didn't know he won TUF. I have been out of the loop except for the main events of the UFC.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Grey vs hall

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/Gray_May ... e/10156229

Nobody will play with him on the ground ;D 8-)
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:29 am

Macenzie Dern is going to be big in MMA this year, I predict.

This was one of the best submissions of 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QFA0vGVHrw

Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:10 am

well
Rousey doesn`t give f...about KO, she menage to make $3 mil this year :P
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Ashura on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:31 pm

chud wrote:Ricardo Arona wasn't a fighter whose name was on the lips of the average fight fan, since he wasn't flashy, but if you look up his record and the names of the people he beat, you'll see what an upset it was for Rampage to come in and take him out via brute force like that.

Well, before fighting Arona Rampage had beaten strong fighters like Igor Vovchanchyn, the lamented Kevin Randleman, Mikhail Illyukin who was a very good fighter although not very famous, Murilo Budstamante (one of the leader of the BTT at the time) and Chuck Liddel before falling to the then invincible Wanderlei Silva.

Arona´s record at that time was not as impressive in my opinion even though he was controlling the fight extremely well before getting slamed.Had it gone the distance, Arona would have taken it without doubt.

This evening was the evening of the slams since Randleman also slamed Fedor, perhaps the craziest reverse slam/supplex in the whole MMA history.

See where there is no shape, hear where there is no sound.

Väck ej björnen som sover.
Ashura
Mingjing

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Captain America Civil War part 1 - I'm pretty sure the Winter Soldier slams Black Widow, thus proving the triangle technique is useless.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ashura on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:54 pm

Steve James wrote:Rampage's body slam is not something that most people aren't able to do. I dunno. Any pics of others doing it? Just curious.

You have a famous one here.

The first Fedor vs Nogueira Minotauro match was also interesting as Fedor escaped at least threee times from Nogueira´s supreme triangle choke attempts.

Ashura
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks for the videos. I think that if one can do it, no problem. I think a lot of people would have problems doing it, though. It's a strength move. (Nothing against that). Of course, it depends on the individuals. Anyway, someone's already mentioned that one response for the person is guard is simply to let go. But, keep the videos comin'.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ashura on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Steve James wrote:Thanks for the videos. I think that if one can do it, no problem. I think a lot of people would have problems doing it, though. It's a strength move. (Nothing against that). Of course, it depends on the individuals. Anyway, someone's already mentioned that one response for the person is guard is simply to let go. But, keep the videos comin'.

Strength is a factor of course, as it is often the case you better move out or react at the very begining of the opponent´s move otherwise it might be too hard and you will have to submit. There are quite a number of techniques to counter the sankaku jime but using the lower part of the back in a wawing motion to get up works quite well and allows you to lift your opponent up and have him neck crank himself if he does not let go, it is less violent/rough than the slam and works very well since the opponent is forced to open his legs and thus release the hold/choke/joint lock.

Ashura
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:58 pm

My point was that strength was necessary to pull off the move, but not necessary to counter it. I guess I was relating this to the idea that a "Rampage" discouraged those types of neck triangles.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic