Rousey KOed again

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Rousey KOed again

Postby everything on Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:56 am

KO'ed in 48 seconds. Looks like she learned nothing (at least about boxing, but probably about losing too) since the Holm fight. Well, she made at least $3million and has other career opportunities. Time to retire.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Rousey KOed again

Postby origami_itto on Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:06 am

Dammit, beat me to the punch. (That's what she said)
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:16 am

It happens to the best of 'em. That's what Las Vegas bets on. Rousey can still make loads of cash in rematches.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 pm

I feel bad for her in a few ways but not financially.

She needs to cash in in other ways while she can.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Shucks, I didn't feel sorry for Lesnar. I sympathize with Rousey because she had to live up to all the promotional hype. The public part of the loss is hard, but losing is just part of the game. Ali lost. Tyson lost. She can come back if it doesn't get in her head. But, it may be harder for her because of the spotlight.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:11 pm

After the last loss she should have taken time out to analyze her weak points, particularly boxing ability, I thought at the time a period with a good Thai Boxing trainer would bring her up to speed. Obviously her trainer thought otherwise, her stand up skills had not improved. As with the Gracies the move towards pound and ground made the ground game less important
KEND
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:11 pm

Watching that fight, I think the loss already got in her head. She looked like she had no idea what to do out there from the jump.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Having barely watched UFC for the last decade, can someone give me an overview of why ground and pound negates the ground game? I actually thought ground and pound was always a part of the ground game?
.Q.
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:53 pm

I think what KEND is getting at is that ground and pound is a different kind of ground game. It's not the highly technical submission game that takes years to master. Just a little bit of targeted training in escapes and back on the feet or G&P is all you really "need". A lot of guys just refuse to play around down there and it's getting more into striking and quick submits like Ronda's signature armbar.

I can't remember who it was, but one of the bigtime BJJ notables in K1 or something got picked up like a kettlebell and slammed into a knockout trying to put a triangle on some I wanna say Sambo guy a few years back. The obscurity of BJJ was its main strength, and now the mystery is gone.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:46 pm

A lot of people are criticizing her coach’s teaching skills and lack of a better game plan. Rousey’s punch defense was non-existent. Her ability to get inside the grappling range was stopped by Nunes’ punches.

Here’s Edmond’s (Rousey’s coach) corner audio.

Published on Dec 31, 2016
UFC 207: Full transcript of Ronda Rousey’s corner advice during loss to Amanda Nunes

Edmond Tarverdyan begging Ronda Rousey to move her head during fight (audio)

During tonight’s UFC 207 main event, The UFC had Ronda Rousey’s corner micd up for the entire fight and the results are pretty depressing.

In the video you can hear Rousey’s longtime trainer Edmond Tarverdyan pleading with Ronda to clinch. As the fight goes on you can hear him begin to yell “NO!” after he realizes what was about to transpire.

The best part of the video is Nunes walking over to Tarverdyan after the fight and telling him to be quiet.

Here Is The Audio Of Ronda Rousey’s Trainer, Edmond Tarverdyan, Reacting To Ronda’s Loss To Amanda Nunes In Real Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuqUvt244s
marvin8
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:19 pm

.Q. wrote:Having barely watched UFC for the last decade, can someone give me an overview of why ground and pound negates the ground game? I actually thought ground and pound was always a part of the ground game?

On an equal level where both are even in the ground game, the better trained and prepared will win.

With Rousey, my observations were that she was extremely deficient in the strike/punch/box domain but she did excel with newaza/BJJ. She was an Olympic champion and gold/silver winner.
For someone who does not meet the ground game criteria, they absolutely need to develop a striking/boxing counter and stay away from the grappler's range as Nunes did.
Even with the most recent Holm defeat, she (Rousey) still did not see it as being beneficial to up the boxing/striking/etc domain and it showed since she appeared out of it even in the beginning seconds of Round 1. Perhaps she was getting to "old", gaining/putting on too much weight and needed another venture away from UFC. I do not know this but the appearances are there.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:48 pm

I hope she deals with this loss better than the last. She said she was suicidal after the last loss.

FWIW, RR was an Olympic Bronze medalist, not Gold or Silver.

I hear Kayla H is thinking of making the jump to MMA, and *she* is a two-time Olympic Gold medalist.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Like Fedor and Crocop these undefeated champs seem to fall into a downward spiral once they suffer their first big defeat.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:04 am

oragami_itto wrote:I think what KEND is getting at is that ground and pound is a different kind of ground game. It's not the highly technical submission game that takes years to master. Just a little bit of targeted training in escapes and back on the feet or G&P is all you really "need". A lot of guys just refuse to play around down there and it's getting more into striking and quick submits like Ronda's signature armbar.

I can't remember who it was, but one of the bigtime BJJ notables in K1 or something got picked up like a kettlebell and slammed into a knockout trying to put a triangle on some I wanna say Sambo guy a few years back. The obscurity of BJJ was its main strength, and now the mystery is gone.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Thanks.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby chud on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:21 am

I have immense respect for Judo as a style, but Rousey is a world class Judoka and was literally walked down and then beat down by a skilled STRIKER. It seems she couldn't even employ the tactic of eating a punch on the way in to establish position and use her judo skill.
She could not even get through her opponent's gate!
I think after this match we are witnessing a turning point in MMA: throwing and grappling arts' place in the toolkit will be re-evaluated.
Last edited by chud on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
chud
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic