Buddha Boy

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Buddha Boy

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:51 am

KATHMANDU (AFP) – A young man believed by followers to be a reincarnation of Buddha has returned to Nepal's jungles to meditate alone, police said Saturday, as scholars cast doubt on his supporters' claims.

Known as the "Buddha Boy," Ram Bahadur Bomjam, 18, became famous in 2005 after supporters said he could meditate motionless for months without water, food or sleep.

"Bomjam went back into the jungle late Friday and all the devotees have left," police officer Gobinda Kushwaha told AFP from Neejgad, a town in Bara District, 60 kilometres (37.5 miles) south of Kathmandu.

The "Buddha Boy" reappeared earlier this month after supporters said in March 2007 that he was going to meditate for three years in an underground bunker, although he was spotted on two occasions.

For the last 10 days, he has been blessing thousands of devotees who came daily to the site in dense jungle close to Neejgad.

The president of the Nepal Buddhist Council said claims by his supporters that he was a reincarnation of Siddartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism, were not credible.

"We do not believe he is Buddha. He does not have Buddha's qualities," said Mahiswor Raj Bajracharya, president of the Nepal Buddhist Council, a centre for Buddhist study and research in Kathmandu.

"He may have achieved great heights in meditation, but that alone does not make him a Buddha. A Buddha needs life experience, a young man who has not seen the world at all cannot be a Buddha," said Bajracharya.

Despite being officially secular under the new Maoist government, Nepal -- where around 80 per cent of people are Hindu and 11 per cent are Buddhist -- remains a deeply spiritual place.

"This is a country where people worship idols and stones, and everyone educated or not believes in the supernatural," the Buddhist scholar said.

Some 7,000 people gathered Friday to hear the youth speak.

"Materialism has brought forth fear, worry and disputes and has created war in this country. One should follow religion and philosophy for inner happiness," Bomjam told the crowds in a 15-minute address.

People joined a six-kilometre (3.75-mile) queue to be blessed, a wait that 43-year-old farmer Singha Bahadur Tamang said was worthwhile.

"This is a miracle and he is the reincarnation of Lord Buddha himself," said Tamang, who traveled eight hours by bus to hear Bomjam speak.

"I've been here for the last 10 days and the feeling is amazing. I really feel at peace here," he said.

The head of the committee that organises events around Bomjam insists he survives without food and water.

"We have never seen him eat or drink and we believe he's a god in human form," said Bed Bahadur Thing, president of the Buddha Jungle Meditation Conservation and Prosperity Committee.

At the height of Bomjam's fame, a French TV crew filmed the youth eating fruit and an AFP correspondent caught him napping.

On Friday, visitors to the jungle site put money into collection boxes, though Thing declined to say how much had been collected.

"Many people say we're just doing this for the money, but we have expenses for volunteers, food, security and maintenance," he said.

"After he has gone back into the jungle, we will make our accounts public."

So, not that he's the buddha or anything, but isn't this a poor rebuttal...buddhist-wise?

"We do not believe he is Buddha. He does not have Buddha's qualities," said Mahiswor Raj Bajracharya, president of the Nepal Buddhist Council, a centre for Buddhist study and research in Kathmandu.

"He may have achieved great heights in meditation, but that alone does not make him a Buddha. A Buddha needs life experience, a young man who has not seen the world at all cannot be a Buddha," said Bajracharya.[/quote]
Last edited by shawnsegler on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Re: Buddha Boy

Postby GrahamB on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:33 pm

"Materialism has brought forth fear, worry and disputes and has created war in this country. One should follow religion and philosophy for inner happiness," Bomjam told the crowds in a 15-minute address.

Damn it all. I kind of expected more from the Buddah. You can read shit like that on the Internet ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby C-Hopkins on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:12 pm

GrahamB wrote:

Damn it all. I kind of expected more from the Buddah. You can read shit like that on the Internet ;D

that's true. most times it comes from places like Lao Tse, Buddha,...

If someone is not a Buddha, they have no place saying whether or not another person is. i feel like that's between buddha boy and god.

If one doesn't believe in him, just don't follow him.

I would say it's interesting though that the dalai Lama is also supposed to be the reincarnation of Buddha as well. Perhaps the spirit of Buddha has been run though clone-a-pet. ;D
Last edited by C-Hopkins on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby David Boxen on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:23 pm

We are all little buddhas, waiting to remember our true nature ;)
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby I-mon on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:45 pm

C-Hopkins wrote:I would say it's interesting though that the dalai Lama is also supposed to be the reincarnation of Buddha as well.

I'm pretty sure the DL is supposed to be an incarnation of avalokiteshvara, one of the bodhisattvas. ie not the buddha.

thanks for the article about the buddhaboy, i had been wondering what happened to him. also good to hear that he likes to eat fruit and take naps.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:13 pm

NOBODY can go for months without water.
Ian

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:52 pm

I screwed up in my post, but the bottom quote in that first one...doesn't that seem like not very buddha-like?

I thought everyone is able to waken to their buddha nature. Saying someone has to be a certain age seems ludicrous. Especially coming from someone who is some kind of authority figure.

Maybe I just don't understand.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:02 pm

shawnsegler wrote:I thought everyone is able to waken to their buddha nature. Saying someone has to be a certain age seems ludicrous. Especially coming from someone who is some kind of authority figure.

also, the future buddha i supposed to attain realization very quickly (like 6 days as opposed to six years of meditation).
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:05 pm

shawnsegler wrote:I thought everyone is able to waken to their buddha nature

you are correct, sir!
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:39 pm

qiphlow wrote:you are correct, sir!

depends on how you look at it.

everyone has the potential to become realized at some point, but not necessarily in the current life depending on "how much dust they have on their eyes".

those with a lot of heavy kamma won't be able to gain enough insight, or even care about whether or not they should.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby David Boxen on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:54 am

I don't know about you guys, but I'm fully self realized/actualized/buddhasized

...at least that's what my mom told me
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby qiphlow on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:46 am

ashe wrote:
qiphlow wrote:you are correct, sir!

depends on how you look at it.

everyone has the potential to become realized at some point, but not necessarily in the current life depending on "how much dust they have on their eyes".

those with a lot of heavy kamma won't be able to gain enough insight, or even care about whether or not they should.

but the point is that everyone has the potential and the tools to awaken to their own true nature, regardless of their situation.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:52 am

the buddha nature exists in everyone. this is true. we all have potential to be magnificent and great.

so why don't we?

or more importantly, why don't I is the question we need to ask ourselves.

as for buddha boy, meh. There's hundreds of guys all over the world just like that. I wish there were millions. I wish I could be one of them but for whatever reason, I am preventing myself from doing so. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:03 pm

There are too many enjoyable diversions from the rather difficult path of greatness, the path of least resistance for one.
Bär
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic