Delta Skymiles - kinda useless?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Delta Skymiles - kinda useless?

Postby everything on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:59 pm

I have seemingly a lot of skymiles but not enough to have "status".

What do I do with these seemingly useless skymiles? Getting a free flight seems super expensive but I don't want magazines, etc., etc.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Delta Skymiles - kinda useless?

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:03 pm

I used to use mine for first class upgrades. If you fly a lot, totally worth it
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am

Yeah I no longer fly that often. I don't have enough miles for status to compete for the occasional free upgrade but I'll have to look into spending these miles for upgrades. Seems stupid for me not to use them for some kind of flying benefit. Really, since I'm only posting this on RSF, I should use them to go to the IMA events people keep listing! Ah... not enough days in the year for all the stuff I want/need to do. :-\
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Sometimes you can purchase additional miles and when added to the ones you already have end up with enough to upgrade. But you need to do the math on your end to see if it is worth it.

Over the last several years as ticket prices have dropped due to better competition most of the US airlines have gotten a lot less generous with the benefits unless you are truly a high mileage user. And the fact that some high profile users of airline miles, care of some pretty sophisticated software, have taken real advantage of the system has led to some pretty big cut backs as well.

Also keep in mind that airmiles tend to expire a lot sooner than they used to as well. So, smoke'm while you've got em!
Last edited by Peacedog on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Ticket prices have dramatically increased over the past ten years in a fairly steady trend. This is due to many factors, but there has been a massive reduction in competition. This is the case both domestically and for international travel. Tickets to Asia doubled about ten years ago and never went back down. The same trend holds for Europe and Africa.

Nice try, though. ::)

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs ... e-airfare/

http://fortune.com/2016/01/06/airfares-airlines-prices/

Anyway, I'm with Itto on the upgrades. You still need to fly quite a bit, but it's much easier than getting free flights. That is usually only attainable for people who fly very often for work.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Peacedog
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic