Old person shuffle

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Old person shuffle

Postby everything on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Why do middle aged people run with what I call

Old Man Shuffle?

How do I prevent or reverse this pattern?

Yeah it's loss of elasticity etc but still.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Old person shuffle

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Don't just lift the foot and shuffle forward. Push off your toes.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:16 am

friction step
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:43 am

Don't underestimate the shuffle!!!!

Finny
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:12 am

Instil in yourself the habit of one-foot balance when standing and walking. Don't just take a step, take a root, at least to some extent: connect to the ground when you walk, at least minimally and momentarily, and make a habit of it.

That is the single most important thing I found in improving the posture and stability of elderly persons, and it is a good idea to get the habit in middle age rather than waiting until your nineties. It is possible to do one-footed ZZ in a Zimmer frame, and show improvements in your balance and stability, but it is better if you are not starting that far behind the game.

When you look carefully at the series of actions involved in the old person shuffle, you see that where the body weight is supported is rather a disorganized and shifting matter. Far better not to let such habits develop. At the conclusion of each step, there should be a clear answer to the question of where the forces are going: into one foot or the other.

See: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20568
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:59 am

jimmy
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:00 am

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:05 am

[youtube]https://youtube.com/KymFaQlc2hQ/[/youtube]
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 am

lol, ok thanks. for me personally, one footed balance is pretty decent. maybe not compared to younger IMA people but probably way better than middle aged runners. I mostly play soccer (football/futbol) so change of direction and a few sudden sprints and stops is really the name of the game. But running around (indoor on a hard surface), shuffling just seems way easier on all the joints. But I don't necessarily like this habit. When I see myself shuffling around when we sometimes take video, it's a bit troubling. Mind you I don't look like the middle aged "runners" I see around town. Those people - I just want to tell them forget it and take up taijiquan and yoga for a while, but what can you do. I suspect what I and they need is much more flexibility. Maybe jump on the rebounder.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 am

The "old person shuffle" can involve a multitude of issues. One of my old teachers from Taiwan would say that the Rape of Nanjing happened because people couldn't stretch their legs to run away. He complained that the Chinese people then were not physically fit. That didn't include martial artists. But, at any rate, it's what eventually led to the mass physical education programs. Still, we can see elderly Chinese people shuffling.

There are loads of studies on gait. Fwiw, I had to almost completely relearn how to walk after a spinal operation. When they say, "All it takes is putting one foot in front of the other," they're lying ;). One thing that you can always observe is stride length. Shuffling means taking small steps (for any number of reasons, including balance). A longer stride (if you are lucky enough to be able to stride), indicates a more efficient system. Arm-swing also plays a part. Older people who shuffle do not swing their arms. However, that swing is affected by shoulder, waist, and hip mobility (or spine, generally). If your back is stiff, etc., etc.

Also, because balance is involved (as Klonk importantly points out), eye, ear, and head position is important. If you look down, you throw off the ear orientation. Moreover, now your head wants to pull you forward. So, your body weight goes to the front of your feet, and you are essentially falling into each step. That can lead to hammer toes, but the effect is to slow the gait down to avoid pain in the feet. Slowing down also means that there is a tendency to do less walking, and you can imagine where that leads.

That's my experience.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:52 am

Interesting. For sport specific reasons I deliberately use short steps for changes of direction and feints. With a little looking down at times. Very rarely is a high speed straight line run needed.

That shouldn't affect normal gait I hope. It's not that bad for me, but I want to be mindful of this pattern. I guess I should probably do some longer length stride runs plus extensive stretching as a balance.

Of course, a larger issue is - why does it feel less good to have all that impact as we age? I think that's why we see these people shuffling. There is less cartilage and elasticity and cushion everywhere.
Last edited by everything on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:14 am

Walk like a young person :) Erm, before smartphones and Instagram.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:19 am

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:44 am

Skipping rope might be a way to practice impact management, along with timing and balance. You develop a certain vertical elasticity, act like a vertical shock absorber, because you are practicing up-and-down movement in isolation from the forward movement of running.

Some years ago, JW recommended to me that hopping on one foot is a very good way to develop "dynamic rooting" (as a development of the static rooting you develop by standing in a ZZ pose). The longer you think about that advice, the more sense it makes.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:57 am

I once heard Vladimir Vasiliev say how men die from the feet up. The shuffle can come about through tension and fear of falling or being unsteady, which creates more tension. I have to go round my neighbour's quite regular to assist, he is 90 and often falls over, even with his frame. His upper body is locked solid.

So apart from stretching and the other advice I'd suggest some floor work to develop mobility - especially hips and shoulders - and some falling and rolling to keep the fear out of the body for as long as possible
Last edited by RobP3 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic