Whoops, apocalypse!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Whoops, apocalypse!

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:16 am

So, apparently, I now have friends that are banned from flying to America.

Donald Trump, I'm looking at you, and it ain't good.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Whoops, apocalypse!

Postby Dmitri on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:41 am

I hate the motherfucker as much as the next guy, but I really think "apocalypse" is a bit too much of a word here, -- and a wrong sentiment. Needs to be more direct IMO, instead of jumping to such dramatic conclusions so early in the game. More like "whoops, we put a nearsighted, egomaniacal asshole in the office..." It's fucked up, but it ain't the end of the world. ::)
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:44 am

Just give it time....
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:50 am

Some truth because you have these crazies (demagogues) who are trying so hard to be top dog and their fingers too close to the real weapons of mass destruction (ther real WMD) that it is scary.
And Israel is sitting back to see who blinks first! That is real strategy
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:52 am

Many yrs back my ex, was not allowed back in the US, stopped at the airport in Seoul. A "green card holder" for being out of country longer then 6 months.

We both were not aware of the rule at the time....I was working in another country during this time, she was visiting her home country. "Korea" ....
took a little while to fix the problem... :-\

a little scary when it happens, rules can and do change...

While an inconvenience, it's temporary and needed.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:57 am

GrahamB wrote:Just give it time....

That's my point.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:13 pm

windwalker wrote:Many yrs back my ex, was not allowed back in the US, stopped at the airport in Seoul. A "green card holder" for being out of country longer then 6 months.

We both were not aware of the rule at the time....I was working in another country during this time, she was visiting her home country. "Korea" ....
took a little while to fix the problem... :-\

a little scary when it happens, rules can and do change...

While an inconvenience, it's temporary and needed.

My god, you are daft.

Why is it needed? Have we had any terrorists coming from any of the blacklisted countries carry out attacks since Obama took office? Did you notice which countries are on the list and which are not? Did you think about who Trump has business dealings with? Do you think this sort of action will lessen or heighten the problems which you are so clearly worried about?

How can you honestly compare your wife not following bureaucratic rules that were already in place with the wholesale ban of people based on their country of origin (really, it's not about that, though)? We are talking about people who have correctly followed the rules, not ignoramuses like you. Apples and oranges.

The list of executive actions taken by Trump is already long and every single one I have read about has been appalling. Yeah, who cares about the environment? Why should we defend the values set forth by the Constitution? Who cares if we ban Muslims? Who cares if the President and his staff blatantly lie to the people and discredit the free press?

This is how it starts. Graham might have used a bit of hyperbole, but Dmitri, you seem to have your head in the sand. As for Windwalker...Not surprised, but this used to be America: land of the free and home of the brave. Now we can't all claim to be free, and you chicken shits can't claim to be brave.

The only thing that gives me hope is that we have a new wave of protests so I know there are people who have humane values and care about the real America. I have colleagues who are *right now* trapped overseas and unable to return home. This is shameful and disgusting. Anyone who supports this is a coward, unAmerican, and a disgrace.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Dmitri wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Just give it time....

That's my point.

I suppose that's what people said about Hitler. Did you see who Steve Bannon replaced on the National Security Council?
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:12 pm

GrahamB wrote:So, apparently, I now have friends that are banned from flying to America.

Donald Trump, I'm looking at you, and it ain't good.

It makes sense to review the present rules to see if they need to be strengthened or if there are weaknesses in them. The law covering this has been used by past presidents for the same rationale. The last one to use this law was the out going administration.

Did you or any of the others posting here mention anything about this back then?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Trump promised to ban people from Muslim countries. Now he has done that, just not from the countries with whom he has financial ties. Quit pretending it is something else.

I am open to learning something new. Can you tell me how and when Obama banned Muslims from entering the US, despite them having permanent resident status?
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:27 pm

From Trump's executive order:

In order to protect Americans, the United States must ensure that those admitted to this country do not bear hostile attitudes toward it and its founding principles. The United States cannot, and should not, admit those who do not support the Constitution, or those who would place violent ideologies over American law.

I have bolded the portion just to make clear to all readers here that this is exactly what Windwalker has been saying about all Muslims for a long time now. He has repeatedly stated that they are all followers of an "ideology" that is violent and incompatible with our way of life. Of course, Windwalker also gets the majority of his information from Steve Bannon's website, Breitbart. Steve Bannon clearly had a hand in the writing of this directive, which is unconstitutional and unamerican. Bannon has also recently been raised to a top level position on the National Security Council. This is getting way out of hand.
Last edited by Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:30 pm

You guys might not know this, but Whoops Apocalypse was a TV series in Britain in the 1980s. However I will agree on the point that Dmitri is daft as a brush, with a penchant for falling under the spell of the guru du jour for no logical reason ever since I've known him here. Things haven't changed - lol ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoops_Apocalypse
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:This is how it starts

You can't possibly know what might (or not) be starting here. An incompetent bigot is serving his own business interests/agenda. That is not what turns countries' systems of government on its head. The majority of people needs to be hungry and very unhappy with their lives. Maybe things have changed too much and what I consider a pretty damn good living conditions isn't seen as such by the majority of citizens, but I'm not seeing it happening here at this point. YMMV

Graham might have used a bit of hyperbole

Might? A bit? Yeah right. Let's throw some gasoline on that little spark. Panic and sensationalist whining doesn't help.

but Dmitri, you seem to have your head in the sand.

My head is straight up and eyes wide open, thankyouverymuch. It's just in a much cooler place than yours, apparently. :P

Breathe...
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:35 pm

I wasn't calling Dmitri Daft. I don't see eye to eye with him on politics, but that doesn't mean much. He seems reasonably thoughtful, intelligent, and like he reads books.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:41 pm

My head is straight up and eyes wide open, thankyouverymuch. It's just in a much cooler place than yours, apparently. :P

Breathe...

Why don't you tell my two colleagues who may have to drop out of their top level PhD program after investing over a decade between the two of them (not including the undergrad and MA training they did here and paid for just to get into the program) to "Breathe?" Or how about the people who worship at the Mosque that was burned down just after Trump's declaration? Or how about the people who are going to die as the Republicans knock people with preexisting conditions off healthcare?

Since when is speaking out against injustice "whining?" I am standing up against overt bigotry and racism. It is now being turned into law. But yeah, you just keep waiting. I'm sure you can feel proud of yourself.
Last edited by Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic