stretching for dummies

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

stretching for dummies

Postby everything on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:03 pm

basically, what's your one tip to help a stretching dummy?

(Dummy=me). No matter what I do, I'm not very flexible, and I'm almost positive I just train incorrectly or don't do it enough. Or just sit around reading RSF too much. Who knows. Ready to work on it in a smarter way.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: stretching for dummies

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:16 pm

One tip? Take your time with it (i.e. hold the stretched position for at least 30 seconds), and do it as frequently as possible throughout the day. Think about trying to stretch a leather belt -- it's not going to produce any tangible results if you just tug on it once a day for a few seconds.

OK can't help it - tip two (much more important): remember that everyone's different; don't try to be "as flexible as that person", or to be as flexible as you think you "should be". The key IMHO isn't achieving some ultimate flexibility goals, but just keeping things (in your body) moving around frequently enough, and with enough range. IOW, don't let your "I'm not very flexible" thought bother you. "I'm not moving enough" is a much better formula for concern. :)
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby JoeWood on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 pm

http://www.dragondoor.com/b14/

Don't want to sound like an infomercial but it worked for me.
JoeWood
Anjing

Postby everything on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:51 am

Ok thanks a lot, gents. I think for me, the "not moving enough" is the main issue as well as taking more time in each position.

Adding Pavel's book to my list!
Last edited by everything on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:13 am

PNF or balistic stretching. For recovery reasons I prefer more and more balistic stretching.
I can suggest Craigs Video at

https://awarerelaxedconnected.com.au/
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks, those videos look awesome.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Dmitri wrote:One tip? Take your time with it (i.e. hold the stretched position for at least 30 seconds)

My current method for this is three breaths in each stretch, slow as you can manage, "inflate" the body on inhalation, deepening the stretch and loosening on exhalation.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic