Rousey KOed again

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Rousey KOed again

Postby chud on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:57 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
grzegorz wrote:Quinton "Rampage" Jackson slammed Arona.

That's the one! Man it was really 12 years ago! Unreal how time flies.

That in itself wasn't a game changer, but it was the writing on the wall indicating the game had started to change, in my opinion.

Actually it was a game changer.
Ricardo Arona wasn't a fighter whose name was on the lips of the average fight fan, since he wasn't flashy, but if you look up his record and the names of the people he beat, you'll see what an upset it was for Rampage to come in and take him out via brute force like that.
Last edited by chud on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:16 am

Yeah that slam is brutal!

Even in Gracie tournaments where it is legal it causes a ton of outrage because it shuts down the whole triangle game in fact I don't believe I see the triangle at the pro level any longer (in MMA of course).

CROCOP SPOILER ALERT.

If you haven't watched it yet....he is back.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:27 am

I think Ronda did a fantastic job.
It's hard to even to step into the ring, what a courage!
If she can get a female professional boxer as a trainer, I am sure it will better her game.
Overlord

Postby Finny on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:37 am

grzegorz wrote:Yeah that slam is brutal!

Even in Gracie tournaments where it is legal it causes a ton of outrage because it shuts down the whole triangle game in fact I don't believe the triangle at the pro level any longer (in MMA of course).

CROCOP SPOILER ALERT.

Triangle is still very prevalent in MMA - increasingly 'from the top'

and Crocop is not 'back' - he beat a bright, shiny tomato can. But in that he is 'back' in the octagon/ring.. yes.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:16 am

Overlord wrote:I think Ronda did a fantastic job.
If she can get a female professional boxer as a trainer, I am sure it will better her game.

In the quiet words of the virgin mary, come again?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:13 am

Josealb wrote:
Overlord wrote:I think Ronda did a fantastic job.

In the quiet words of the virgin mary, come again?

I think Ronda did a fantastic job.
And I say with reasons.
Overlord

Postby Josealb on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:33 am

Wow. Just wow. Fantastic job, eh? I I guess we could have seen different fights, and we arent talking about the same thing. Thats always possible. ;D

Where was her basic head movement? never mind head movement, just her basic defensive movement to a straight punch to the face. Never mind basic movement, how about a normal reaction to being punched in the face for the 4th time? That was the absolute worst stand up i have ever seen in professional MMA. She looked like a child.

Of all the things we can talk about regarding Rousey, the one objective thing that exists as fact is that she did not do a fantastic job in that fight. I am very interested, and remain open for discussion, as to why you think that.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:27 am

Rousey is done. She needs to retire and go get Hollywood money while she can.

Her most recent fight demonstrated either her inability, or unwillingness, to learn striking/standup and in today's women's league that means she'll only continue to get knocked out.

If she keeps this up, she'll end up losing her pretty face and/or becoming become half-retarded like Chuck Liddell.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:57 am

to be clear, it is ok to lose
if you put up a good fight, land one or two really solid punches
even if you lose, you opponent will respect you
"this fella here, not for messing around"
or, he block your kick, he have to shake off the pain, very powerful kick! he would say

but if you are not present at the fight
then that might be construed as not respecting the opponent
then that might not be so good
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby chud on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:39 am

Peacedog wrote:Rousey is done. She needs to retire and go get Hollywood money while she can.

Yeah, I think Gina Carano handled things perfectly: leave near the top of your game, and go establish a name for yourself in Hollywood while you're still hot.
chud
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:02 am

Finny wrote:
grzegorz wrote:Yeah that slam is brutal!

Even in Gracie tournaments where it is legal it causes a ton of outrage because it shuts down the whole triangle game in fact I don't believe the triangle at the pro level any longer (in MMA of course).

CROCOP SPOILER ALERT.

Triangle is still very prevalent in MMA - increasingly 'from the top'

and Crocop is not 'back' - he beat a bright, shiny tomato can. But in that he is 'back' in the octagon/ring.. yes.

Perhaps but no longer from the bottom because of said slam, which is what I was discussing.

20 years ago though it was everywhere, perhaps it still is but I rarely see it in the main events of the UFC.

I remember Tito almost landed one but that was about it. I was sort of a triangle escape expert so I am not surprised in fact I never tapped to a triangle in my last two years no gi bjj.

Sure trash Crocop. What does your resume look like?
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:02 am

Rampage's body slam is not something that most people aren't able to do. I dunno. Any pics of others doing it? Just curious.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:08 am

The way I always saw it, that was right around the time Kettlebells literally exploded into the regular training of the MMA types.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Sankaku jime (triangle choke) is still used successfully in the UFC and other venues. Check out some N. Diaz highlights, etc...Lots of other examples. You just have to make sure your opponent is broken down so they can't post up then stand up. Also, just let go of the triangle if they pick you up (same with guard).

And yes, there are other examples of people slamming when in triangle; both in MMA and BJJ comp.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:29 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Sankaku jime (triangle choke) is still used successfully in the UFC and other venues. Check out some N. Diaz highlights, etc...Lots of other examples. You just have to make sure your opponent is broken down so they can't post up then stand up. Also, just let go of the triangle if they pick you up (same with guard).

And yes, there are other examples of people slamming when in triangle; both in MMA and BJJ comp.

I am not saying it is dead but I don't recall seeing much of it this year.

Here is a recent thread on Sherdog and it seems I am not alone in my view.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-th ... a.3305879/

Yes, when posture is broken it is harder to stop but I would still to find an opening going up against the best triangle chokers in my gym. People thought I just had a strong neck which I did but more than that I understood about ten escapes and the concepts behind them and learned to use them in combination.

Dropping my shoulders always created space.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic