13 Wounded at Fort Lauderdale Airport

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

13 Wounded at Fort Lauderdale Airport

Postby windwalker on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm

A gunman, identified by NBC News as Esteban Santiago, 26, is reportedly in custody after at least five people were shot and killed at Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International airport Friday.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: 13 Wounded at Fort Lauderdale Airport

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:41 pm

The world is a beautiful place full of people determined to make it ugly and difficult for no reason whatsoever.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:21 am

I think they have their reasons.

EDIT: I think we have our reasons.
Last edited by Michael on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby RobP3 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:07 am

They are looking at "mental illness", it seems the guy had been to the FBI previously and claimed "CIA was forcing him to watch ISIS videos"

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/01/06/sen-bill-nelson-identifies-suspected-fll-gunman/
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:08 am

He’s mentally ill but knows enough to sit or lie down after he runs out of ammo.
Not buying the story. Could be but seems unlikely.

Wonder how he bought the gun. If he checked it into baggage
He would have to have proof of legal ownership of it.

According to senior officials, the suspect flew from Anchorage, Alaska to Fort Lauderdale via Minneapolis. He boarded the plane in Alaska last night. He only checked one bag -- a hard case carrying his gun, Anchorage Airport Police told ABC News. TSA regulations allow guns to be checked into baggage if they are stored in a locked, hard-sided container that cannot be easily accessed.

looks like he had the right paper work for the weapon.
wonder why traveling only with a gun did not raise any red flags.
where did he have the bullets if its only 1 checked gun case..
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:03 pm

I don't get why would he have to go through all the trouble of checking in the weapon and flying on an airplane at all, -- why not just walk into an airport (or any public-enough place, for that matter) and just start shooting people...? Are those recruitment videos specifically encourage airports or something?
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Dmitri wrote:I don't get why would he have to go through all the trouble of checking in the weapon and flying on an airplane at all, -- why not just walk into an airport (or any public-enough place, for that matter) and just start shooting people...? Are those recruitment videos specifically encourage airports or something?

When prisoner transport/dignitary protection/etc flies on commercial aircraft, they have to declare said weapons. If loaded, ammunition and weapon are separated and latter placed in a secured locked container until arrival at destination. They then retrieve articles at final stop. Protocol wasn't followed but as was stated in some newspaper articles, instruction were followed whereas the loading took place when fellow landed. The whole story lack followup due to stuff that is left out purposely, or media just did not know the regulations/guidelines.

Facts are that the fellow was a mental case allegedly under observation but he seemed as if he would have done the act, regardless of airport, bus station or other facility
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:42 pm

It is probably worth noting that Fort Lauderdale Airport is the most commonly used hub when getting to PR, where he used to live and serve. He was no doubt familiar with the airport, making it not quite as random as it might seem otherwise.

If anything, this further highlights the need to address the availability of firearms to the mentally ill.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:47 pm

Condolences to the families that lost people

“They then retrieve articles at final stop. Protocol wasn't followed but as was stated in some newspaper articles, instruction were followed whereas the loading took place when fellow landed. The whole story lack follow up due to stuff that is left out purposely, or media just did not know the regulations/guidelines.

Facts are that the fellow was a mental case allegedly under observation but he seemed as if he would have done the act, regardless of airport, bus station or other facility”

I would also have to say from what I’ve read that some facts or points are left out of the story.

How did he have the ammunition, it's been reported that he only checked in the gun case.
It also would seem like protocol wasn’t followed…

I’m sure after the lawyers meet with the families some of this will be brought to light.

Mental case, under observation?
Our mainstream media is failing the US.

In most of the acts the narrative
used by the media is surprisingly or maybe scarily the same.

Mental case
Lone wolf
No ties with ISIS ect

Which then starts to unravel as time goes by or worst drifts off the radar.

People lost their lives, where is the accountability
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm not understanding some of the repeated questions here. You are absolutely allowed to check ammunition, as is clear on most airline websites. Unlike driving around, you don't even have to have it in a separate locked container--it can be in the same locked hard-case as the pistol.

Ammunition

Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting ... ammunition
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

Correct, somewhere I was told they had to be in separate cases I think this was in reference to ones car.
In checking it seems like the law is the same.

There is no prohibition in the state codes against also carrying ammunition within the same motor vehicle or compartment in the vehicle, as long as the firearms are not loaded and ammunition is not attached in any manner to the firearm. - Penal Code Sections 12025, 12026,

Which I find strange working for a security company many years back I thought we had to have the ammunition, in a separate case or not close to the weapon.
when going to and from work...
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:00 pm

I just moved across country and got to know many of the state laws. They all seemed to be different, which was insanely annoying. One could easily think they are following the law and get into serious trouble. :-\
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:16 pm

I just moved across country and got to know many of the state laws. They all seemed to be different, which was insanely annoying.

Fwiw, Florida accepts ccw permits from any state that issues them, no matter the regulations were in that state.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Oh, that was just some random (and totally unrelated to this thread) griping about the move from hell. I didn't even really move all the way across country (Oregon to Florida would have been pretty intense), just what seemed like it. Tornado warnings, 40+ mile an hour winds, a tow dolly that I had to repair with random hardware more than once, etc...

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand: if the reporting from the FBI is accurate, it's nuts that this guy had firearms. A very sad incident that should be preventable.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic